PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Ben Swann Reality Check on North Dakota delegate shenanigans

Tyler_Durden
04-05-2012, 03:24 PM
He just posted on Facebook:

"Reality check tonight, will be posted here after the show. The GOP leadership in North Dakota "railroaded" the State Convention to give Romney the most delegates? How they did it... and why the words "You weren't on the committee ma'am" have become the theme of this year's primary season."

Update- video should be embedded in link at aytime now.

http://www.FOX19.com/story/17348017/reality-check-north-dakota-caucus-railroaded-to-give-majority-of-delegates-to-romney

tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=RU3HnDovu9I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=RU3HnDovu9I

PolicyReader
04-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks Ben :cool:

FSP-Rebel
04-05-2012, 05:08 PM
The pro strikes again!

Tyler_Durden
04-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Fail post

PaulSoHard
04-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Has anyone found a video? I can't seem to find one, or maybe it hasn't aired yet

Tyler_Durden
04-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Has anyone found a video? I can't seem to find one, or maybe it hasn't aired yet

I added link to opening thread, but Fox19 hasn't embedded the video yet. Should be anytime.

Tyler_Durden
04-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Video now embedded in link.

WesSeid
04-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Athens, GA
St. Charles, MO
and now "Because you're not on the committee, ma'am."

How can honorable people compete against such corruption?

Constitutional Paulicy
04-06-2012, 01:56 AM
Ben takes a look at how the North Dakota GOP gave Mitt Romney the majority of delegates despite his third place finish in the state..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RU3HnDovu9I#!

LibertyEagle
04-06-2012, 02:55 AM
Athens, GA
St. Charles, MO

You learn the rules of the game and play it better than they do. We've done great at that this time around. Although, I'm wondering if we could have done something to counter the GOP establishment's move in North Dakota.

And you outnumber them massively. We are working on this one.

Dogsoldier
04-06-2012, 03:36 AM
So the rules are that they can get away with this?This is legal?Nothing can be done?

Dogsoldier
04-06-2012, 03:37 AM
So the rules are that they can get away with this?This is legal?Nothing can be done?

kathy88
04-06-2012, 04:58 AM
Athens, GA
St. Charles, MO

That's where I would have been dragged out in handcuffs, because I have Ron Paul tourettes, and when that ass said, "because you weren't on the committee, maam" I would have screamed FUCK your illegal dirty committee, skank :) So I just quietly do stuff and contribute money. I don't play well with other people.

Bilgefisher
04-06-2012, 05:17 AM
I love Ben Swann's segments because they inform the public, but at the end of the day, nothing has changed.

To echo Dogsoldier, what can be done about this? what recourse do we have?

Travlyr
04-06-2012, 05:25 AM
Corrupt system is corrupt.

Justinfrom1776
04-06-2012, 06:03 AM
The GOP had better make this right.. They should be courting us not alienating us.. This is why this party is on its deathbed.

TruckinMike
04-06-2012, 06:22 AM
The GOP had better make this right.. They should be courting us not alienating us.. This is why this party is on its deathbed.They are not worried. They are sure to get their boy Obama back in office.

TXcarlosTX
04-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Its all in da game. We need to do the same. Become the Establishment and then we can have fun.

Trigonx
04-06-2012, 07:33 AM
They are not worried. They are sure to get their boy Obama back in office.

exactly, I'm convinced that the GOP wants to lose this election. Everything they have done to this point has been counter productive to winning the election for the GOP.

Travlyr
04-06-2012, 08:23 AM
exactly, I'm convinced that the GOP wants to lose this election. Everything they have done to this point has been counter productive to winning the election for the GOP.
They sure don't seem to want honesty or transparency in government ... that's for sure.

I've voted Republican most of my life because I believed their bullshit. GOP (http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=29639#ixzz1hnH3gdcq) = limited government, less taxes, obey the constitution crap. As it turns out, their very first president started counterfeiting operations right after he was elected in 1861 (http://moneyfactory.gov/historytimeline.html). It is in direct violation of the constitution. They lied to me in my government school. They told me Lincoln was a great president. He saved America. Our class even went to his Springfield home on tour all paid for by tax dollars to educate. It was a fun trip ... all meant to indoctrinate me. It worked until the Internet came along.

If they don't nominate the most popular guy with the widest support, then the GOP is toast. Burnt toast with rotten eggs. Ron Paul makes sense. Tyranny makes no sense.

