PDA

View Full Version : Climate-change scepticism must be 'treated', says enviro-sociologist

Agorism
03-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Climate-change scepticism must be 'treated', says enviro-sociologist

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/30/climate_scepticism_racism_slavery_treatment/

Scepticism regarding the need for immediate and massive action against carbon emissions is a sickness of societies and individuals which needs to be "treated", according to an Oregon-based professor of "sociology and environmental studies". Professor Kari Norgaard compares the struggle against climate scepticism to that against racism and slavery in the US South.

Prof Norgaard holds a B.S. in biology and a master's and PhD in sociology.

"Over the past ten years I have published and taught in the areas of environmental sociology, gender and environment, race and environment, climate change, sociology of culture, social movements and sociology of emotions," she says.

The good prof is in London at the moment for the "Planet Under Pressure" conference, where she presented a paper on Wednesday dealing with how best to do away with the evil of scepticism and get the human race to focus all its efforts on saving the planet.

According to an Oregon uni statement announcing the paper:

Resistance at individual and societal levels must be recognized and treated ...

"This kind of cultural resistance to very significant social threat is something that we would expect in any society facing a massive threat," [Norgaard] said.

The discussion, she said, is comparable to what happened with challenges to racism or slavery in the U.S. South.

Professor Norgaard considers that fuzzy-studies academics such as herself must stand shoulder to shoulder with the actual real climate scientists who know some maths in an effort to change society and individuals for their own good. It's not a new idea: trick-cyclists in Blighty and the US have lately called for a "science of communicating science" rather reminiscent of Isaac Asimov's science-fictional "Psychohistory" discipline, able to predict and alter the behaviour of large populations*.

At least some climate physicists and such might reasonably consider this to be just the sort of help they really don't need in convincing ordinary folk that their recommendations ought to be taken seriously. ®

coastie
03-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Resistance at individual and societal levels must be recognized and treated ...

"This kind of cultural resistance to very significant social threat is something that we would expect in any society facing a massive threat," [Norgaard] said.

The discussion, she said, is comparable to what happened with challenges to racism or slavery in the U.S. South.

Oh, you mean like, when the dirty south just wouldn't listen and those of your stature decided it would be better that over 600,000 people died to "treat" their disease? You mean like that, Professor?

Why does society allow these people to teach?

libertyjam
03-30-2012, 09:21 PM
What a fucking bitch.

PierzStyx
03-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Sounds like the man holds a b.s. in more than just biology. Though I suppose bullsh*t is biological.....

libertyjam
03-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Sounds like the man holds a b.s. in more than just biology. Though I suppose bullsh*t is biological.....

Read it again, the man is a woman, not that it matters much.

NewRightLibertarian
03-30-2012, 09:47 PM
They're going to do anything within their power to establish their scientific dictatorship. If you don't believe that we need to give them more power to heal the weather, you'll be medicated or jailed.

Danke
03-30-2012, 09:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfnddMpzPsM

The Free Hornet
03-30-2012, 10:02 PM
But what is climate-change scepticism?

Am I ...

A) Sceptical that humans have an impact on the environment? Not really.

B) Sceptical that this impact can manifest in some type and degree - however small - of climate change? Not really.

C) Sceptical that this impact will be - on net - negative? It seems possible but I haven't seen the scientific arbitrary-values-dependent graph of "Good Stuff Vs. CO2". Science is about facts and data, not public policy. That climate scientists deny this is beyond me. Lots of people think they have what it takes to rule the world. The historical evidence suggests that - when given power - authoritarians are murderous, genocidal maniacs.

D) Sceptical that CO2 should be classified as a pollutant by unelected regulators? Hell yes!

E) Sceptical that the US government can unilaterally reduce planetary CO2 output? Of course. Our overseas meddling is a prime contributor to CO2 emmissions. This is on many, many levels including making people dependent on the supply of oil, the amount used by our tanks, planes, missles, soldiers, boats, and all the amounts used by those who built our military toys. Just as the progressive-neocon alliance has no coherent scheme to reduce spending, they have no coherent scheme to reduce planetary CO2 output. Science says if you are not reducing planetary output, your efforts don't matter. I.e., you can't build something in India instead of the US and claim a reduction. You have to do something like turn off a light or make a process more efficient or stop giving out food stamps.

F) Sceptical that the UN can reduce planetary CO2 output? Yes. See E.

G) Sceptical that the bleeding-heart progressives who want to feed (CO2), house (CO2), educate (CO2), medicate (CO2), and entertain (CO2) the world's 7 billion people (CO2) at taxpayer expense (CO2) have the first clue about making anything more efficient? Yeah, I got that too.

How is it that environmentalists that want people dead overlap with bleeding hearts that want people fed? I guess that is why they like birth control so much. They don't want anyone, themselves included, to make tough choices.