PDA

View Full Version : Classic Jonah Goldberg comment: "He is an extremist"

Zydeco
11-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Jonah Goldberg at National Review today (emphasis added):

"[Ron Paul] is an extremist after all. Not in the way the left uses the term necessarily, but an extremist nonetheless. All you need to do is look at his positions, compare them to where the two parties and 98% of journalists, intellectuals, academics, bureaucrats, politicians and the like are and it's almost impossible to conclude otherwise."

This is a perfect distillation of the establishment mentality: the journalists, academics, bureaucrats, and politicians don't like Ron Paul's views, and that makes him an "extremist."

Who cares what the other 98% of the population thinks, eh, Jonah? Why even ask them? It couldn't be more clear how rigged the system is against the people by the crooked 2% at the top.

We're coming for you, Jonah -- and we have pitchforks! I'm speaking figuratively, of course :cool:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MjVhYTNhMDdjOTYxMGQyZTRjMGEwMmNmZDNiZjI3MzE=

bbachtung
11-14-2007, 03:45 PM
I think that Jonah might be poking fun at the 98% of the establishment that doesn't think like RP.

RPFTW!
11-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Zionists just LOOOOOOOVE Ron Paul don't they

Thomas Paine
11-14-2007, 03:47 PM
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue!"

Barry Goldwater, 1964 Acceptance Speech at the GOP Convention.

Ron LOL
11-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Dude, it's the National Review. What do you expect?

4Horsemen
11-14-2007, 03:52 PM
He's a Marxist..

kylejack
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue!"

Barry Goldwater, 1964 Acceptance Speech at the GOP Convention.

You beat me to it. When everyone's a fascist, send me an extremist!

Falseflagop
Not to beat a dead horse but all the negative pub for the non-believers comes from ZIONIST/NEOCONS!!

Rush, Medved, This guy Jonah etc

Does not take a rocket sciencist to see this!

weagle
11-14-2007, 03:54 PM
intellectuals

What exactly defines an intellectual?

kylejack
11-14-2007, 03:54 PM

"[Ron Paul] is an extremist after all. Not in the way the left uses the term necessarily, but an extremist nonetheless. All you need to do is look at his positions, compare them to where the two parties and 98% of journalists, intellectuals, academics, bureaucrats, politicians and the like are and it's almost impossible to conclude otherwise."

This is a perfect distillation of the establishment mentality: the journalists, academics, bureaucrats, and politicians don't like Ron Paul's views, and that makes him an "extremist."

Who cares what the other 98% of the population thinks, eh, Jonah? Why even ask them? It couldn't be more clear how rigged the system is against the people by the crooked 2% at the top.

We're coming for you, Jonah -- and we have pitchforks! I'm speaking figuratively, of course :cool:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MjVhYTNhMDdjOTYxMGQyZTRjMGEwMmNmZDNiZjI3MzE=

Did you read the rest of the post? He says there's all different kinds of extremists, good and bad, and that Buckley dealt with this same problem.

Bradley in DC
11-14-2007, 03:55 PM
The Zionist label crap is completely inappropriate here.
:mad:

1000-points-of-fright
11-14-2007, 03:55 PM
There was nothing wrong with that piece. In fact, I viewed it as positive while offering a bit advice.

A lot of people here need to learn the concept of context.

RPFTW!
11-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I'll admit I never actually read it woops!

DrNoZone
11-14-2007, 03:58 PM
There was nothing wrong with that piece. In fact, I viewed it as positive while offering a bit advice.

+1

Ron LOL
11-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Maybe we should all send him e-mails asking him what he thinks is extreme about limited federal government as outlined by the constitution...

Zydeco
11-14-2007, 04:00 PM

I know context, do you know subtext? This wasn't a positive piece in any way -- it was "jump through my hoops, or else" at the end, and the part I quoted was the mask slipping on what politician/media/corporatist elites think of the rest of the country, i.e., they don't.

MicroBalrog
11-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Observe, in politics, that the term extremism has become a synonym of "evil," regardless of the content of the issue (the evil is not what you are extreme about, but that you are "extreme"—i.e., consistent). [Ayn Rand]

kylejack
11-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Maybe we should all send him e-mails asking him what he thinks is extreme about limited federal government as outlined by the constitution...

The fact that the rest of the nation hasn't favored that, for the most part.

Zydeco
11-14-2007, 04:06 PM
The fact that the rest of the nation hasn't favored that, for the most part.

Perhaps, but only because of gradualist 20th century policies, combined with a concerted campaign of media and academic propaganda, that made then think paying 50% of their money in taxes was "normal."

But times are changing, we gots tha intranetz now behotch!!

werdd
11-14-2007, 04:18 PM
I dont listen to anyone with the last name goldberg.

max
11-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Goldbergs mom...Lucianne Goldberg - was the one who initiate the Lewinsky scandal of Bill Clinton. Zionst neo-cons were fuming when Clinton had Arafat over the White House.

