PDA

View Full Version : Cubans making big fuss after Marlins managers says he respects Castro

qh4dotcom
04-10-2012, 10:46 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/08/2737123/marlins-manager-ozzie-guillen.html

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2110450,00.html

The Cubans in Miami are making a big fuss because Miami Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen apparently told Time Magazine he respects Fidel Castro. He shouldn't have said that (if he did) but it's his right to free speech. The Cubans are not happy with the communist Castro in Cuba...communism forced them to flee Cuba...yet many of them are voting for/supporting the Communist living in the White House...that makes a lot of sense (sarcasm).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWi182CMJY8

FrankRep
04-10-2012, 10:51 AM
It's the right of the people to complain (free speech) that Ozzie Guillen supports a Communist dictator.

IDefendThePlatform
04-10-2012, 11:33 AM
I thought this opinion piece was interesting:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/michael_rosenberg/04/10/guillen.petrino/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a0

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
04-10-2012, 11:35 AM
What did the Marlins think was going to happen when they hired Ozzie Guillen as manager? Did they think they were getting someone who would remain quiet and never put his foot in his mouth? That said, Guillen is a total moron and it looks like he may even lose his job over this. He has already been suspended 5 games as the Marlins figure out what they want to do about this.

oyarde
04-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Ozzie says some of the more stupid things you will here that do not come out of the Senate. I will accept one silver dollar , gladly for every ignorant remark he has made :)

qh4dotcom
04-10-2012, 01:22 PM
It's the right of the people to complain (free speech) that Ozzie Guillen supports a Communist dictator.

Sure it's their right to complain and since they don't like what he said it's their right to not give the Marlins a penny/not attend the games....I don't agree with what Guillen said either...but to be publicly demanding his resignation for exercising his right to free speech is childish and inexcusable. Castro has been suppressing free speech for over 50 years, it's hypocritical for the Cubans to do the same. By the way, Ron Paul who's not well liked here because he wants free trade with Castro only got 4.5% of the vote in Miami-Dade County.

AngryCanadian
04-10-2012, 01:31 PM
And i guess EX Cubans want a war in there beautiful little island?

Feeding the Abscess
04-10-2012, 02:24 PM

He doesn't support Castro. Here's the context:

"I respect Fidel Castro," Guillen said in the article. "You know why? A lot of people have wanted to kill Fidel Castro for the last 60 years, but that son of a bitch is still there."

FrankRep
04-10-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't agree with what Guillen said either...but to be publicly demanding his resignation for exercising his right to free speech is childish and inexcusable.

Publicly demanding his resignation is also Free Speech.

TexanRudeBoy
04-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Sure it's their right to complain and since they don't like what he said it's their right to not give the Marlins a penny/not attend the games....I don't agree with what Guillen said either...but to be publicly demanding his resignation for exercising his right to free speech is childish and inexcusable. Castro has been suppressing free speech for over 50 years, it's hypocritical for the Cubans to do the same. By the way, Ron Paul who's not well liked here because he wants free trade with Castro only got 4.5% of the vote in Miami-Dade County.

You weren't forced from your home at gunpoint and exiled while your family's business, generations of work, was confiscated by the government.....so I'd be careful throwing "childish and inexcusable" about at people who might feel strongly about their baseball manager (who they essentially pay the salary of) praising the man who did that to their families....

jkob
04-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Just an incredibly stupid thing for Ozzie to say considering what city he manages in and what neighborhood that the Marlin's brand new ballpark is in.