PDA

View Full Version : Man Denied Entry to US to Bury Son, 10

CaptainAmerica
04-01-2012, 08:12 PM
A Mexican national said he has been barred from entering the United States to bury his 10-year-old son, a U.S. citizen who died Tuesday in a house fire in northeastern Pennsylvania that killed three other people.

Attorneys for Fidelmar "Fidel" Merlos-Lopez are trying to win humanitarian parole so he can attend the funeral, but say U.S. Customs and Border Protection has rebuffed their efforts.

Damien Lopez died in a Shenandoah row house along with his cousin, aunt and 7-month-old half-brother. The funeral is set for Monday, with burial the next day.

"I told the customs officer that all I want is a permit to see my boy for one last time. They treat me as if I am a criminal," Lopez, 34, a bus driver, said in an interview Saturday. "Right now, I need their support, and they are refusing to help me."

Lopez has been waiting at the U.S.-Mexico border near Laredo, Texas, since the fire.

"He's out of his mind. Can you imagine? Your son is dead in a fire and you can't even get across. It's clear they are giving us the runaround," said Elizabeth Surin, his Philadelphia-based immigration lawyer.

A spokeswoman for the border agency did not return a phone message left at her office Saturday.

Lopez was a teenager when he entered the United States illegally in 1995 and wound up in Shenandoah, a blue-collar town with a large Hispanic population. He married a U.S. citizen who gave birth to Damien in 2002. He later divorced Damien's mother and married his current wife, Danielle Lopez, who's also a U.S. citizen.

read more
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/man-denied-entry-us-mexico-bury-son-10-16045449#.T3kJivBSTXp

IDefendThePlatform
04-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Statism at its finest. This truly is sad.

Also a fine example of why it's immoral to use government violence to restrict immigration.

I certainly hope he gets his permission soon.