PDA

View Full Version : Annoucing the "End the Wars" party

nobody's_hero
04-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Let's start it up. Let it be known that the "End the Wars" party was founded on Ron Paul forums this 11th day in April, 2012.

I nominate Ron Paul for president.

On January 20th, 2013, Ron Paul will take office. He will be sworn in. Immediately after taking office, he will issue an order to all commanders of all branches in the field to make preparations to return home. In the mean time, we pressure congress to repeal the much-abused National Defense Act of 1916, which has served only to give presidents leeway to engage in wars first, before seeking permission from Congress, rather than using it for its intended purpose, to meet threats in the event that Congress cannot be called to session in time (because let's be honest, the 50,000,000 gun owners in this country are not going to have to wait for Congress's approval to repel an invasion, so the law was really stupid from the start).

Once the last soldier, airman, seaman, coastie, marine, and/or contractor has returned home, Ron Paul resigns.

That's about the only option we have to end the war.

I'm basing this off the "we agree" conference of 2008, where diverse 3rd party and independent candidates came together to endorse 4 basic but important platform issues.

I've made it simpler by narrowing it down to one: End the Wars.

FrankRep
04-11-2012, 02:38 PM
"End the Wars" is too broad of a statement and I highly doubt a one issue party could be successful.

nobody's_hero
04-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Whether successful or not, how else are we going to end the wars?

I'm really out of ideas here.

You could vote for a candidate who comes with a ton of other issues and hope to stand out with the war issue, without turning others off with other issues. But unfortunately, I think that's why there's 70% of the American people who want to see an end to the Afghanistan war, but they can't seem to consolidate around a candidate because they're too divided on other issues (personally I think that our current foreign policy is the most important, because people are dying, but . . .).

A one-issue party might be our only chance to start getting things done in politics.

I don't think we've ever been in a situation where it was so necessary to end a war that a candidate had to campaign on the promise that he would just end the wars and resign. But, I'm afraid that it may be coming to that, or else we will lose more lives and treasure while we look for candidates who try to be 'everything to all people', instead of 'one thing to all people.' (borrowed quote from Pat Buchanan)

narrowphoenix
04-11-2012, 03:46 PM
It should be called "legalize freedom" party