PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul is Winning - Afghanistan War Down to 25% apporval.

No Free Beer
04-01-2012, 09:22 AM
First off, sorry if this has been posted already. I didn't see it.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/30/cnn-poll-afghan-war-support-hits-new-low/

"(CNN) - Support for the war in Afghanistan has fallen to an all-time low with the majority of Americans saying the U.S. should withdraw all of its troops from Afghanistan before the 2014 deadline set by the Obama administration, according to a new poll.

The CNN/ORC International survey released Friday indicated only 25% of Americans favored the war in the Asian country. A majority of Republicans voiced opposition to it, for the first time since the war began in 2001.

Full results (pdf)

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Just 37% of the general public said things are going well for the U.S. in Afghanistan, while only 34% said America is winning the war. The approval likely contributed to the 55% of those surveyed who said the U.S. should remove all of its troops from the country before 2014.

Twenty-two percent expressed support for the 2014 timetable and an additional 22% said the U.S. should keep some troops in Afghanistan beyond 2014.

Leaders at the Pentagon have recently responded to low poll numbers by stressing the importance of fighting the war on the ground.

"We cannot fight wars by polls," Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said on Tuesday. "If we do that we're in deep trouble. We have to operate based on what we believe is the best strategy to achieve the mission that we are embarked on. And the mission here is to safeguard our country by ensuring that the Taliban and al Qaeda never again find a safe haven in Afghanistan."

The poll, conducted for CNN by ORC International, surveyed 1,014 American adults by telephone between March 24 and March 25 with a sampling error of plus or minus three percentage points."

jmdrake
04-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Which is why they need to start beef with Iran as soon as possible. :( I wish Ron Paul would cut a commercial based on this new polling data with the caption "I was right all along".

Phil
04-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Just because people don't like war doesn't mean they're all Ron Paul supporters ;)

nobody's_hero
04-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Just because people don't like war doesn't mean they're all Ron Paul supporters ;)

But maybe if they really, truly, honestly didn't like war, they should be.

It's gonna come down to 1 pro-war democrat and 3 pro-war republicans versus one candidate who is opposed to war. If ending the war is your issue, Ron Paul is your candidate.

phill4paul
04-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Which is why they need to start beef with Iran as soon as possible. :( I wish Ron Paul would cut a commercial based on this new polling data with the caption "I was right all along".

"I've been right for the last 30 years. Current events prove I am as right today as I was then. I'll be right tomorrow."

phill4paul
04-01-2012, 11:10 AM
But maybe if they really, truly, honestly didn't like war, they should be.

It's gonna come down to 1 pro-war democrat and 3 pro-war republicans versus one candidate who is opposed to war. If ending the war is your issue, Ron Paul is your candidate.

^^THIS.

CaptainAmerica
04-01-2012, 11:10 AM
If 25 percent approve, then why are people voting for more war? I somehow don't believe this percentage info.

jmdrake
04-01-2012, 11:34 AM
If 25 percent approve, then why are people voting for more war? I somehow don't believe this percentage info.

First this is a recent stat that came out post Super Tuesday and post Hamid Karzai made it abundantly clear yet again that we have no allies in Afghanistan largely no to our stupid policies. I've heard several mainline conservative talk show host recently push the "Why don't we get the hell out of Afghanistan now" meme. But these same guys are still foaming about "Islamo fascism" and "Iran may nuke Israel". Once again Ron Paul is ahead of the curve. If we go to war with Iran it will take several years before these same people realize that a war with Iran is a mistake just like most of them now realize a war with Iraq was a mistake and endless war in Afghanistan was a mistake. And Ron hasn't helped them feel comfortable with opposing even sanctions on Iran, saying we need friendship with Iran and criticizing the way the Osama Bin Laden raid. Ron's right about all of those things mind you, it's just not "politically correct" to say them.