PDA

View Full Version : The law regarding political signs

Thunderbolt
11-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Hi all,
I know this topic has come up for discussion a lot lately. Just found out in my city they have removed nearly every restriction because they are terrified of a lot of new federal cases out there.

The city attorney was kind enough to send the memo with all the case names and summaries of them all in a pdf file. But, I don't know how to post a pdf file.

So, if someone can help me fix this technical problem PM me and I can perhaps send you the file so that you can post it? I think it would instructional and very helpful to us all.

What has happened in my town now is that the city council is saying that all rules are being supplied by the city clerk who says that all rules are supplied by the city council. And, no rules on their website can be relied on anymore.

After I complained about one of my signs "disappearing" city clerk said "that is just what happens. You have to expect it." I wonder how she would feel if her property was just "removed". I paid a lot of money for those signs.

McDermit
11-14-2007, 05:30 PM
We get a similar run around. A few local campaigns went to the police about it, but it never went anywhere.

noxagol
11-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Upset? Become city hall. Get a couple of guys you know from different parts of where you live to all run for office. Then you can go an make all the rules you want for liberty!

Menthol Patch
11-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Quite frankly, unless you have signed a covenant I don't think anyone can stop you from putting signs on your own property. It's your property and you have the right to put whatever you want on them. If someone tries to stop them you should sue them for everything they have.

ppc1040
11-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Courts have allowed political signs on your own property even despite neighborhood ordinances and local laws on 1st Amendment grounds. The leading case is City of Ladue v. Gilleo.

Thunderbolt
11-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Ok, but can anyone help me find a way to get this pdf. up on this forum so all can read it? PM me.