No One But Paul!!

Darguth
04-06-2012, 08:30 AM
As much as the North Dakota situation royally sucks, it doesn't really seem to be "railroading" at least the way I understand it.

They didn't prevent you from voting for the delegates you preferred. They didn't play shenanigans with the vote count. They didn't shut down the convention when things dididn't go their way.

They simply made it easier to vote for the people they wanted. But, if we were organized and committed and had the numbers that should have been an obstacle we could have overcome.

JasonM
04-06-2012, 08:49 AM
This is why GETTING ON THE COMMITTEES IS SO IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!! That is, the state party committees that ultimately decide on the slate that go to Tampa to select the Republican Nominee for president (among other things).

People just plain don't understand the importance of these obscure things when it comes to their civic duty. Then they wonder how they get screwed after every single election. =/

Tenbobnote
04-06-2012, 08:58 AM
double post

Tenbobnote
04-06-2012, 08:59 AM
As much as the North Dakota situation royally sucks, it doesn't really seem to be "railroading" at least the way I understand it.

They didn't prevent you from voting for the delegates you preferred. They didn't play shenanigans with the vote count. They didn't shut down the convention when things dididn't go their way.

They simply made it easier to vote for the people they wanted. But, if we were organized and committed and had the numbers that should have been an obstacle we could have overcome.

the railroading occurred when they did not count the votes after a "Division" had been called(multiple times); the railroading occurred when they turned off the mic from a young lady trying to make a motion then recognized another guy on a mic to adjourned the meeting and did not recognize the overwhelming Nays that occurred when motioning to adjourn the meeting ,ETC.

devil21
04-06-2012, 09:21 AM
(eta: capital R Rules means Robert's Rules, lower case r rules means convention rules/bylaws)

The good news is that the GOP just tipped their hand for the rest of the state conventions. They'll disseminate this little plan to all the state GOP offices. It's our job to figure out how to counter it. The state conventions are run by Robert's Rules like the rest of the conventions. Clog it up! Delay! Frustrate! Use the Rules to challenge the party. Remember, the rules can be amended to say pretty much whatever you want! "I move to amend rule/bylaw #whatever" and state the changes or "I move to amend the rules/bylaws by adding an additional Rule, which will be #whatever".

See here: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/roberts-rules-for-amending-bylaws.html

The thing I'd like to see more about is the "check box" mentioned and very quickly shown on that ballot. Was the checkbox simply a way for those in attendence to just vote for the entire party slate with a single check? If so, THAT needs to be challenged if it wasn't expressly in the convention rules. Point of order! The ballot does not comply with the rules! Then explain how it undermines the delegate selection process. If enough people are irked by the party's attempt to shut out non-annointed delegates then the ballot can be thrown out. More on this in the next section.

Also, it appeared the ballot actually had the names of the annointed delegates already on it. That should be Rules challenged as well (I rise to a question of privilege) and a motion to amend the rules/bylaws raised for a new ballot that expressly omits the names of delegates and leaves the vote entirely up to the convention. How do we counter these shenanigans? We need to have our own alternative ballots READY TO GO for the convention. That means Paulites need to show up with preprinted ballots that do NOT have the party annointed delegates names on it. Just blank spaces for people to write in their votes. We have to remove these dirty tricks (though they may be procedurally fair) from the process at the start of the conventions and not let them take hold.

I just realized that this probably should have it's very own thread so Ill start a new thread with more detail and hopefully more input. The good news here is that the party just tipped their hand and we can develop a strategy to disseminate to our own state orgs.

JasonM
04-06-2012, 09:28 AM
The good news is that the GOP just tipped their hand for the rest of the state conventions. They'll disseminate this little plan to all the state GOP offices. It's our job to figure out how to counter it. The state conventions are run by Robert's Rules like the rest of the conventions. Clog it up! Delay! Frustrate! Use the rules to challenge the party. Remember, the rules can be amended to say pretty much whatever you want! "I move to amend Rule/Bylaw #whatever" and state the changes or "I move to amend the Rules/Bylaws by adding an additional Rule, which will be #whatever".

