PDA

View Full Version : Who should we REALLY be targeting with our videos?

economics102
04-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Like several others here I'm sure, I'm trying to decide what to do as my next video. I have some ideas I think would be fun but I fear would just amount to preaching to the choir. I tried to target Obama supporters in my last video (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?371108-New-Video-quot-Ron-Paul-Real-Populist-quot&highlight=real+populist), but I don't think I achieved any real persuasive outreach.

I think if you look at the majority of RP videos the grassroots does, a lot of is targeted to the wrong audiences.

So I think it would be helpful if we could all put on our marketing hats and have a group discussion about what specific audiences and messages are worthwhile for us to target at this particular stage in the campaign.

To do this right, we have to take into account the remaining states, the nature of each state (caucus vs. primary, open vs. closed, proportional vs. winner-take-all), who are the real demographics that dominate these upcoming contests?

Also, what is the political action we're seeking? Does it matter if we increase Paul's straw poll results by 5-10% in a few states, or is that pointless? If so, what else could we try to do? Do we target people to get involved at caucuses? Do we make videos aimed at souring Republicans on Romney (I'm sure those will come out eventually but strategically does it make sense to do it now?)

Doug Wead has a new blog out where he outlines possible next moves for the campaign (http://dougwead.wordpress.com/2012/04/11/what-now-ron-pauls-path-to-victory/). Maybe the political action we should target will relate to this?

Anyway, please discuss. Personally I'm at a loss for what to do that would have a real impact. Obviously any video we make needs to go viral OUTSIDE the Ron Paul community, so let's figure out what has the potential to do that.

PolicyReader
04-11-2012, 03:17 PM
I think we have to go state by state with focus from here on and that while it would be ideal to have videos for every state upcoming we must be sure to have them for Texas and California. California specifically we need to focus on the blue republicans prior to the party registration date and then shift gears to target the more GOP heavy areas after the cutoff date.

That's my first pass, might have more when I've actually gotten some sleep :toady:

ps ~ it's not video but ZakCarter has been working on the radio angle and that definitively reaches beyond the Paul community, and I think it's an effort worth supporting.

JacobSzumniak
04-11-2012, 03:22 PM
We need to target Obama and Romney at this point. Rather simple show comparison of romney and obama showing they are the same. Then show Ron Paul rallys montage vs Mitts rallys n be like who do you think can beat Obama?

wistfulthinker
04-11-2012, 03:47 PM
I think it would be helpful to do a conversion stories video. New and old Paul supporters from across social, age, geographic spectrums telling their stories of how they came to the Paul side. One of the reasons I think this would be a good video focus is because people I talk to about my support for Paul are often surprised that I'm into Paul AND when I tell them how I found him, the conversation often opens up. I think there are a good many people who still think that taking Paul seriously is for the crazy people. I send emails with video links to friends in family in other states as those states' primaries or caucuses come up. I've gotten good millage out of that Donahue interview in which he talks about Paul's foreign policy being the only sane policy. I think because Donahue is remembered as a rational, trusted talk show host and the if-he-likes-Paul psychology kicks in. A video with a farmer, a housewife, a lawyer, a Democrat, an Eskimo, a soldier, a grandmother...all telling their conversion stories would really help. To make it go viral, you'd need some pretty interesting folks with cool stories.

Butchie
04-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Target seniors and Christians, going after people who aren't yet registered or don't know much about the process or Dems who MIGHT go change party affiliation is a waste of time. Save all that stuff for the general, for now we are in a Republican primary that is who is voting, Republicans. Dems, youth, anarchists, conspriacy theorists, etc are not going to spell victory, it's just a fact.