Have a look at this....from JJ Goldbergs own mouth!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Power-Inside-American-Establishment/dp/0201327988

kylejack
11-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Perhaps, but only because of gradualist 20th century policies, combined with a concerted campaign of media and academic propaganda, that made then think paying 50% of their money in taxes was "normal."

But times are changing, we gots tha intranetz now behotch!!
As he said, there are good and bad types of extremists.

Zydeco
11-14-2007, 04:29 PM
I dont listen to anyone with the last name goldberg.

Your choice, but IMO a foolish one.

JMann
11-14-2007, 04:30 PM
98% of the population probably can't name the chief justice of the supreme court.

Zydeco
11-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Goldbergs mom...Lucianne Goldberg - was the one who initiate the Lewinsky scandal of Bill Clinton. Zionst neo-cons were fuming when Clinton had Arafat over the White House.

Have a look at this....from JJ Goldbergs own mouth!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Power-Inside-American-Establishment/dp/0201327988

Quit threadjacking me, people. The point here was that Beltway insiders consider someone an extremist if journalists, academics, bureaucrats, and politicians think they are, and to hell with what the other 98% of the country thinks.

If you want to start your own thread to make other points, go ahead -- but don't clutter my thread with it please! :eek:

1000-points-of-fright
11-14-2007, 06:03 PM
I know context, do you know subtext? This wasn't a positive piece in any way -- it was "jump through my hoops, or else" at the end, and the part I quoted was the mask slipping on what politician/media/corporatist elites think of the rest of the country, i.e., they don't.

This piece was more of a slam against the MSM. The author wasn't telling Paul to "jump through my hoops, or else". He was pointing out that the media makes candidates jump through hoops and that if Paul wants to win will occasionally have to jump through hoops as distasteful as it may be. He just has to figure out which hoops are important and which can be blown off.

fj45lvr
11-14-2007, 07:30 PM

you're crazy dude. Don't fall for the idea that calling people out on their political philosophy is inappropriate. The most significant common thread of the likes of medved, pat robertson, perlman, wolfowitz, etc. and etc. is foreign policy of sustaining the "zionist entity" in palestine. What is inappropriate about the truth???

Mark Rushmore
11-14-2007, 07:33 PM
What is inappropriate about the truth???

You're at least seven years behind on your cultural-software updates. Please report to the nearest ministry office immediately.

chrismatthews
11-14-2007, 08:03 PM

I sent this email in response, but not to Goldberg.

Goldberg states:

"All you need to do is look at his positions, compare them to where
the two parties and 98% of journalists, intellectuals, academics,
bureaucrats, politicians and the like are and it's almost impossible
to conclude otherwise."

So now that you have a decent collection of lead party officials and
the fourth column, perhaps you should consider the remainder.

What ideology do doctors, lawyers, teachers, mechanics, plumbers,
carpenters, and computer programmers subscribe to? Why not just
summarize the entirety of the states and cartoonize their beliefs as
well?

Without rehashing the follies of polling as a lagging indicator,
especially the election cycle following an incumbent presidency, Paul
polls nationally at 5%. Shouldn't it at least be "95% of journalists,
intellectuals, academics, etc.."?, and last i checked journalists got
exactly the same number of votes as plumbers.

Chris Matthews

chrismatthews
11-14-2007, 08:06 PM

I have pretty thick skin, so I wasn't offended or anything, but it does show a pretty elitist point of view.(If the intellectuals think so, then who are you to disagree?)

He's naming off his list of people who matter. Wrongly i might add.

Dustancostine
11-14-2007, 08:12 PM

From Wikipedia:

Goldberg was a supporter of the Iraq War and has advocated for American military intervention elsewhere in the world. He has defended historical colonialism in places such as Africa as more beneficial than it is generally given credit for; in one column, he suggested that U.S. imperialism on the continent could help solve its persistent problems

I am not sure if he is a Zionist or not, but he is Jewish and believes that colonization is a good thing. He is a neocon for sure.

--Dustan

me3
11-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Bad reporting?

kylejack
11-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Bad reporting?

Bad in what way?

Flirple
11-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Not to beat a dead horse but all the negative pub for the non-believers comes from ZIONIST/NEOCONS!!

Rush, Medved, This guy Jonah etc

Does not take a rocket sciencist to see this!

Maybe if words like "zionist" didn't pop up constantly (in all caps) on these boards people like Medved would have a harder time smearing us.

fj45lvr
11-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Maybe if words like "zionist" didn't pop up constantly (in all caps) on these boards people like Medved would have a harder time smearing us.

What??? people act as if the term is some kind of dirty word and taboo. It is only a historical fact of a politcal movement that does have supporters that were fine and dandy of taking for themselves a place to establish a state (regardless that it required stealing, killing and destroying)... this is why it is the "dirty" little secret that people would rather sweep under the rug and pretend that it doesn't exist like the classical alcoholic family. These "apologists" have to smear the truth because the "TRUTH HURTS". It's alot harder to prop up your image of being the victim if something as annoying as FACTS get in the way!!!!!