PDA

View Full Version : A tax protest to support Ron Paul

teshuah
11-14-2007, 06:15 PM
My husband came up with what I thought was a pretty good idea.

Our own little tax protest. The Revolutionaries protested the taxation by refusing to purchase those goods that were made overseas and would be taxed. Instead, they made their own goods and became self-sufficient.

Who here hates double taxation besides my husband and I? For those of you who aren't fully aware of what it is, here is a quote by Thomas Jefferson describing it:

" For example, if the system be established on the basis of Income, and his just proportion on that scale has been already drawn from every one, to step into the field of Consumption and tax special articles in that, as broadcloth or homespun, wine or whiskey, a coach or a wagon, is doubly taxing the same article. For that portion of Income with which these articles are purchased, having already paid its tax as Income, to pay another tax on the thing it purchased, is paying twice for the same thing; it is an aggrievance on the citizens who use these articles in exoneration of those who do not, contrary to the most sacred of the duties of a government, to do equal and impartial justice to all its citizens." --Thomas Jefferson: Note to Destutt de Tracy's "Political Economy," 1816. ME 14:464

So, here's my husband's idea with a little spin of my own on it:

Gasoline: You have federal AND state tax you pay for every gallon of gas you purchase and that can add up to about $1/gallon!

How many of us have had those emails to have a day where we don't buy gas? Well, that doesn't work as we know because they fill up the day before. So we have to one-up that... let's go 3 or 4 days without buying gas! Make sure you fill up before if you really need to. Take some leave time if you need to if you're going to need that much gas for going to work. In the name of liberty!

And then, all the money you would have put in your gas tank over those days - donate to Ron Paul over that time span instead! Or donate the amount of taxes you would pay in gas over that time - it would be a smaller donation, but speak to the masses! We'd have to figure out a closer general figure of how much is taxed/gallon. My estimate of $1/gallon comes from what my husband guesses.

krott5333
11-14-2007, 06:19 PM
that just means I'll have to top it off the day prior and the day after. consumption will remain the same, and if i wait til the day after, the price will probably be higher.

:(

teshuah
11-14-2007, 06:23 PM
would it have to be a longer timespan? a week without a fill?

krott5333
11-14-2007, 06:25 PM
would it have to be a longer timespan? a week without a fill?

that means I would have to get a bigger gas tank.

I still have to use the gas, regardless of when I buy it. And too many people buy gasoline everyday to make a real difference.

You have good intentions, but I'm afraid there wouldn't really be any reward for doing such a thing.

krott5333
11-14-2007, 06:26 PM
I see you are new to the forums.

Are you aware of what happened on November 5th? 4.2 million in one day.

Were doing it again on December 16th, but this time its going to be twice as big. It gave the campaign a huge boost in the media on the 5th, and it will work again on the 16th.

check it out www.teaparty07.com

These are the kinds of things that would really make an impact.

AdoubleR
11-14-2007, 06:31 PM
sounds like a good idea

teshuah
11-14-2007, 06:34 PM
yes, i'm fully aware LOL I'm actively involved in my precinct and supporting the MN Campaign here. i haven't visited this site much but i'm not new to what's going on :)

hubby was looking at the tea party site and the idea popped in his head and I thought it was a good one...

is there anything else we can protest with? all sales taxes are double taxation if you have a state income tax. not to mention that state sales tax is taxation without representation.

we need a good tax protest people... let the masses know we are serious about wanting reform in our government not just with the war!

my hubby also suggested everyone buying gas with their cc and then calling in to dispute the amount because it was taxed LOL i forgot to post that as a (not so serious IMO) suggestion

RonPaulGetsIt
11-14-2007, 06:37 PM
I understand you want to make a statement but there are better ways. This type of protest goes unnoticed and has zero net reduction in the taxes paid or gasoline used.

teshuah
11-14-2007, 06:44 PM
that means I would have to get a bigger gas tank.

I still have to use the gas, regardless of when I buy it. And too many people buy gasoline everyday to make a real difference.

You have good intentions, but I'm afraid there wouldn't really be any reward for doing such a thing.

YOu say you still need gasoline regardless of when it's bought --- but remember - 30,000+ people donated to the November 5th. Let's say average amount of gallons/person within a 4 day time period would be 15 gallons for an easy number to work with. 15 GallonsxNovember 5ths numbers of 30000=450,000 gallons of gas

If we estimate that the average price on gas is 3.20 that's 1.4 Million not spent

Now, I was one of those who wanted to donate on the 5th of November but due to financial situations could not. How many more were in my circumstance? Let's just say another 20,000. Plus, the numbers of men and women that have come to hear of Dr. Paul since then. Let's add another 10,000 that might go along.

that's 2.8 million not spent and about 1 Million gallons of Gasoline not purchased. Yeah, not a huge number when you consider Americans use the equivalent of about 1 Million Gallons/DAY. But, if we spread it out and don't use it that is the equivalent, possibly, of one day's worth of gas NOT being purchased!

freedominnumbers
11-14-2007, 08:03 PM
The best tax protest would be a mass refusal to pay the income tax.

noxagol
11-14-2007, 08:07 PM
The best tax protest would be a mass refusal to pay the income tax.

Indeed.

ronpaulitician
11-14-2007, 08:10 PM
How about this:

Instead of taking your car somewhere on the weekend, go door-to-door in your neighborhood instead.

A "green" weekend:
-environmentally friendly
-financially friendly

The money you save can be used to purchase campaign materials from the official Ron Paul store (so you have stuff to hand out during the next "green" weekend). And it'll make for a good free-market example to tell both your fiscally conservative friends and your environmentally green friends.