PDA

View Full Version : Need Rebuttal?

VoteRonPaul2008
11-14-2007, 07:29 PM
"Are Ron Paul supporters thinking this all the way through?
First off, I don't denigrate the man. He's saying some plain truths that need to be said, and the regular politicians have long-since abdicated thier responsibility to the people. However, if you follow through on his 'If it's not in the Constitution it's out the door' philosophy, the end result would be a country that would be unrecognizable to most people today. I don't know if people think things like poverty, environmental degradation, social ills, consumer rights, and many other things will magically rectify themselves, or they simply don't care. The libertarian ideas Paul esposes posit that each man really IS an island and a working society can exist where the concept of the 'public good' simply doesn't exist. I've never seen one. Ever. I get the feeling alot of the pro-Paul sentiment is about frustration with the status quo than a real desire to totally remake the country. Am I wrong?"

abbgt1
11-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Suggest to this person that maybe government does have a role in a number of the areas of concerned, but it isn't the FEDERAL Government. I'm a big libertarian on most national issues, but I believe state & local governments have an ability to deal with some of them (paricularly local).

Bottom line is most of his concerns are not in the charter of the governing body (Constitution).

Goldwater Conservative
11-14-2007, 09:55 PM
The libertarian ideas Paul esposes posit that each man really IS an island and a working society can exist where the concept of the 'public good' simply doesn't exist. I've never seen one. Ever.

That's because dictatorships and democracies share at least one thing in common: those in power give the people benefits so they can stay in power.

I think the closest thing to a libertarian society was early America, and even that had a fair share of impurities. We also can't blame most of the country's problems back then on much other than it being so young and relatively underdeveloped.

truthbetold
11-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Actually, those that don't see that following the constitution and getting the fED out of most things IS THE PROBLEM... have not thought it through....