PDA

View Full Version : Cops Can Request a Copy of Your Complete Facebook Activity

Marenco
04-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Cops can request a copy of your complete Facebook activity

If police officers were to file a subpoena for your Facebook information, they would receive a printout of the data from the social network. This printout would be so detailed, complete and creepy that you should strive to be a good law-abiding citizen, just to prevent it from ever existing.

We have just learned about the true nature of Facebook's responses to subpoenas thanks to documents uncovered by the Boston Phoenix, an alternative weekly.

While researching a story about a man dubbed the "Craigslist Killer," reporters at the Phoenix had access to "a huge trove of case files released by the Boston Police Department." And in the process of sifting through all of those documents, they discovered the Boston Police's subpoena of the suspect's Facebook information— as well as the data provided by the social network.

The data — which really did come in the form of an old-fashioned paper printout rather than as a digital file of some sort — included all of the suspect's wall posts, photos he'd uploaded, photos he'd been tagged in, a list of his Facebook friends, and "a long table of login and IP data." Based on a look at the actual documents, it appears the login and IP data actually lists which parts of Facebook the individual accessed — down to the photos, groups and profiles he viewed.

According to a published FAQ, this is Facebook's fairly extensive law enforcement policy:

We work with law enforcement where appropriate and to the extent required by law to ensure the safety of the people who use Facebook. We may disclose information pursuant to subpoenas, court orders, or other requests (including criminal and civil matters) if we have a good faith belief that the response is required by law. This may include respecting requests from jurisdictions outside of the United States where we have a good faith belief that the response is required by law under the local laws in that jurisdiction, apply to users from that jurisdiction, and are consistent with generally accepted international standards.

We may also share information when we have a good faith belief it is necessary to prevent fraud or other illegal activity, to prevent imminent bodily harm, or to protect ourselves and you from people violating our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities. This may include sharing information with other companies, lawyers, courts or other government entities.

If you'd like to see how the information looks, the printout of the "Craigslist Killer" suspect, who committed suicide before the trial could reach a resolution, has been posted online by the Boston Phoenix. Both the Boston Police as well as the Boston Phoenix have redacted parts of the documents. From what we can tell, Facebook doesn't censor any data before responding to a subpoena, but we have asked the social network for confirmation.

http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/technology/technolog/cops-can-request-copy-your-complete-facebook-activity-686527

Pericles
04-09-2012, 08:36 PM
If I had any Facebook activity, then it might be an issue.

Anti Federalist
04-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Pfft...Farcebook.

Might as well just have the cop shop on permanent call.

Keith and stuff
04-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Yes, of course. That's why you should never post anything illegal on Facebook. BTW, keep in mind that email is public information. Almost all liberty activists likely know this but I see young people talking about or posting pictures of illegal activity all of the time :(

DamianTV
04-09-2012, 09:01 PM
If I had any Facebook activity, then it might be an issue.

Congratulations! You already do.

You know all those websites that have "Like us on Facebook" links plastered all over every page? Yeah, those LIKE buttons are used to record what you are doing and where you are at on the interwebs even when you are NOT even signed in to Facebook. THAT is the information that the Cops are looking for.

pcgame
04-09-2012, 09:03 PM

RickyJ
04-09-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm not surprised cops would request this, but I am surprised Facebook would just give this info out like that. Anyone can make a post on facebook even if it is not really that person, so in court anything from facebook should not be allowed as evidence.

Anti Federalist
04-09-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm not surprised cops would request this, but I am surprised Facebook would just give this info out like that. Anyone can make a post on facebook even if it is not really that person, so in court anything from facebook should not be allowed as evidence.

Pffft...Evidence.

We got a wise ass over here...

QuickZ06
04-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Pffft...Evidence.

We got a wise ass over here...

lmao.

QuickZ06
04-09-2012, 10:15 PM
COP: Good evening mam my name is Officer Johnson, the reason I stopped you was because you were speeding. So where you headed to tonight?

Citizen 09363623234: O sorry officer and me and my gf's are just going over to a friends house.

