PDA

View Full Version : I just voted in Maryland

Havax
04-03-2012, 11:45 AM
I know lots of people have created their own threads but us Marylanders have been waiting a long time to vote and I couldn't resist. I voted in a small elementary school sort of in the country during the heart of lunchtime. The place was desolate. I was there for probably 30 minutes as I was researching the right Senate candidate to choose (not sure any of them were truly liberty Republicans but I voted for a guy named David Jones anyway). There probably was a total of 10 people that filed through while I was there, all of them very old. I also think almost half of them were democrats voting in the democratic primary. I think the turnout is going to be very low. I have a feeling Ron can get 3rd.

Anyway, this felt great.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/552767_10100945126520728_5736737_59580836_77703079 6_n.jpg

sailingaway
04-03-2012, 12:04 PM
front page! (your picture works...)

Trigonx
04-03-2012, 12:26 PM
I couldn't tell what the turnout for my polling place. It was at a bowling alley during Tuesday morning senior league. So I see a bunch of old people coming in and around but they are there to bowl, not vote. I saw one voter in the voting booths using the only computer touch screen booth with an election volunteer explaining how the thing worked.

and +rep, It felt great for sure voting for him.

Havax
04-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Cool! Also, I got about 10 new people registered Republican (you're welcome RNC) most of whom never voted before or voted for Obama in 08. I was surprised at the number of friends I have that I thought never cared about politics that voted for Ron today or are now on board. On the other hand, I'm even more surprised at the number of hardcore Ron Paul people I know that neglected to register in time, or are telling me they aren't voting because there is "no point". Very sad, and believe me I've tried everything to get them to vote, including driving them and buying their lunch (is that illegal?). I'm still going to try up until 8pm.

One last thing, I sent out a mass text to about 30 people, most of which I know are neocons and I got a couple of them to vote for Ron today, even thought they disagree with him on a lot and prefer Romney. I hope others will try this angle as well. You'd be surprised even if you had written someone off before to simply ask them to vote for Ron Paul. I specifically remember getting in heated arguments in person or on facebook over Ron Paul with some of these people and they told me today they're going to vote for him. All I had to do was politely ask (and remind them they can still vote for Romney in the general election if it comes to that).

P.S. - the campaign did a great job reaching out to me. I got 2 voicemails from the campaign reminding me to vote.

Darguth
04-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Cool! Also, I got about 10 new people registered Republican (you're welcome RNC) most of whom never voted before or voted for Obama in 08. I was surprised at the number of friends I have that I thought never cared about politics that voted for Ron today or are now on board.

Independent studies show a moderate dose of Ron Paul from time-to-time provides the fastest and most complete relief for political apathy.

RonRules
04-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Why is Rick Perry still on an ELECTRONIC ballot? Can't they just delete the name?

Havax
04-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Why is Rick Perry still on an ELECTRONIC ballot? Can't they just delete the name?

It honestly probably helps us since Perry endorsed Gingrich and hence any stubborn Perry supporters still voting for him will further split Gingrich's base and hand us 3rd place.

SpicyTurkey
04-03-2012, 01:22 PM
What a coincidence! I'm voting Ron Paul too!!

GoatsGoneWild
04-03-2012, 01:29 PM
I just got home from voting for liberty. I'm also in MD. I voted at an elementary school around 2:30-3:00 and the place was dead except for a handful of old people.

It feels great to be a 20-something who actually gets off of his ass to vote.

Havax
04-03-2012, 01:33 PM
More good news:

Just got this picture message from my mom and she said "4 more votes for Paul - your dad, your grandmother and grandfather". This is amazing considering none of the four liked or supported Ron Paul this time last year.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2086wqr.jpg

Brian4Liberty
04-03-2012, 01:40 PM
I know lots of people have created their own threads but us Marylanders have been waiting a long time to vote and I couldn't resist.

Just curious, did you vote for any candidates from our list?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?370371-Liberty-candidates-in-Maryland-and-Wisconsin!
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?365683-List-of-Liberty-minded-Candidates-for-US-Congress

Havax
04-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Just curious, did you vote for any candidates from our list?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?370371-Liberty-candidates-in-Maryland-and-Wisconsin!
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?365683-List-of-Liberty-minded-Candidates-for-US-Congress

Unfortunately no, I didn't know enough. I did read his entire issues page before deciding on someone else though. If he makes it to the general, I'll consider voting for him. I got the feeling he wanted to increase defense spending.

GoatsGoneWild
04-03-2012, 02:09 PM
I voted for Bongino, but did so reluctantly. I don't think he's very pure. I almost left the Senate part blank, but I was too paranoid that doing so would jeopardize my votes for Paul and his delegates.

RickyJ
04-03-2012, 02:21 PM

Establishment goons can't do anything right except rig an election with the cover of the main stream media of course.

tangent4ronpaul
04-03-2012, 02:31 PM
We voted for Paul (and more importantly, his delegates) today too during the lunch hour. Low turnout is an understatement! There were something like 4 poll workers for every voter. The place was a ghost town.

