PDA

View Full Version : Serious question: Can the MSM choose not to air an ad b/c it's critical of the MSM?

economics102
03-31-2012, 04:00 PM
If someone were to try to air a political ad attacking, say, CNN, on CNN -- provided there's nothing inaccurate in the ad, can CNN choose not to air it?

PS: I know in our perfect libertarian world the answer would be "yes." I'm curious what the answer is in real life, this year, though.

jdcole
03-31-2012, 04:24 PM
They can air whatever they please, as long as it follows FCC guidelines.

And yes, they can flat out deny airing something if they so choose.

rb3b3
03-31-2012, 04:25 PM
How great would that be!!!! I would love seeing ads on tv attacking the main stream media!!!! Hahaha that would be awesome!!

DanConway
03-31-2012, 04:33 PM
They are private businesses. They can do whatever they damn well please.

Lishy
03-31-2012, 05:29 PM
They can air whatever they please, as long as it follows FCC guidelines.

MyCleanPC and MaxMySpeed follow FCC guidelines? Last I checked they were to "scan" your computer for problems, but in reality infect you with viruses...

Quibids is also a ridiculous scam they've been airing...

The Northbreather
03-31-2012, 06:31 PM
We need a class action lawsuit declaring that they are false advertising as actual press members and news providers. Editorializing and political cheer-leading is not news. It needs to be redefined.

bbartlog
03-31-2012, 07:58 PM
They can decline to air ads for all sorts of reasons. Greenpeace tried to air an anti-car ad quite some time back ("Carasaurus"). No majors would take it; too much ad revenue from car makers. On the other side of the political spectrum, the NRA has had ads they couldn't place on major networks because they were considered too politically controversial.

PolicyReader
03-31-2012, 08:00 PM
If someone were to try to air a political ad attacking, say, CNN, on CNN -- provided there's nothing inaccurate in the ad, can CNN choose not to air it?

PS: I know in our perfect libertarian world the answer would be "yes." I'm curious what the answer is in real life, this year, though.

Legally at this point if it's related to a campaign the answer is "no" they cannot. However outside of election season (and I'm not sure if this extends beyond presidential) they can more or less do as they please. For detailed answers check the FCC regs.

KingNothing
03-31-2012, 08:54 PM
They can decline to air ads for all sorts of reasons. Greenpeace tried to air an anti-car ad quite some time back ("Carasaurus"). No majors would take it; too much ad revenue from car makers. On the other side of the political spectrum, the NRA has had ads they couldn't place on major networks because they were considered too politically controversial.

MyCleanPC and MaxMySpeed follow FCC guidelines? Last I checked they were to "scan" your computer for problems, but in reality infect you with viruses...

Quibids is also a ridiculous scam they've been airing...

The creator of Quibids is an evil genius. Its the famous Dollar Auction on a grand scale. Viiiicious.

I can't imagine that mainstream networks would do anything that is a blatant violation of FCC regulations though. They probably run everything by teams of lawyers to make sure they can't be sued or fined.

kathy88
03-31-2012, 08:59 PM
We need a class action lawsuit declaring that they are false advertising as actual press members and news providers. Editorializing and political cheer-leading is not news. It needs to be redefined.

So what does that make Reality TV? LOL