PDA

View Full Version : I think I finally understand why it's so hard to reach some people...

Son of Detroit
04-08-2012, 08:11 AM
And why they're so easily influenced by the MSM.

Take your average joe blue collar guy. Let's call him Joe McSheep. He doesn't have much time or interest to look deeply into the political scene. He doesn't want to seem totally uninformed to their friends and family so he watches Fox News for a bit at night to get "informed". Since he doesn't go that deep into the philosophies of the politics, he just parrots what Bill O'Reilly says because he's the "expert" on the topic. This way Joe doesn't feel totally uninformed about politics, and can just repeat what he hears in political discussions around the water cooler. If Bill O'Reilly says that Ron Paul is a nutjob who hates America, then Joe will believe it and defend it even if he doesn't know why.

Now I've always kind of figured this, but never understood how a person is so easily influenced by this. It wasn't until I applied it to my own life that I finally understood. It's the same with me and some sports. Let's go with college basketball and march madness as an example.

I follow baseball and football really attentively and I have in-depth knowledge of the game, the teams, and the players. College basketball, however, I don't have that same level of knowledge, but I don't want to seem uninformed to my friends and family when March Madness rolls around so I watch ESPN for a bit in the morning to get "informed". Since I don't go that deep into the teams and players, I just parrot what Digger Phelps says because he's the "expert" on the topic. This way I don't feel totally uninformed about college basketball, and can just repeat what I hear in March Madness discussions at school. If Digger Phelps says that Kentucky will dominate the tournament and Syracuse doesn't have a chance, then I'll believe it and defend it even if I don't know why.

I can't fault or get mad at people who do this, because I know where they're coming from. Getting mad at them will only make things worse. I think it can only be remedied over time, and on their own accord. A person can't change their mindset overnight. This movement is a long-term movement, and doesn't end after 2012. I'm in this for the long haul.

Noble Savage
04-08-2012, 08:32 AM
They're is also the type that knows deep down that what the good Dr says is true but are too afraid to make the changes. These are the same people that would have never left Europe for the New World

azxd
04-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Many fear change, but I'll take the less informed, over the totally oblivious ;) mainly because you can start at the second grade and don't have to teach them to write their name.

Imagine the watercooler conversation if they listened to Matthews/Olbermann LOL

VoluntaryAmerican
04-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Many fear change, but I'll take the less informed, over the totally oblivious ;) mainly because you can start at the second grade and don't have to teach them to write their name.

Imagine the watercooler conversation if they listened to Matthews/Olbermann LOL

Your post reminded me of this quote:

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. Thomas Jefferson

I agree with the sentitment of the OP, good use of sociology on your part in figuring out the "sheep problem".

azxd
04-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Your post reminded me of this quote:

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. Thomas Jefferson

I agree with the sentitment of the OP, good use of sociology on your part in figuring out the "sheep problem".I hear ya, but prefer that someone question what they believe, and not blindly follow what another might tell them.

Give me falsehood's to be questioned, and I will return to you doubt and encourage the ability to reason and develop solutions.

Society is full of sheep, wolves, and watchdogs.

Anti Federalist
04-08-2012, 11:17 AM
So shines a good thought in a weary world.

+rep

Take your average joe blue collar guy. Let's call him Joe McSheep. He doesn't have much time or interest to look deeply into the political scene. He doesn't want to seem totally uninformed to their friends and family so he watches Fox News for a bit at night to get "informed". Since he doesn't go that deep into the philosophies of the politics, he just parrots what Bill O'Reilly says because he's the "expert" on the topic. This way Joe doesn't feel totally uninformed about politics, and can just repeat what he hears in political discussions around the water cooler. If Bill O'Reilly says that Ron Paul is a nutjob who hates America, then Joe will believe it and defend it even if he doesn't know why.

Now I've always kind of figured this, but never understood how a person is so easily influenced by this. It wasn't until I applied it to my own life that I finally understood. It's the same with me and some sports. Let's go with college basketball and march madness as an example.