See here: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/roberts-rules-for-amending-bylaws.html

The thing I'd like to see more about is the "check box" mentioned and very quickly shown on that ballot. Was the checkbox simply a way for those in attendence to just vote for the entire party slate with a single check? If so, THAT needs to be challenged if it wasn't expressly in the convention rules. Point of order! The ballot does not comply with the rules! Then explain how it undermines the delegate selection process. If enough people are irked by the party's attempt to shut out non-annointed delegates then the ballot can be thrown out. More on this in the next section.

Also, it appeared the ballot actually had the names of the annointed delegates already on it. That should be challenged as well (I rise to a question of privilege) and a motion to amend the rules/bylaws raised for a new ballot that expressly omits the names of delegates and leaves the vote entirely up to the convention. How do we counter these shenanigans? We need to have our own alternate ballots READY TO GO for the convention. That means Paulites need to show up with preprinted ballots that do NOT have the party annointed delegates names on it. Just blank spaces for people to write in their votes. We have to remove these dirty tricks (though they may be procedurally fair) from the process at the start of the conventions and not let them take hold.

I just realized that this probably should have it's very own thread so Ill start a new thread with more detail and hopefully more input. The good news here is that the party just tipped their hand and we can develop a strategy to disseminate to our own state orgs.

Good stuff!! Fight the good fight!! We cannot allow a repeat of what happened in ND, and if possible try to make it happen for Ron Paul instead!!

devil21
04-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Good stuff!! Fight the good fight!! We cannot allow a repeat of what happened in ND, and if possible try to make it happen for Ron Paul instead!!

Thanks. I started a new thread on it here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?370807-How-to-counter-party-establishment-shenanigans-at-state-conventions-important-open-thread

gjdavis60
04-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Well, the GOP would certainly rather lose the election than have Paul become their nominee, that could not be more clear. Those in power would rather maintain control; even if they are in the minority, and they know the RP movement would purge the current leadership should it gain a foothold in the party.

DonovanJames
04-06-2012, 10:28 AM
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."

Titus
04-06-2012, 10:48 AM
I do think that there is some sort of violation of the equal protection clause regarding the voting rights act, although I don't practice that field of law or in North Dakota.

First, the ballot preselected delegates and left others off. Normally, this is not a problem. However, in normal situations, the candidates know the requirements to be on the ballot and challenge them ahead of time if they are unconstitutional. Yet, the candidates had no such opportunity.

Two, there seemed to be a poll tax to be a candidate. People who donated money were heavily favored on this ballot. Candidate access should not depend on the size of one's checkbook but the support for his or her ideals.

Three, the amendment to try to display all the candidates. People could not know who supported whom based on the screen. On Ben Swann's reality check, it was clear no one could logically see that far without glasses.

Four, because voting rights are at issue what is the "compelling government interest" that suggests the ballots need to be done this way and was it "narrowly tailored" to achieve such a result? For non-lawyers, narrowly tailored usually means that the governmental action did not cause excessive harm or under protect the group it was supposed to be protecting. Is there another way to achieve the result that would be better? That's not a perfect definition but it's close.

Five, if the court decides voting rights are not implicated under the private group rationale, then the case would likely be decided under something called rational basis review. This basically says is there a rational basis for treating this group better than the other group. The state party officials would probably say something like "selecting favored candidates helps ensure election integrity". Even then, the state would have great difficulties because election integrity cannot mean preselecting the results for voters.

Also, the denial of this knowledge of how to get on the ballot would not have a rational basis. Denying people knowledge of how to get on the ballot only serves to disenfranchise candidates.

This sounds like the type of thing that someone should contact their ACLU to file an injunction regarding the case. If such a case managed to attract media attention, it would accomplish a huge goal of showing lack of inevitability. After all, if Mitt is inevitable, why does he need to do this? Such a case likely would have some merit. Due to the implications, the case would likely move along quickly. See Bush v Gore.

tsai3904
04-06-2012, 10:53 AM
This is why GETTING ON THE COMMITTEES IS SO IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!! That is, the state party committees that ultimately decide on the slate that go to Tampa to select the Republican Nominee for president (among other things).

People just plain don't understand the importance of these obscure things when it comes to their civic duty. Then they wonder how they get screwed after every single election. =/

Exactly. In some states, to be on committees, you have to be members of your local and state GOP. If we don't get involved in our local GOP, this will continue to happen.

For those that want to get involved, read this:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?368828-Become-a-Voting-Member-of-Your-County-GOP

Its very easy to become a member of your local GOP and its a volunteer position (meaning you can resign at ANY time).