PDA

View Full Version : US Marine faces dismissal for criticising President Obama

moderate libertarian
04-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Not clear if he was member of anti-war tea party or neocon wing of tea party but it's a remarkable story in any case:

US Marine faces dismissal for criticising President Obama

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17635878

Dissenting While Enlisted Will Get You Fired, Dissenting While Commanding Gets You Retired
Mike Riggs | April 6, 2012

http://reason.com/blog/2012/04/06/dissenting-while-enlisted-will-get-you-f

azxd
04-06-2012, 09:54 PM
It is a sad story, but it is also the result of being under a system that a civilian is not.

Many double jeopardy situations exist for our military personnel.

qh4dotcom
04-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Congratulations to the Marine...as a bonus he won't be deployed anymore to the middle East

moderate libertarian
04-06-2012, 10:42 PM
It is a sad story, but it is also the result of being under a system that a civilian is not.

Many double jeopardy situations exist for our military personnel.

They fight and sometimes sacrifice their lives/body parts to defend our freedoms including our freedom of speech, it's just that they can't exercise the same freedoms themelves.

SL89
04-06-2012, 10:46 PM
He swore an oath to the constitution before anything else. Good for him. I have his back, I swore the same oath. Funny.....all you non servers should swear the same. It is your country too, not just the ones that swear it for a job. Tired of the arm chair patriots. Talk, talk, talk. Kiss my ass. There are but 15-20 here that will actually stand up. Yeah, you read that right. Fuck you wanna be patriots.

hehe, Sorry, I guess I am a little mad.

Sam I am
04-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Am I missing something here? I thought he was getting discharged, not arrested.

SL89
04-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Am I missing something here? I thought he was getting discharged, not arrested.

To a man that swore an oath, I don't see any difference.

James Madison
04-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Wow!

He took an oath to the Constitution, not the President. If the President is engaged in un-Constitutional behavior it is not only his right, but his duty to oppose him.

Indy Vidual
04-06-2012, 11:14 PM
They fight and sometimes sacrifice their lives/body parts to defend our freedoms including our freedom of speech, it's just that they can't exercise the same freedoms themelves.

+1984

azxd
04-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Wow!

He took an oath to the Constitution, not the President. If the President is engaged in un-Constitutional behavior it is not only his right, but his duty to oppose him.All true, yet if you've served, you also know that having your ducks in a row is the only way to beat the command structure, and the command structure will use everything it has, against you.

moderate libertarian
04-07-2012, 12:36 PM
How did Obama people find out about his facebook page:

Marine Sgt. Gary Stein should go for criticizing Obama on Facebook, Board says
CBS News - ‎Apr 6, 2012‎

The Marine Corps administrative board said after a daylong hearing late Thursday at Camp Pendleton that Sgt. Gary Stein has committed misconduct and should be dismissed.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57410342/marine-sgt-gary-stein-should-go-for-criticising-obama-on-facebook-board-says/

PaulConventionWV
04-07-2012, 12:54 PM
He swore an oath to the constitution before anything else. Good for him. I have his back, I swore the same oath. Funny.....all you non servers should swear the same. It is your country too, not just the ones that swear it for a job. Tired of the arm chair patriots. Talk, talk, talk. Kiss my ass. There are but 15-20 here that will actually stand up. Yeah, you read that right. Fuck you wanna be patriots.

hehe, Sorry, I guess I am a little mad.

What are you on about?

LibertyEagle
04-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Wow!

He took an oath to the Constitution, not the President. If the President is engaged in un-Constitutional behavior it is not only his right, but his duty to oppose him.

+rep

keh10
04-07-2012, 02:50 PM
I have a friend who was recently in a military prison. He said that he met a guy there who got sentenced over a year for saying that IF there ever was civil strife in the US, he would fight against the government.

SL89
04-08-2012, 10:37 PM
What are you on about?

Just the fact he is standing up for his rights and ours too. Too many cuss our soldiers for supporting our imperial habits as a country. Being a vet hits hard, I know how people on this board feels about our wars. I feel the same way. I guess it was a preemptive strike to those that don't think some soldiers don't take the oath serious. That's all.

GuerrillaXXI
04-08-2012, 10:43 PM
They fight and sometimes sacrifice their lives/body parts to defend our freedoms including our freedom of speech, it's just that they can't exercise the same freedoms themelves.The military does not defend our freedom. If it did, then we wouldn't be losing our freedom so rapidly at the hands of the government that the military serves.

Still, there are some dissenters in the military who are loyal to the people of this country rather than to its government. This soldier who criticized Obama may be one of them, and if so, I applaud him.

qh4dotcom
04-08-2012, 10:47 PM
The military does not defend our freedom. If it did, then we wouldn't be losing our freedom so rapidly at the hands of the government that the military serves.

Still, there are some dissenters in the military who are loyal to the people of this country rather than to its government. This soldier who criticized Obama may be one of them, and if so, I applaud him.

Don't forget now that the NDAA passed that the military has the authority now to detain any US citizen indefinitely without charges or due process...so much for them defending our freedom.

The Free Hornet
04-08-2012, 11:10 PM
I have a friend who was recently in a military prison. He said that he met a guy there who got sentenced over a year for saying that IF there ever was civil strife in the US, he would fight against the government.

If suitable, I would love to read more details.

moderate libertarian
04-08-2012, 11:19 PM
The military does not defend our freedom. If it did, then we wouldn't be losing our freedom so rapidly at the hands of the government that the military serves.

How do you explain following names of our major wars then:

Operation Iraqi Freedom ( Iraq war)
Operation Enduring Freedom ( Afghan war)

But you don't have to answer this, I think you already did.

Xhin
04-08-2012, 11:59 PM
How do you explain following names of our major wars then:

Operation Iraqi Freedom ( Iraq war)
Operation Enduring Freedom ( Afghan war)

Newspeak.

bolil
04-09-2012, 12:18 AM
From where I sit it seems like the US mari...er...military is one of the things we still have going for us. Too bad they paint all the vets like they are insane... Not to say I have any idea what a firefight would be like, or the memory. They are increasing militarization in other aspects, especially as regards law enforcement. Its too bad though... The end of "modern" war is one of the more appealing facets of anarchy.