PDA

View Full Version : And yet another cop re-instatement. After two brutality cases one costing the city $795k.

phill4paul
04-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Forget the two weeks paid vacation. The 'in' thing now is to take several years of paid vacation.

http://www.westword.com/2012-01-19/news/alex-landau-officer-reinstated/

Ricky Nixon, Denver cop involved in several brutality cases, is reinstated

Three years ago this past Sunday, Denver police officers pulled over Alex Landau, then nineteen, for allegedly making an illegal left turn onto Emerson Street — and then, wielding flashlights and radios as weapons, they beat him bloody

http://media.westword.com/alex-landau-officer-reinstated.7569010.40.jpg

Although Landau received one of the city's largest police-brutality settlements — $795,000 — this past May, his story remains a chilling example of racial profiling. And now that story is starting a new chapter, since Officer Ricky Nixon, who was involved in the incident and later fired from the Denver Police Department in connection with a fracas at the Denver Diner, was just ordered reinstated to the force by three hearing officers with the Denver Civil Service Commission....

On the night of January 15, 2009, Nixon was driving the police car that stopped Landau, a Community College of Denver student who is African-American but had been adopted by a white couple with police officers in their family. The fight allegedly started when Landau asked Nixon if he had a warrant to search his trunk and Nixon responded by punching him in the face; two other officers who'd pulled up to the scene reportedly joined in. Landau was eventually treated for a broken nose, lacerations and closed-head injuries — but not before he demanded that someone take photos of his injuries. Those pictures helped convince the city to settle the federal lawsuit that Landau's attorney had filed....

And it get's worse...

Last spring, Garcia had also fired both Randy Murr, one of the officers involved in the Landau incident, and Devin Sparks in connection with the videotaped beating of Michael DeHerrera in LoDo in 2009; this past fall, hearing officers recommended that these officers, too, be reinstated.

In examining Ricky Nixon there seems to be a pattern of abuse...

http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=242144

DENVER - Another round of reaction came Saturday after two fired Denver Police officers were reinstated to the force.

Officers Kevin Devine and Ricky Nixon, accused of excessive force and lying on reports, received full reinstatement and back-pay after a decision by the Civil Service Commission.

The two officers were seen on video in July 2009 at the Denver Diner near Speer Boulevard and Colfax Avenue wrestling handcuffed women to the ground and spraying them in the face with pepper spray....

The city fired Devine and Nixon, who were accused of lying on their reports about the incident by making it appear they were defending themselves....

"I'm upset. I'm very hurt," Ana Ortega told 9Wants to Know.
Ortega says she was one of the women who was pepper sprayed.

"Reinstating these officers... it makes people think twice about calling 911," Ortega said. "I don't trust the Denver Police Department.

Nor do I. The 'hearings officers' march in lockstep to get every officer in these events re-instated.

So the lesson here is. Why go for a two week paid vacation when you can take a couple years off and get a big fat lump sum.
Seems 'Tricky' Ricky Nixon knows how to play the game.

phill4paul
04-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Last spring, Garcia had also fired both Randy Murr, one of the officers involved in the Landau incident, and Devin Sparks in connection with the videotaped beating of Michael DeHerrera in LoDo in 2009; this past fall, hearing officers recommended that these officers, too, be reinstated.

Back story and video of the Micheal DeHerrera case....

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2010/08/police_beating_reasonable_force_weird_camera_moves _inside_the_michael_deherrera_video.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARzuw9cXvVQ

tod evans
04-05-2012, 09:31 AM
But it's all for the kids.......err, your own good......

The fox is watching the hen house.

What's the solution? Courts are an integral part of the problem....Civilian "review-boards" are made up of wives and relatives of members of "the system".

My idea of a "fair" review board would be ex-cons who have been off parole for 10yrs. and from at least 50 miles away from the offense.

These people would offer a view of police behavior that has never been publicized let alone given any credence.

Who better to hold cops and other corrupt public officials accountable than those who have been in the belly of the beast?

aGameOfThrones
04-05-2012, 09:39 AM
INB4 the police apologist.

BTW, I found the 95% good, "was just ordered reinstated to the force by three hearing officers with the Denver Civil Service Commission".

phill4paul
04-05-2012, 09:46 AM
The fox is watching the hen house.

Indeed the great part of this scam is that you basically get double your pay. Because even though you are fired from one force another will readily hire you on. Then when you get your re-instatement you get the double time bonus!

What's the solution? Courts are an integral part of the problem....Civilian "review-boards" are made up of wives and relatives of members of "the system".

My idea of a "fair" review board would be ex-cons who have been off parole for 10yrs. and from at least 50 miles away from the offense.

These people would offer a view of police behavior that has never been publicized let alone given any credence.

Who better to hold cops and other corrupt public officials accountable than those who have been in the belly of the beast?

I honestly don't know what the solution is. But, you got the one thing pegged that is sure. The system is stacked to support it's own.

phill4paul
04-05-2012, 09:50 AM
INB4 the police apologist.

BTW, I found the 95% good, "was just ordered reinstated to the force by three hearing officers with the Denver Civil Service Commission".

Sure. That is why they are called 'hearing officers.' They are not called 'adjudicators' or 'arbitrators.' See that nice little connection?

tod evans
04-05-2012, 10:44 AM
I honestly don't know what the solution is. But, you got the one thing pegged that is sure. The system is stacked to support it's own.

I was taught a long time ago to try and put myself in the other mans shoes before judging.

Asking members of the "establishment" to sit in judgement of their own is foolish at best.

It's my opinion that only those who have been judged by the "establishment" are capable of seeing through the shenanigans to possibly view the truth.

