PDA

View Full Version : Nye County Republicans plan to appeal Paul convention win | Reno Gazette-Journal |

ChristopherShelley
04-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Nye County Republicans plan to appeal Paul convention win | Reno Gazette-Journal | rgj.com

http://www.rgj.com/article/20120404/NEWS19/304040099/Nye-County-Republicans-plan-appeal-Paul-convention-win

Supporters of Republican presidential candidate U.S. Rep. Ron Paul said they came away with all 75 state delegates from Nye County and more than half of 108 state delegates from Douglas County in convention voting Saturday.

But leaders of the Nye Republican Central Committee say they plan to appeal the vote to the state GOP Credentials Committee because backers of Paul, R-Texas, violated party rules and state law, prompting them to leave before the election.

“Me and the others left early because the Paul supporters violated state law, and were unruly and rowdy,” said Fely A. Quitevis, chairman of the Nye GOP. “I couldn’t stand it anymore and gave up. In my heart and mind, I know I did the right thing.”

Paul supporters maintain Nye GOP leaders cheated by trying to convene the convention with unelected delegates, and they elected a chair who oversaw a fair election.

“Supporters of Dr. Paul are reshaping Republican politics in Nevada,” Carl Bunce, Nevada chairman of Paul’s campaign, said in a statement. “They have the stamina and determination to bring the party back to its limited-government roots, county by county.”

Bunce has said Paul supporters would follow rules requiring Nevada’s 28 delegates to be bound on the first ballot to vote in line with the GOP caucus-winning percentages. Republican former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney earned 14 of those delegates because he finished with 50 percent of the caucus vote in February.

But delegates could switch to other candidates if a contested convention leads to more than one ballot.

Last month, Paul backers captured more than half of Clark County’s 1,382 delegates to the state convention in Sparks in May. They also won 14 of the Clark GOP's 21 executive board positions. The county encompassing Las Vegas is the state’s most populous.

While Paul supporters have said they share the GOP goal of defeating Democratic President Barack Obama, the Paul factor could complicate matters at the state convention.

Four years ago, GOP leaders who supported then-presidential candidate U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., abruptly shut down the state convention in Reno when it appeared Paul would take most of Nevada’s delegates to the national convention.

The state convention will elect 28 delegates to the Republican National Convention this summer in Tampa, Fla.

Ralph McMullen, parliamentarian for the state Republican Party, said it would be up to the credentials committee to decide whether the Nye election was legal. The panel also will consider a similar controversy involving Carson City's state delegates, he added.

“I don’t care who wins as long as the rules are followed,” McMullen said. “We don’t want a repeat of 2008. The main thing is you win it fairly and squarely.”

ChristopherShelley
04-05-2012, 12:43 AM
Didn't see this on the forum, so I posted it.

unknown
04-05-2012, 12:51 AM
“We don’t want a repeat of 2008. The main thing is you win it fairly and squarely.”

What happened in 2008?

ONUV
04-05-2012, 01:39 AM
What happened in 2008?

this

Four years ago, GOP leaders who supported then-presidential candidate U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., abruptly shut down the state convention in Reno when it appeared Paul would take most of Nevada’s delegates to the national convention.

PolicyReader
04-05-2012, 02:02 AM
Anyone have background on credentials committee there? Do we have any idea how above boards they're going to be/if there are any recourse's if they don't stick to the rules as written.

speciallyblend
04-05-2012, 02:06 AM
so what rule was violated? pretty vague article.

PolicyReader
04-05-2012, 02:11 AM
so what rule was violated? pretty vague article.
Fely A. Quitevis hasn't made that part up yet, give it time ;) :rolleyes:

speciallyblend
04-05-2012, 02:34 AM
Fely A. Quitevis hasn't made that part up yet, give it time ;) :rolleyes:

we should email him and ask and hold his feet to the fire!

kathy88
04-05-2012, 04:50 AM
I checked her out a couple days ago. Big friend of Sue Lowden, pics of Sue's birthday party all over her website.

Here's a refresher

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/2010/06/why_sue_lowden_lost_nevadas_go.html

Lowden -- who was then the Nevada GOP chairwoman -- panicked. She and other state GOP leaders shut the convention down, promising to reconvene the delegates at a later date. But they never did. Instead, Lowden held a private conference call with state Republican leaders who secretly approved the slate of McCain delegates. The Libertarian activists -- many of whom now populate the Tea Party movement in Nevada -- never forgave her.

It appears Ms. Quitevas had a good teacher.

nobody's_hero
04-05-2012, 07:54 AM
GOP establishment to Ron Paul newcomers:

"Y'all just need to get involved and work from the grassroots to change the things you want to be changed. Nothing happens overnight, you need to put the effort into getting involved if you want to win."

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3d-RGzII0wU/TemAM_JIMtI/AAAAAAAAAAQ/rCw4D-m9ebs/s1600/trollface.jpg

*In response, Ron Paul people show up and make the changes they wish to see, overnight.*

GOP establishment:

"What the FUCK! Oh hell no!!! HEEELLLLLL NO! OMG This will not be allowed! Re-do!! Re-do!"

http://a2.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/090/Purple/a4/65/c4/mzl.gaoiycgj.175x175-75.jpg