PDA

View Full Version : The Answer to Health Care????

No Free Beer
04-09-2012, 08:14 PM
http://www.pbs.org/programs/us-health-care-good-news/

So I turned on the TV and was flipping back and forth from the Chicago Cubs (ESPN) and Bridesmaids (HBO), when I decided to see what else was on.

I came across this program on PBS. I decided to watch to see what they said about health care and its out of control costs.

Well, to my surprise, it wasn't promoting government action at all. In fact, it was supporting the idea of communities and their doctors coming together and solving the issue themselves, without government. Now, take in consideration that in our system, you cannot completely remove yourself from government (medicaid, medicare). If you can, it's very difficult.

So, these communities in Mesa, Colorado and Seattle, Washington (with the help of doctors from Dartmouth, NH) have found a way for doctors to come together and create their own system to remove waste, most of all. They also delivered better care by having a much stronger relationship with their patients, which means longer appointments. The system of cutting waste, lowering costs, and helping the remaining uninsured with privately funded non-profit hospitals helped dramatically change the health care system in their communities. For example, almost everyone in the small town in Mesa, Colorado is covered, one way or another.

In Seattle, a hospital created their own pharmacy, hired their own pharmacists, started carrying generic medicine, and kicked out pharma reps, which helped dramatically lower costs.

The way this is set up is that the insurance companies help pay for providing the hospitals. But it takes commitment from the doctors to remain honest and not just simply go in for making money.

If you care to learn more, watch the video I provided above.

It was very interesting.