I don't know how wise it would be to permit such a board to impose sentence because they could rightly seek vengeance.

However, I'm certain that a verdict much closer to reality could be reached if those who inquired had "been there/done that".

I could see members of both factions imposing sentences in conjunction with each other.

( That's an interesting mental picture, lawyers-n-cons sentencing cops)

phill4paul
04-05-2012, 12:39 PM
I was taught a long time ago to try and put myself in the other mans shoes before judging.

Asking members of the "establishment" to sit in judgement of their own is foolish at best.

It's my opinion that only those who have been judged by the "establishment" are capable of seeing through the shenanigans to possibly view the truth.

I don't know how wise it would be to permit such a board to impose sentence because they could rightly seek vengeance.

However, I'm certain that a verdict much closer to reality could be reached if those who inquired had "been there/done that".

I could see members of both factions imposing sentences in conjunction with each other.

( That's an interesting mental picture, lawyers-n-cons sentencing cops)

I think that if the City Council along with the Chief of Police fires an individual then they should simply remain fired. If they feel they have a strong enough case for recompense then they need to bring wrongful termination litigation.

tod evans
04-05-2012, 12:52 PM
I think that if the City Council along with the Chief of Police fires an individual then they should simply remain fired. If they feel they have a strong enough case for recompense then they need to bring wrongful termination litigation.

Where?

In the courts that they work in every day, where they know the judges and prosecutors and their kids?

Somehow this seems like the ol' fox again........

phill4paul
04-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Where?

In the courts that they work in every day, where they know the judges and prosecutors and their kids?

Somehow this seems like the ol' fox again........

Well, preferably in front of an actual jury.

tod evans
04-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Well, preferably in front of an actual jury.

A jury of who's peers though? Hopefully one that actually represented society.

If that actually happened and if the jury were able to consist of some people who were convicted of similar crimes, say equal numbers of citizens/ex-cons, and then if the jury was pulled from a distance.

Then I could get behind the idea.

Cops and their brethren are not held accountable as "Joe citizen" is.......

To pretend that a cop would get a "fair" trial without and accurate cross section of society sitting in the jury box is kind of silly.

As it is now with the voir-dire even a citizen doesn't get much of a chance or a "fair" jury, the favoritism shown to cops and members of the judicial system doesn't represent a true cross section of society....Or a jury of your peers.

In order to actually "balance" the scales cops would be tried in front of a jury of all cons...

Anti Federalist
04-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Jesus...

phill4paul
04-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Jesus...

My reaction exactly.

So let's see. We got one Trooper that get's a quarter-million and re-instatement after Hanging and Brutally kicking his K-9 ( another police officer with regards to us mundanes).

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?370322-Trooper-Fired-After-Brutally-hanging-Kicking-Police-Dog-Gets-His-Job-Back-w-back-pay

We got a re-instatement of an officer that recieved unemployment benefit for shooting an unarmed, uncharged man in the back,

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?370625-Another-cop-re-instated.-This-time-after-shooting-unarmed-man-in-back.

And this case. I'm seeing a pattern here. Seems they've learned to work the system real nice. I wonder if they have a 'Fuck The Taxpayer and Thumb Your Nose in Their Faces' Award

Anti Federalist
04-05-2012, 06:45 PM
I wonder if they have a 'Fuck The Taxpayer and Thumb Your Nose in Their Faces' Award

Yes, yes they do.

Cops Involved in Questionable Shootings Get Medal-of-Freedomed

http://reason.com/blog/2011/04/21/cops-involved-in-questionable

And if you have anything to say about it, this fucking guy will be at your doorstep for a friendly "chat":

http://photos.lasvegassun.com/media/img/photos/2010/09/23/0923inquest15_t653.jpg?214bc4f9d9bd7c08c7d0f6599bb 3328710e01e7b

tod evans
04-05-2012, 07:17 PM
One word comes to mind;

Dangerouslyinbreadsisterfucker.

phill4paul
04-06-2012, 05:34 AM
Yes, yes they do.

Cops Involved in Questionable Shootings Get Medal-of-Freedomed

http://reason.com/blog/2011/04/21/cops-involved-in-questionable

And if you have anything to say about it, this fucking guy will be at your doorstep for a friendly "chat":

http://photos.lasvegassun.com/media/img/photos/2010/09/23/0923inquest15_t653.jpg?214bc4f9d9bd7c08c7d0f6599bb 3328710e01e7b

What the FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU?

Good lord. I am so staggered that I cannot even respond to this right now.

thoughtomator
04-06-2012, 05:51 AM
something actually married that :eek:

phill4paul
04-06-2012, 10:29 AM
something actually married that :eek:

LOL. I was looking at the 'hashmark' on his sleeve. In the military these were used to denote length of service. I'm thinking his was for the 'Combat Qual' that he is re-enacting.

phill4paul
04-10-2012, 10:36 AM
UPDATE: Seems Officers Sparks and Murr were fired again. Hopefully they will remain so.........

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/30861837/detail.html

DENVER -- Two officers who were fired, then reinstated after an aggressive arrest was caught on videotape, have been fired again.
Officer Devin Sparks and Cpl. Randy Murr were initially disciplined for filing an inaccurate police report about the incident. However, following the release of a video showing the officers throwing Michael DeHerrera to the ground outside a downtown nightclub in April 2009, the new Denver Manager of Safety fired the officers for lying during an investigation into the arrest.
In September 2011, the Denver Civil Service Commission hearing panel voted to reinstate the officers saying a former city manager did not have power to reopen an investigation after initially suspending Sparks for 24 hours and Murr for three days.

Denver Mayor Michael Hancock vowed to appeal the case and on Monday, the Civil Service Commission reversed the panel's decision.