PDA

View Full Version : American Jews prefer Muslims to the Christian right

TheLibertarianNationalist
04-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Yesterday I wrote an article about a new survey by the Public Religion Research Institute on Jewish attitudes towards the 2012 presidential race and how issues such as Iran and Israel factor in. But there’s some other interesting information to be gleaned (keeping in mind that it’s an Internet-based survey with a 5% margin of error which had to heavily re-weight the Orthodox and unaffiliated to get a proportion reflective of the national Jewish population).

For one thing, Jews have warmer feelings towards Muslims and Mormons than the Christian right. None of the groups cracked the warm feelings half of the favorability scale, where 100 equals very warm feelings and 0 equals very cold feelings. But Mormons came close with an average score of 47 out of 100 points and Muslims behind that at 41 out of 100 points. Jews rated the Christian right at an average of just 21 out of 100.

Assessing Israel’s problems using a different type of scale, another religious group – the ultra-Orthodox – and its control of religious life in the Jewish state was seen as a major problem by 53% of those surveyed and a minor problem by 36%. Iran and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict got the highest ratings, with the latter seen by the most people as a major problem (90%) and the former seen as a major problem by 83% of those surveyed.

The poll also yielded some generational divides on the importance of different Jewish experiences. For older Jews (60-plus years), 68% see the Holocaust as very important; for younger Jews (18-39) only 41% do. For older Jews, being a religious minority in America is seen as very important by 36%; it is viewed similarly by just 24% of younger Jews. And the immigrant experience is very important for 39% of older Jews but only 19% of younger Jews.

And just in time for Passover, the survey asked the pollees a few questions about the Jewish holidays. Queried on what was the most important Jewish holiday to them personally, Yom Kippur won with 43% of the vote, with Passover next at 25%. Hanukkah and Rosh Hashanah each claimed 10%. And contacted as they were in the thick of the run-up to Passover, 68% of US Jews said they planned to attend a seder. Twenty-seven percent said they were skipping.

To tie it back to the political questions that dominated the earlier part of the survey, the pollsters split the numbers by party affiliation. Only 22 percent of Democrats won’t be breaking matza on Friday night, compared to 36% of Republicans. If you need something to ponder as you count the minutes until the food is served at your seder, try squaring that figure with the notion that the Orthodox are considered to be more Republican-leaning than the rest of the American Jewish population.

- Hilary Leila Krieger

http://blogs.jpost.com/content/american-jews-prefer-muslims-christian-right

GeorgiaAvenger
04-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Hahaha

No way

04-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Doesn't surprise me, Liberalism is prominent in American Judaism. This isn't the case for actual Israeli Jews, of course.

moderate libertarian
04-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Is that really news to anyone? Both don't eat pork, both circumcise and have bunch of similarities in their way of believing. They are natural allies in some other western christian majority nations too.

Not just in America, jewish people in France, Austria, Hungary, Germany and various other countries left Christian majority nations to move to muslim majority neighborhood in mideast.

I think same survey said that 64% of American jews would re-elect Obama. Would be interesting to see what %age of Christians and muslims would support Obama in 2012.

Stupified
04-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Doesn't surprise me, Liberalism is prominent in American Judaism. This isn't the case for actual Israeli Jews, of course.

Are you implying conservatism means a dislike of Muslims?

04-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Is that really news to anyone? Both don't eat pork, both circumcise and have bunch of similarities in their way of believing. They are natural allies in some other western christian majority nations too.

Not just in America, jewish people in France, Austria, Hungary, Germany and various other countries left Christian majority nations to move to muslim majority neighborhood in mideast.

I think same survey said that 64% of American jews would re-elect Obama. Would be interesting to see what %age of Christians and muslims would support Obama in 2012.

Well those Jewish communities in those nations have been there for quite some time. I can see some of them moving to Israel, but where else in the Middle East are they moving to? Regardless, it seems like the Jews' destiny to be ruled over by Islamics eventually. Just looking at the birthrates of Israel can tell you that.

Are you implying conservatism means a dislike of Muslims?

Liberalism causes one to have self-hatred and sympathize with the enemy. At this moment there is no bigger threat to Judaism than Islam, yet they are more than willing to embrace it over Christianity. Which I find repugnant. But traditional American Conservatism and Western civilization is against any religion that isn't Christianity. So, yes, disliking Islam is a fair position to have. They have tried to invade and oppress Christian lands for over 1,000 years mind you.

Stupified
04-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Well those Jewish communities in those nations have been there for quite some time. I can see some of them moving to Israel, but where else in the Middle East are they moving to? Regardless, it seems like the Jews' destiny to be ruled over by Islamics eventually. Just looking at the birthrates of Israel can tell you that.

Liberalism causes one to have self-hatred and sympathize with the enemy. At this moment there is no bigger threat to Judaism than Islam, yet they are more than willing to embrace it over Christianity. Which I find repugnant. But traditional American Conservatism and Western civilization is against any religion that isn't Christianity. So, yes, disliking Islam is a fair position to have. They have tried to invade and oppress Christian lands for over 1,000 years mind you.

