PDA

View Full Version : Chinese boy sells kidney for iPhone, iPad

John F Kennedy III
04-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Chinese boy sells kidney for iPhone, iPad

Reuters
April 6, 2012

Five people in southern China have been charged with intentional injury in the case of a Chinese teenager who sold a kidney so he could buy an iPhone and an iPad, the government-run Xinhua News Agency said on Friday.

The five included a surgeon who removed a kidney from a 17-year-old boy in April last year. The boy, identified only by his surname Wang, now suffers from renal deficiency, Xinhua quoted prosecutors in Chenzhou city, Hunan province as saying.

According to the Xinhua account, one of the defendants received about 220,000 yuan (about $35,000) to arrange the transplant. He paid Wang 22,000 yuan and split the rest with the surgeon, the three other defendants and other medical staff.

rest of article here:
http://dawn.com/2012/04/06/chinese-boy-sells-kidney-for-iphone-ipad/

fisharmor
04-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Huh. A boy in China "sold" his kidney for toys.
Just like all those people in the Bodies exhibits were homeless and they couldn't ID their next of kin.

There's totally no nefarious state involvement in this sort of thing.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

BlackTerrel
04-06-2012, 07:16 PM
The libertarian position is that this should be legal right? If I want to sell my kidney I should be able to right?

Huh. A boy in China "sold" his kidney for toys.
Just like all those people in the Bodies exhibits were homeless and they couldn't ID their next of kin.

There's totally no nefarious state involvement in this sort of thing.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Why do you think the state is involved? It sounds like China is trying to crack down on it,

Zippyjuan
04-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Should there be a free market for organs to donate in exchange for whatever the can get for them?

The Gold Standard
04-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Should there be a free market for organs to donate in exchange for whatever the can get for them?

Why not? Does it violate your rights if some Chinese kid trades a kidney for an iPad? If you are worried about the quality of organs available, then legalize it so the most reputable firms can put their reputation on the line and be liable for the results.

aGameOfThrones
04-06-2012, 08:45 PM
iPad:

*Apps
*retina display
*AX5 SoC
*iOS 5.1
*5mp iSight camera
*1gb of ram
*Apple magic inside

Kidney:

*something to do with blood and urine
*glorify filter

The iPad sounds pretty sweet.

LibertyEagle
04-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Why do you think the state is involved? It sounds like China is trying to crack down on it,

That would be a distinct turnaround in position, if they were. Don't you remember all the media about the Falun Gong? I think it was around the last election, and how the Chinese government were harvesting their organs for profit?

Brian4Liberty
04-06-2012, 09:56 PM
The secret is that the kidney went to Dick Cheney.