PDA

View Full Version : ID - Residents upset after 'friendly dog' shot by police

Anti Federalist
04-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Still a little early to tell what happened here, other than another puppycide.

Residents upset after 'friendly dog' shot by police .

http://www.ktvb.com/news/Residents-upset-after-friendly-dog-shot-by-police-146913425.html

BOISE -- Several residents in a Boise neighborhood want answers as to why a Boise Police officer shot and killed what they say was a “friendly dog.”

The shooting happened Monday just before 5 p.m. near Fairview Avenue and Curtis Road.

The dog's owner found out Tuesday morning that his 4-year-old pit bull named Indo died overnight.

Police say the dog was acting vicious and coming at the officer with what appeared to be the intent to attack.

But people in this neighborhood say that's not the dog they know.

“The dog ran in the middle of the street right here, was sitting here. You could see the blood pouring from his shoulder," said Jeraine Alvardo.

Just moments before, around the corner, two Boise Police officers were approaching a home looking for a man wanted for failing to appear in court.

Ryan McMurren saw the officers through his window.

"They were going up to the door, then I saw the dog come out, wasn't even going straight towards them, he was just running out because he was free," said McMurren.

Boise Police spokeswoman Lynn Hightower says the dog was outside for about 15 seconds.

"Then the officer says the dog ran at him growling, with his teeth bared, and the officer actually feared because of the actions and the attitude of the dog that he was about to get bit," said Hightower.

The officer then fired his gun three times, hitting Indo twice.

"He shot and then he starts making this wide loop around him and he continues to fire right here," said McMurren.

Indo made his way around the corner, leaving a trail of blood.

"I took care of Indo and I've got blood on my shoe, [my jeans] were covered and I washed them last night," said McMurren.

The Humane Society took Indo to try and save him, but he died overnight.

Andy Brent, his owner, wasn't home when the shooting happened.

"He's a friendly dog,” said Brent. “Everybody around here knows him. He's never bit no one or nothing. He's a good dog.”

Now the neighborhood has questions and Hightower says those should be directed to the Indo's owner.

"It's sad that they loss (sic) their dog,” said Hightower. “The message really is folks have to control their dogs. A 70-pound dog running at you can do a lot of damage."

Boise city code allows a person to protect themselves from a threatening animal. That includes shooting and killing the animal.

Any time an officer fires their weapon, the Boise Police Department conducts an administrative review. That already took place and Hightower says the officer did what any citizen is allowed to do.

Boise city prosecutors, who also handle Meridian cases, say they've had a handful of similar cases over the years involving citizens and officers and do not remember any charges being filed.

AME3
04-10-2012, 08:47 PM
a 70 pound puppy...

Still a little early to tell what happened here, other than another puppycide.

Residents upset after 'friendly dog' shot by police .

http://www.ktvb.com/news/Residents-upset-after-friendly-dog-shot-by-police-146913425.html

BOISE -- Several residents in a Boise neighborhood want answers as to why a Boise Police officer shot and killed what they say was a “friendly dog.”

The shooting happened Monday just before 5 p.m. near Fairview Avenue and Curtis Road.

The dog's owner found out Tuesday morning that his 4-year-old pit bull named Indo died overnight.

Police say the dog was acting vicious and coming at the officer with what appeared to be the intent to attack.

But people in this neighborhood say that's not the dog they know.

“The dog ran in the middle of the street right here, was sitting here. You could see the blood pouring from his shoulder," said Jeraine Alvardo.

Just moments before, around the corner, two Boise Police officers were approaching a home looking for a man wanted for failing to appear in court.

Ryan McMurren saw the officers through his window.

"They were going up to the door, then I saw the dog come out, wasn't even going straight towards them, he was just running out because he was free," said McMurren.

Boise Police spokeswoman Lynn Hightower says the dog was outside for about 15 seconds.

"Then the officer says the dog ran at him growling, with his teeth bared, and the officer actually feared because of the actions and the attitude of the dog that he was about to get bit," said Hightower.

The officer then fired his gun three times, hitting Indo twice.

"He shot and then he starts making this wide loop around him and he continues to fire right here," said McMurren.

Indo made his way around the corner, leaving a trail of blood.

"I took care of Indo and I've got blood on my shoe, [my jeans] were covered and I washed them last night," said McMurren.

The Humane Society took Indo to try and save him, but he died overnight.

Andy Brent, his owner, wasn't home when the shooting happened.

"He's a friendly dog,” said Brent. “Everybody around here knows him. He's never bit no one or nothing. He's a good dog.”

Now the neighborhood has questions and Hightower says those should be directed to the Indo's owner.

"It's sad that they loss (sic) their dog,” said Hightower. “The message really is folks have to control their dogs. A 70-pound dog running at you can do a lot of damage."

Boise city code allows a person to protect themselves from a threatening animal. That includes shooting and killing the animal.

Any time an officer fires their weapon, the Boise Police Department conducts an administrative review. That already took place and Hightower says the officer did what any citizen is allowed to do.

Boise city prosecutors, who also handle Meridian cases, say they've had a handful of similar cases over the years involving citizens and officers and do not remember any charges being filed.

ObelixStone
04-11-2012, 03:33 AM
I read somewhere that a Ghost appeared in a police station. If they kill innocent dogs then Ghosts will trouble them to hell.

Anti Federalist
04-11-2012, 05:39 AM
I read somewhere that a Ghost appeared in a police station. If they kill innocent dogs then Ghosts will trouble them to hell.

It is from the ancient soap forests of Hokkaido.

He says he will banish dirt to the land of Wind and Ghosts.

aGameOfThrones
04-11-2012, 11:31 AM

Stupid dog thinking it was FREE!

azxd
04-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Sad for the owners ... But why was the dog running around ... Chasing the mailman ?
Perhaps it was the uniform ?
Perhaps it was the unknown ?

All I know is if a 70 pound, unrestrained dog acts aggressive around me, and I believe they will attack self or family, I'm gonna put the dog down.
Like the OP stated...............

Still a little early to tell what happened here
Thus it becomes word against word, and I'd expect the neighbors to come to the defense of the owner, just as I would expect my neighbors to come to my side of the story, if such a thing happened to my dog.

A sad day, but I'm not ready to convict anyone of wrong doing.

AME3
04-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Sad for the owners ... But why was the dog running around ... Chasing the mailman ?

All I know is if a 70 pound, unrestrained dog acts aggressive around me, and I believe they will attack self or family, I'm gonna put the dog down.
Like the OP stated...............

Thus it becomes word against word, and I'd expect the neighbors to come to the defense of the owner, just as I would expect my neighbors to come to my side of the story, if such a thing happened to my dog.

A sad day, but I'm not ready to convict anyone of wrong doing.My position as well...

fisharmor
04-12-2012, 02:06 PM
It is from the ancient soap forests of Hokkaido.

He says he will banish dirt to the land of Wind and Ghosts.

http://www.stolendroids.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/mrsparkleorig.jpg

People sometimes own dogs to protect their persons and property from thugs, thieves, low-lifes, and other aggressors.
Meaning, even if it did charge, it was doing its job.
And the cop was doing his job: professional dog killer.
Vick was just wearing the wrong uniform.

DamianTV
04-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Maybe the cops have figured out that Man's Best Friend is a Corrupt Cops Worst Enemy.