PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul gets warm Texas A&M welcome

sailingaway
04-11-2012, 10:00 AM
http://www.theeagle.com/assets/7918896/041112ronpaul2_w300.jpg

http://www.theeagle.com/assets/7918890/041112ronpaul1_w300.jpg

A spectator in Rudder Auditorium on Tuesday night might be pardoned for second-guessing the pundits' declarations that the fight for the Republican presidential nomination is all but over, as a lively, overflow crowd of nearly 3,000 rallied for candidate Ron Paul.

A half-hour before the event, the entire bottom floor of the auditorium was packed as a "President Paul!" chant spontaneously erupted. Hundreds sat cross-legged in the halls of the three floors surrounding the auditorium and listened on speakers after they weren't allowed in.

Outside, graduate student Derek Seidel held a "Ron Paul Revolution" banner. "Freedom is popular with youth," he said as a 26-year-old veteran, Jeff Lane of Huntsville, who opposes the United States' wars, collected information nearby for nominating convention delegates.

For $5 a pop, a vendor wearing a "Don't Tread on Me" shirt and raking in too much cash to have a moment to speak with a reporter was hawking Ron Paul campaign pins.

In the Rudder lobby, Frank Dobrovolny, a Class of 2002 Aggie who drove in from Rusk, just south of Tyler, plopped down $130 for Ron Paul bumper stickers, hats, shirts and signs for his wife, two daughters and himself.

"The fight for delegates is still ongoing, and it's real," the attorney said. "The mainstream media ignore him, marginalize him, anything they can to keep the anti-establishment candidate out."

more at link....

http://www.theeagle.com/am/-Revolution--at-Rudder--7093058

Forty Twice
04-11-2012, 10:26 AM
I was there. Whoop! Great crowd. Now I don't feel so alone. There's three thousand crazy Aggies that think like I do. It was "End the Fed" being chanted, not "End the Drug Wars". The crowd was very aware of NDAA and gave that idea a good hiss.

We have Republican County Conventions in Texas these next two weekends. In Brazos County, home of the Fightin' Texas Aggies, our convention is at 9 AM at the new Best Western hotel at the Boonville Rd exit. Be there! Was told Brazos county has 52 delegates. Usually not enough applicants to make 52 so establishment Repubs pick brothers, wives, and uncles to fill remaining spots. I think there are many more than 52 delegate candidates this time around. Will be interesting to see how things turn out Saturday morning.

raider4paul
04-11-2012, 11:43 AM
As a Red Raider I'm not much of a fan of A&M, but in this case I'll Gig 'Em for Ron Paul 2012!

Good showing, aggies.

CaptUSA
04-11-2012, 11:51 AM
"Freedom is popular with youth,"
Please, people... Quit saying this. This feeds into the media's portrayals.

"Freedom is popular with everyone. The youth get their media from more diverse sources."

If an older adult is exposed to the same information to which many of these "youths" are exposed, they will come to the same conclusions. This isn't about someone's age - it's about access to the ideas. And these ideas are being hidden by the media.

alucard13mmfmj
04-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Time to rile up some Texan's feathers =3.

How can Texas let a state like California beat them in the size of rallies?! I thought everything was bigger in Texas? You gonna let us fancy pants, cappucino sipping, pomeranian owning, hipsters in California beat you? XD

rp713
04-11-2012, 11:59 AM
i was there also! doors opened at 6pm for people with reserved tickets. when i got in there the whole bottom level was packed full. i rushed upstairs to the first balcony and got a good seat. the whole place was filled by 6:45. about several hundred in the halls watching on monitors. and about a thousand turned away. crowd was electric. finally got to see him in person. took like 40 min to get out the parking garage though. but who cares.