-t

PolicyReader
04-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Cool! Also, I got about 10 new people registered Republican (you're welcome RNC) most of whom never voted before or voted for Obama in 08. I was surprised at the number of friends I have that I thought never cared about politics that voted for Ron today or are now on board. On the other hand, I'm even more surprised at the number of hardcore Ron Paul people I know that neglected to register in time, or are telling me they aren't voting because there is "no point". Very sad, and believe me I've tried everything to get them to vote, including driving them and buying their lunch (is that illegal?). I'm still going to try up until 8pm.

One last thing, I sent out a mass text to about 30 people, most of which I know are neocons and I got a couple of them to vote for Ron today, even thought they disagree with him on a lot and prefer Romney. I hope others will try this angle as well. You'd be surprised even if you had written someone off before to simply ask them to vote for Ron Paul. I specifically remember getting in heated arguments in person or on facebook over Ron Paul with some of these people and they told me today they're going to vote for him. All I had to do was politely ask (and remind them they can still vote for Romney in the general election if it comes to that).

P.S. - the campaign did a great job reaching out to me. I got 2 voicemails from the campaign reminding me to vote.

There's so much right with this post, +rep to you as soon as I can give it. And Thank You for all your efforts.

Liberty_Now
04-03-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm 17 (18 by the GE) and just voted for Ron Paul in Maryland. Of course they were surprised to see someone so young voting but I would not be there if Ron Paul wasn't running. He hasn't given up on me and the liberty movement so I'm not giving up on him either. It feels so good to repay the liberty movement with my own vote. Ron Paul taught me so much about liberty and how precious it is so don't give up because there are many others out there just like me :).

Richie
04-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Voted today in Baltimore County, Maryland! I second what others have said. Turnout was extremely low. I was one of three people (give or take) at the precinct.

sailingaway
04-03-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm 17 (18 by the GE) and just voted for Ron Paul in Maryland. Of course they were surprised to see someone so young voting but I would not be there if Ron Paul wasn't running. He hasn't given up on me and the liberty movement so I'm not giving up on him either. It feels so good to repay the liberty movement with my own vote. Ron Paul taught me so much about liberty and how precious it is so don't give up because there are many others out there just like me :).

What a great first post, and welcome to the forums!

+rep!

Voted today in Baltimore County, Maryland! I second what others have said. Turnout was extremely low. I was one of three people (give or take) at the precinct.

and +rep to you, as well!

Liberty_Now
04-03-2012, 03:13 PM
And yes the people I talked to said horrible turnout as well.

Havax
04-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Just wanted to go on record with a prediction that Ron will get between 11%-14% tonight in Maryland. I'll officially go with 12%. If I'm right, I'll let you know how I arrived at this prediction.

Brian4Liberty
04-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Unfortunately no, I didn't know enough. I did read his entire issues page before deciding on someone else though. If he makes it to the general, I'll consider voting for him. I got the feeling he wanted to increase defense spending.

I voted for Bongino, but did so reluctantly. I don't think he's very pure. I almost left the Senate part blank, but I was too paranoid that doing so would jeopardize my votes for Paul and his delegates.

Yeah, you might question his Defense positions, considering his background in government. But as Ron Paul says, there is a difference between Defense spending and Military/War spending.

Mike Lee endorsed him, and Bongino had this to say on his issues page about Defense (and returning our troops):

Our United States military is the most respected fighting force in the world and a strong national defense must be our first priority in an uncertain world. Uniformed services modernization through research and development on new programs, an increase in numbers for the special forces, equipment replacement and personnel development combined with a troop return from our two active war zones will allow us to rebuild and restore our military.

tangent4ronpaul
04-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Just wanted to go on record with a prediction that Ron will get between 11%-14% tonight in Maryland. I'll officially go with 12%. If I'm right, I'll let you know how I arrived at this prediction.

You might want to nudge that % up...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/breaking/bs-md-election-turnout-20120403,0,2677881.story

Maryland primary election turnout light as day goes on
GOP contest for president moves some voters

Poll worker after poll worker described the same scene at precincts across Maryland Tuesday: no lines and light primary election turnout.

As Larry Kamner shuffled across the empty basketball court at the Gen. Harry C. Ruhl Armory in Towson, he said the voting was among the slowest he'd seen in 50 years of working at Baltimore area precincts. By 9:30 a.m., 59 of the precinct's 2,135 voters had turned out. When polls opened at 7 a.m., there were three people in line, John G. Wallis, the precinct's chief GOP judge, said.

"We're anticipating that after work it will pick up," Wallis said. "This is the slowest election I've seen."

Steve Waite, a 57-year-old state health inspector, slipped in and out of the armory within minutes to cast a vote for Ron Paul, a Texas congressman running for the Republican nod for president.