I follow baseball and football really attentively and I have in-depth knowledge of the game, the teams, and the players. College basketball, however, I don't have that same level of knowledge, but I don't want to seem uninformed to my friends and family when March Madness rolls around so I watch ESPN for a bit in the morning to get "informed". Since I don't go that deep into the teams and players, I just parrot what Digger Phelps says because he's the "expert" on the topic. This way I don't feel totally uninformed about college basketball, and can just repeat what I hear in March Madness discussions at school. If Digger Phelps says that Kentucky will dominate the tournament and Syracuse doesn't have a chance, then I'll believe it and defend it even if I don't know why.

I can't fault or get mad at people who do this, because I know where they're coming from. Getting mad at them will only make things worse. I think it can only be remedied over time, and on their own accord. A person can't change their mindset overnight. This movement is a long-term movement, and doesn't end after 2012. I'm in this for the long haul.

Brian4Liberty
04-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Since I don't go that deep into the teams and players, I just parrot what Digger Phelps says because he's the "expert" on the topic. This way I don't feel totally uninformed about college basketball, and can just repeat what I hear in March Madness discussions at school. If Digger Phelps says that Kentucky will dominate the tournament and Syracuse doesn't have a chance, then I'll believe it and defend it even if I don't know why.

Good post, that sums it up.

And even though someone may have no knowledge about College Basketball, they have no problem filling out a bracket (i.e. voting).

Additionally with the MSM, they are also very good at telling people what to fear, and it seems that people are extremely susceptible to being influenced by fear propaganda.

economics102
04-08-2012, 12:25 PM
I can't fault or get mad at people who do this, because I know where they're coming from. Getting mad at them will only make things worse.

Great post, I think your analogy to sports is very enlightening. Usually these "I've figured out why X is X" threads are stupid (and I admit I've started one or two myself!) but yours was worthwhile.

Have to disagree with the quoted text though. It may not be helpful to TELL THEM we fault them, but we certainly can and should fault them. They hold 1/132-millionth (number of voters in 2008) of the steering wheel of the most powerful, deadly army in the world, and the governing body that controls every aspect of the lives of 300 million Americans. Voting is optional. If they're following politics the way you described following college basketball, they share in the blame for everything that's happened over the years.

And I don't exempt myself or anyone else. I voted several elections before 2008 and am not proud of the uninformed votes I made. In my mind, you get a driver's license, you're expected to learn how to drive safely because you're operating a machine that can kill people. If you get a gun, you'd better be fully prepared to use mature judgement about when it's ok (both morally and legally) to use it. You get the privilege of voting, you'd better do your homework on the matters at hand before exercising it.

Nobody is forcing you to vote, so if you can't vote intellegintly enough to feel comfortable taking responsibility for the consequences of your vote, stay home.

By the way, I'm someone who doesn't follow any sports at all and always feel left out when the conversation turns to sports. :)

pcgame
04-08-2012, 12:30 PM

Xhin
04-08-2012, 03:04 PM
+rep, OP! Very good post.

I think one problem might be that they tend to trust politicians to make the right decision without looking at their voting record. They think "oh, Obama's against indefinite detention of American Citizens. He's a good man, we can trust him" and then not look at him actually signing the NDAA, for example. Actions speak louder than words, but unfortunately as far as the average voter is concerned, it's the opposite.

DamianTV
04-08-2012, 03:21 PM
When two people play chess, each move of a chess piece opens up several new possibilities for new moves and restricts other moves. And once those moves are no longer available (Pawn takes Queen), they will not be available again for the duration of the "Game". Baseball is quite different in that much of the outcome is based on one event, then each "turn" everything effectively Resets. Goverments (and their controlling entites, the Banks and Corporations) are not playing Baseball with us. They are playing Chess, and they are playing for Keeps there, Sport!

The war for controlling a persons mind is no different. People tend believe those who are branded "Experts" more so than those who are not. People tend to percieve those who wear Business Suits as being (mostly) Honest, and Skilled at their Jobs or Professions. People also tend to believe that a Military Uniform on a person distinguishes them as bearing them no ill will what so ever. Well, if its Your Military. People tend to believe the News over their Friends. People that have good haircuts to be somehow More Honest than a hippie who hasnt seen a razor in the last six months. The list continues on and on and on.

When you use ALL of the methos of manipulating a persons perception, you can understand how they are Duped into believing the statements presented to be the Truth, although their statements are as far from the Truth as is possible.