Disliking Christianity is a fair position to have as well, in my book. What makes a Christian any better than a Muslim? There is just as much blood on the hands of Christianity as there is on Islam's. Probably quite a bit more, since it had a head start of a few hundred years.

04-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Disliking Christianity is a fair position to have as well, in my book. What makes a Christian any better than a Muslim? There is just as much blood on the hands of Christianity as there is on Islam's. Probably quite a bit more, since it had a head start of a few hundred years.

Islam had a pretty impressive golden age but after that ended, it pretty much fell into barbarism and stayed put. Which reveals its true nature as a weaker religion. Christianity has been able to incorporate secular beliefs and survive. While Islam never really progressed out of that uber-religious mentality.

QuickZ06
04-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Shocker....

Stupified
04-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Islam had a pretty impressive golden age but after that ended, it pretty much fell into barbarism and stayed put. Which reveals its true nature as a weaker religion. Christianity has been able to incorporate secular beliefs and survive. While Islam never really progressed out of that uber-religious mentality.

For hundreds of years, Christians killed or imprisoned anyone who challenged the status quo. They still attempt that now, only instead of old fashioned death, it's social rejection and ostracism. Christianity never incorporates secular beliefs until there is no feasible way to deny those secular "beliefs" anymore, like the belief that the world is not the center of the universe. Tell Galileo how willing Christianity was to incorporate his beliefs.

BlackTerrel
04-04-2012, 08:49 PM
For hundreds of years, Christians killed or imprisoned anyone who challenged the status quo. They still attempt that now, only instead of old fashioned death, it's social rejection and ostracism. Christianity never incorporates secular beliefs until there is no feasible way to deny those secular "beliefs" anymore, like the belief that the world is not the center of the universe. Tell Galileo how willing Christianity was to incorporate his beliefs.

Yes every day Christians are looking to kill anyone :rolleyes:

Why do you have so much fear of Christians? Where does it come from?

moderate libertarian
04-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Yes every day Christians are looking to kill anyone :rolleyes:

Why do you have so much fear of Christians? Where does it come from?

I read from that post was that the writer was referring to historic context.

Today perceptions are different but few decades ago these were perceptions of Israel's founding father about another western christian majority nation:

Theodor Herzl
Herzl first encountered the anti-Semitism that would shape his life and the fate of
the ... Herzl witnessed mobs shouting “Death to the Jews” in France, the home of
the ... He envisioned a new society that was to rise in the Land of Israel on a ...
www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/Herzl.html

oyarde
04-04-2012, 11:20 PM

I think same survey said that 64% of American jews would re-elect Obama. Would be interesting to see what %age of Christians and muslims would support Obama in 2012. Actually in a way , it does make sense , Jews living under Sharia , as ACCEPTED unbelievers pay a much lower tax rate , IN Modern TIMES , than they would as American citizens ,

oyarde
04-04-2012, 11:27 PM
I am not Jewish or Muslim , I am Christian , I do not wish live under ANY religious law , I like the Constitution , I am equally suspicious of those who claim to be Christian , those who claim to be Jewish and those who claim to be Muslim , I have seen how they vote and how they govern. I am suspicious of some others too :) That is all I have to say about that .

BlackTerrel
04-04-2012, 11:46 PM
I read from that post was that the writer was referring to historic context.

No he was not. He said "[Christians] still attempt that now". As in the present. It is completely illogical and based on fear.

BlackTerrel
04-04-2012, 11:48 PM

Most recent poll data I could find:

(CNSNews.com) -- Eighty percent of Muslim Americans approve of the way Barack Obama is handling his job as president, according to a newly released survey conducted by the Abu Dhabi Gallup Center, a partnership between Gallup and the Crown Prince Court of Abu Dhabi.

According to the survey, 65 percent of Jewish Americans approve of the job Obama is doing; 60 percent of atheists, agnostics, and those of no religion approve; 50 percent of Catholics approve; 37 percent of Protestants approve and 25 percent of Mormons approve.

Stupified
04-04-2012, 11:51 PM
No he was not. He said "[Christians] still attempt that now". As in the present. It is completely illogical and based on fear.

Apparently you have trouble comprehending sentences then. The complete quote that you are referring to is this:

They still attempt that now, only instead of old fashioned death, it's social rejection and ostracism.

Never did I state that Christians still attempt to kill people now. And in my opinion, it's not an illogical observation at all.

BlackTerrel
04-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Never did I state that Christians still attempt to kill people now. And in my opinion, it's not an illogical observation at all.

Ok I missed it then. What exactly is your accusation then:

1. Christians don't vote for people they disagree with?

2. Christians don't hang out with people they disagree with?

3. Christians ostracize people they disagree with?

4. Spell it out....

Those all seem rather common of people in general. Not Christians in particular.