"He's no-nonsense and he doesn't degrade the other candidates," Waite said.

[...]

Rick McShane was one of less than 50 voters at the Towson Presbyterian Church on West Chesapeake Avenue by about 8:30 a.m. Ann Shepter, the chief GOP judge, said it's one of the lightest turnouts she's witnessed. The precinct lost 500 voters to redistricting and has a total population of 2,715.

Linda Lamone, the administrator of the Maryland State Board of Elections, predicted that 25 percent of the electorate would turn out for the GOP presidential primary and a handful of congressional races. By about 11:45 a.m., turnout was 2.1 percent in Baltimore, according to Donna Duncan, election management director.

Duncan said turnout in the following counties Tuesday morning was: 2 percent in Anne Arundel; 6.5 in Calvert; 3.6 in Caroline; 4.4 in Cecil; 4 in Dorchester; 5 in Frederick; 4 in Howard; 5 in Washington; and 3.4 in Wicomico.

[...]

As the day went on, precincts across Maryland continued to report slow turnout, although in some places the turnout was typical of a primary election. At Brooklyn Park Middle School, 180 voters had turned out by 4 p.m. Lauren Calloway, a 23-year-old part-time event planner, spent the day at a booth she created outside the school to support Paul's campaign. She said she's not sure if she changed any minds, but she hopes she gave voters something to think about. "I believe he's the right man. He's the most logical," she said.

====

Remember we turn out, they don't!

-t

Luciconsort
04-03-2012, 04:13 PM
woooooooo just voted in Caroline County, MD for Dr. Paul of course... I abstained from voting for anyone else in the other races, none of them were appetizing to me. Voted for the RP delegates too. Big claps for my friend and local RPF Mod jd_my_prez_deo_vindice, he was out canvassing and handing out lit at 3 different polls in 2 different counties. you rule dude. I see a strong 3rd.... maaaayyyybeeee light 2nd. Party on Dr. Paul!!

malkusm
04-03-2012, 04:18 PM
My mom messaged me today to let me know that she voted for Ron. I also know that my father and grandfather are favorable towards him, and they usually vote, but I haven't spoken to them yet. I messaged a lot of friends encouraging them to get to the polls.

By the way, I believe Ron only got 4 votes last go-round in my home county (Dorchester). It's going to be much, much higher this time around, of course - I believe the OP and his family voted in Dorchester, as did my family, and others as well.

GoatsGoneWild
04-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Yeah, you might question his Defense positions, considering his background in government. But as Ron Paul says, there is a difference between Defense spending and Military/War spending.

Mike Lee endorsed him, and Bongino had this to say on his issues page about Defense (and returning our troops):
I thought I also read that Bongino endorsed 9-9-9, which is also a huge turn off for me.

GoatsGoneWild
04-03-2012, 04:22 PM
The local news just mentioned that turnout today has been abnormally low. As I said previously, my voting center was a ghost town today around 2:30 PM, but I figured that things would pick up in the evening when people get off from work.

Havax
04-03-2012, 04:34 PM
My mom messaged me today to let me know that she voted for Ron. I also know that my father and grandfather are favorable towards him, and they usually vote, but I haven't spoken to them yet. I messaged a lot of friends encouraging them to get to the polls.

By the way, I believe Ron only got 4 votes last go-round in my home county (Dorchester). It's going to be much, much higher this time around, of course - I believe the OP and his family voted in Dorchester, as did my family, and others as well.

90 votes for Paul in Dorchester County in 2008: http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/county/#MDREPprimary

Havax
04-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Just got a robocall saying turnout is extremely low and to ask 5 friends to vote for Ron Paul in order to beat Santorum.

kathy88
04-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Just got a robocall saying turnout is extremely low and to ask 5 friends to vote for Ron Paul in order to beat Santorum.

Guess you better get on that, then :) :) :)

malkusm
04-03-2012, 04:59 PM
90 votes for Paul in Dorchester County in 2008: http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/county/#MDREPprimary

Must have been just 4 in Cambridge proper, then. I remember being disappointed because I canvassed a bit :(

tangent4ronpaul
04-03-2012, 05:04 PM

There are 4,919 registered republican voters in Dorchester County and 4% had voted as of noon today. That's ~200 people. So we got 90 votes last time... hmmm... I think we are way past 12% for this county!

Emperius
04-03-2012, 05:12 PM
+Rep, OP!

KevinR
04-03-2012, 07:17 PM
I voted at an empty location in AA county!

helmuth_hubener
04-04-2012, 11:49 AM
I voted for Paul:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j1TbOK-SFU
Sometimes something beautiful happens in this world,
and you don't know how to express yourself so you just gotta sing:
I just vote Paul, yeah, and it felt so good.

And I'll never go back!

aaroche26
04-05-2012, 09:23 PM
AA