COP: O really.......... as of 15 minutes ago you posted about going to a party and about how you were the one bringing the jello shots. Go ahead and step out of the car and pop the trunk.

DamianTV
04-10-2012, 02:22 AM
Just ordinary cops or DHS, FBI, CIA, etc?

Pick one. Better yet, pick em all. Or even better than that, dont bother picking any of them because they do the picking for you! Now for the Trump Card, get a Private Investigator to do it and they are not restricted by the Law as the Department of Alphabet Soup Surplus (A.S.S.) are. Oh wait, there are no restrictions any more? Well, bend over and place your head between your legs so you can kiss your unviolated A.S.S. goodbye!

---

Why are you suprised? How do you think Facebook makes its money, selling Ad Space on their site? Fuck No! How many ads do you see on Facebook? Minimal if any. So if that isnt how they make their money, how are they making their money? They sell your personal and private data that anyone willing to pay for it. And guess what, they have the most profitable business model of any of the Social Networking Sites. Why? Is it Ad Space they are selling? Again, no, it is your data that is for sale. So I have to ask, if you tried selling yourself to some big Advertiser, how much do you think they would offer you for it?

Just dont buy any books from Amazon that are on the "Banned Reading List", like the U.S. Constitution or 1984... And its shit like that which will be treated as evidence in court. Same way as GPS can be used to find you guilty of speeding, but prove to them beyond any reasonable doubt that your GPS proves that you were NOT speeding and they just throw the evidence out. Do you think any of the Judges, Cops or Lawyers cant be bought? Half of them are corrupt to begin with! Their elections are Sponsored by Big Corporations. Corporations like, oh, I dunno, um maybe FACEBOOK? And yet we really think they actually have our best interests in mind?

Danke
04-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Washington Man on the Run From Cops Posts Facebook Updates

By Suzan Clarke | ABC News Blogs

Travis A. Nicolaysen is on the run from police, but he's still posting periodic updates on his Facebook page, and has even changed his status from "in a relationship" to "single."

The 26-year-old from Port Angeles, Wash., is wanted by the state's Department of Corrections for failing to check in with his community corrections officer since January.

Court records indicate Nicolaysen has been convicted of multiple misdemeanors and felonies, among them theft, assault, burglary and violating an order of protection.

On his first day on the run, a friend posted to Nicolaysen's account: "Cops all over you." The following day, Nicolaysen replied on his page: "Ya got away thanks bro."

Nicolaysen, who is also accused of assaulting his girlfriend, changed his status to "single" from "in a relationship," the Peninsula Daily News has reported.

The paper said Nicolaysen went on the lam after slipping through a police dragnet Wednesday, the paper also reported.

On Facebook, some of Nicolaysen's friends have encouraged him to turn himself in.

Facebook's privacy police says the company may share information in response to a legal request "if we have a good faith belief that the law requires us to do so." The site also has limited ability to track users using GPS and IP addresses.

Teri Newell says she helped raise Nicolaysen. She described his on-the-lam Facebook updating as "hilarious," and said the police were heavy-handed.

She said she doesn't know where Nicolaysen is, but added: "If he's smart, he's hidden away, tucked away safe."

tod evans
04-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Do people really expect stuff they put in "cyber-space" to be private?

Even your papers are subject to subpoena.

If you want something to be "private" don't write it down.........anywhere.

Bearice
04-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Facebook is for kids.

The real discussions take places in forums where people go at each other.

Pericles
04-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Congratulations! You already do.

You know all those websites that have "Like us on Facebook" links plastered all over every page? Yeah, those LIKE buttons are used to record what you are doing and where you are at on the interwebs even when you are NOT even signed in to Facebook. THAT is the information that the Cops are looking for.

Dare I assume that one would have to have a Facebook account in order for Facebook to obtain that information?

oyarde
04-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Pffft...Evidence.

