PDA

View Full Version : State of the GOP Race: On To Pennsylvania

sailingaway
04-06-2012, 06:35 PM
The actual selection of delegates in the caucus states is also starting to emerge. Whatever one thinks of Dr. Ron Paul, his delegates have done their homework, they know the GOP’s election laws and are following them by the book, which is something the other candidate’s supporters aren’t doing.

So many legal Dr. Paul delegate hopefuls have decided to participate this time that the GOP establishment doesn’t have the organization in place – particularly given the lack of love for Gov. Romney – to cover the incredible amount of locations being overrun by Paul supporters. In turn, Paul’s delegates are winning the majority of the caucus state delegates in many of those states anyway. Given how Gov. Romney’s campaign is operating, it makes it very difficult for the congressman to reconcile with Gov. Romney given the antics and shenanigans –most recently in North Dakota.

In Nevada, assuming people Republicans play fair, the Dr. Paul supporters will have complete and total control of the Nevada delegation and probably the entire Republican apparatus in the state. This was only achieved after beating back Romney antics. Still, if history is any indicator, the Republican establishment may attempt to undo this. Four years ago, GOP leaders who supported then-presidential candidate Sen. John McCain abruptly shut down the state convention in Reno when it appeared Dr. Paul would take most of Nevada’s delegates to the national convention.

In the past, Dr. Paul supporters have said that they would follow party rules requiring Nevada’s 28 delegates be bound on the first ballot to vote in line with the GOP caucus-winning percentages. That was then, this is now. It also means if it comes down to credentials and other challenges, the Paul delegates are on their own and will be driving the train.

more at link

http://ivn.us/2012/04/06/state-of-the-republican-race-on-to-pennsylvania/

NikolayaRadchenkova
04-06-2012, 06:40 PM
There are long term implications to this. Gov. Romney supporters tend to be above age 55, Sen. Santorum supporters tend to be age 40 to 55, and the Dr. Paul supporters are all under 30. Demographically, it’s no brainer as to where the future lies. The Dr. Paul supporters, agree with them or not, are the only group of young people who even have an interest in working to elect Republicans down the road. Yet, that is who the GOP establishment is risking alienating. Republicans, at a minimum, have to scrap the caucus system. It is unrepresentative and divisive.

This is so true. I can't think of anyone my age who is not a Ron Paul supporter who would bother becoming involved in their local GOP or becoming a delegate. Most don't even bother voting in the general election!!

kathy88
04-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Wow it's getting CLOSE.

Titus
04-06-2012, 06:53 PM
This is so true. I can't think of anyone my age who is not a Ron Paul supporter who would bother becoming involved in their local GOP or becoming a delegate. Most don't even bother voting in the general election!!

NO! We need the caucus. All the "irregularities" have been exposed because of a caucus system. Yes, the system will have human error but we need the caucus for accountability. Do you think Maine would caused half the drama it did without proof from the Belfast caucus?

MelissaCato
04-06-2012, 06:54 PM
GO Pennsylvania for Ron Paul 2012 !!

NikolayaRadchenkova
04-06-2012, 06:55 PM
NO! We need the caucus. All the "irregularities" have been exposed because of a caucus system. Yes, the system will have human error but we need the caucus for accountability. Do you think Maine would caused half the drama it did without proof from the Belfast caucus?

I didn't mean the part about getting rid of the caucus system, I meant the part about how only Ron Paul is bringing in younger voters into the GOP. No other candidate has the enthusiasm or dedication of the under-30 block.