We got a wise ass over here...Stop it , your killing me here , I am having coffee

oyarde
04-10-2012, 10:01 AM
If I had any Facebook activity, then it might be an issue. No doubt , I have none , would they believe that or just indefinately detain me because I fail to give it to them ? Never Surrender , I say :)

heavenlyboy34
04-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Pick one. Better yet, pick em all. Or even better than that, dont bother picking any of them because they do the picking for you! Now for the Trump Card, get a Private Investigator to do it and they are not restricted by the Law as the Department of Alphabet Soup Surplus (A.S.S.) are. Oh wait, there are no restrictions any more? Well, bend over and place your head between your legs so you can kiss your unviolated A.S.S. goodbye!

---

Why are you suprised? How do you think Facebook makes its money, selling Ad Space on their site? Fuck No! How many ads do you see on Facebook? Minimal if any. So if that isnt how they make their money, how are they making their money? They sell your personal and private data that anyone willing to pay for it. And guess what, they have the most profitable business model of any of the Social Networking Sites. Why? Is it Ad Space they are selling? Again, no, it is your data that is for sale. So I have to ask, if you tried selling yourself to some big Advertiser, how much do you think they would offer you for it?

Just dont buy any books from Amazon that are on the "Banned Reading List", like the U.S. Constitution or 1984... And its shit like that which will be treated as evidence in court. Same way as GPS can be used to find you guilty of speeding, but prove to them beyond any reasonable doubt that your GPS proves that you were NOT speeding and they just throw the evidence out. Do you think any of the Judges, Cops or Lawyers cant be bought? Half of them are corrupt to begin with! Their elections are Sponsored by Big Corporations. Corporations like, oh, I dunno, um maybe FACEBOOK? And yet we really think they actually have our best interests in mind?
Well, you can't avoid a paper trail like that unless you pay cash for EVERYTHING-and in brick and mortar stores. We're all on some list or another just by doing things like voting for or donating to RP (unless you hand over cash instead of credit, etc).

azxd
04-10-2012, 12:05 PM
LE can request a copy of your complete FORUM activity via subpoena, to include deleted postings, and the forum owner must comply.

Only stupid people get caught because of their online presence ;)

Anti Federalist
04-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Facebook's privacy police says the company may share information in response to a legal request "if we have a good faith belief that the law requires us to do so." The site also has limited ability to track users using GPS and IP addresses.

Even I wasn't aware of that.

:eek:

DamianTV
04-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Put this in your HOSTS file.

127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com www.connect.facebook.com graph.facebook.com connect.facebook.net badge.facebook.com badge.facebook.net

127.0.0.1 facebook.com
127.0.0.1 api.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 api.ak.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 login.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 register.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 en-gb.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 es-la.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 pt-br.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 fr-fr.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 de-de.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 it-it.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 ar-ar.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 hi-in.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 zh-cn.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 developer.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 developers.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 apps.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 www-college.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 platform.ak.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 creative.ak.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 new.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 tr-tr.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 es-es.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 el-gr.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 sv-se.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 da-dk.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 zh-hk.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 zh-tw.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 fi-fi.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 hs.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 id-id.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 ru-ru.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 hr-hr.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 m.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 nl-nl.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 nb-no.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 ja-jp.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 ko-kr.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 ms-my.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 sl-si.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 connect.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 cs-cz.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 pl-pl.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 secure.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 iphone.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 blog.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 0.channel24.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 s-static.ak.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 creativeupload.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 creativeupload-sf2p.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 upload.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 static.fbshare.me

If you have a Home Router, most have the ability to Block Websites. Hosts files dont suppor the use of Wildcard * Characters for ALL subdomains. If you look above, you have to specify each and every one. What you might also want to consider is putting *.facebook.com in your hosts file, as well as any other Facebook related Domain Names, such as *.facebook.net, *.facebook.org. Other domains that you should block in order to better block facebook would be fbshare.me, fbcdn.com (which is Facebook's Content Delivery System), and pretty much anything that even remotely associates itself with Facebook.

Facebook has never been given my explicit permission. They operate on the assumption that I have given "Implied Concent". I have not. So let me say publicly for the record, and to be used in a Court of Law, I hereby expressly deny any permission or implied permission of Facebook, companies related to Facebook, subsidiaries of Facebook, or any other company doing any form of business with Facebook to use any of my personal information in any way shape or form.

That should just about sum it up.