PDA

View Full Version : Paul, Gingrich, Santorum Accept Texas GOP Debate Invite

tsai3904
03-30-2012, 04:37 PM
http://www.texasgop.org/posts/253-gingrich-paul-santorum-accept-texas-gop-debate-invite

sailingaway
03-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Excellent!

Open primary!

PaulSoHard
03-30-2012, 04:53 PM
yesssssssssss!!!!

It's going to be good if Romney doesn't take part in this debate. Hopefully by doing so his numbers drop significantly and between these 3, we all know who's going to dominate the debate.

PaulSoHard
dup post

PolicyReader
I am pleased by this on multiple levels :)

kathy88
03-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Would Romney dare decline?

skytoucher
03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Think about how strong Ron Paul is when there's only 3 other people on the stage. He's even better when it's just him and 2 others. Gingrich and Santorum better pray that Romney shows up...

sailingaway
03-30-2012, 05:05 PM

It doesn't matter if he does or doesn't... Romney has the squish vote locked up.

kathy88
03-30-2012, 05:13 PM
LOL @ squish vote :) :)

Gray Fullbuster
03-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Estimated date?

BamaAla
03-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Estimated date?

"Tentative dates and locations have been discussed with the three candidates who have already accepted. The Republican Party of Texas has suggested a date and location to the three candidates, but will hold off on naming a final date and location until we hear from Governor Romney and get feedback from all the candidates."

Looks like they're probably waiting on Mitt.

sailingaway
03-30-2012, 05:30 PM
"Tentative dates and locations have been discussed with the three candidates who have already accepted. The Republican Party of Texas has suggested a date and location to the three candidates, but will hold off on naming a final date and location until we hear from Governor Romney and get feedback from all the candidates."

Looks like they're probably waiting on Mitt.

they want to give him a chance to have input and not just be able to say 'that day doesn't work'.

skytoucher
03-30-2012, 05:31 PM

No way in the world will he decline. He can't risk allowing people see Paul destroy Gingrich/Santorum. He has to be there to dilute Paul's speaking time.

Jingles
03-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Squishy squashy? Vote for Romney.

tsai3904
03-30-2012, 05:34 PM
If Romney declines, there might not be a debate.

Today, I am happy to report that I have a commitment of a major television outlet to televise such a debate, if all the candidates show up.

sailingaway
03-30-2012, 05:35 PM
If Romney declines, there might not be a debate.

that would mean they are in the tank for Romney, imho. Because people still want an ALTERNATIVE.

idiom
03-30-2012, 05:51 PM
If this happens, this may be RP's last speaking platform on a national stage.

In that case he needs to let himself out of his cage. Let them know that a war with Iran will come straight out of medicare/social security. That Romney and Santorum don't have a principal between them.

That the President could balance the budger in one stroke by vetoing any deficit increases.

We all know RP has balls of steel, but America doesn't yet.

sailingaway
03-30-2012, 05:59 PM
I think those are all good things except the 'not a principle between them' because that is just slinging insults, and can't be demonstrated on a single debate. But I'm confident Ron will speak at the RNC. At least, I'd be surprised and disappointed if he didn't end up with the plurality of delegates in 5 states to AS A MATTER OF RIGHT be nominated from the floor and speak in support of his candidacy.

alucard13mmfmj
03-30-2012, 06:06 PM
I hope Ron has not gone rusty from 1-2 months without debating. He was really on a roll in the last 2 debates. I am still dissapointed that even after Ron destroyed Santorum... Santorum is still polling high.

He needs to go after Romney and/or Obama. To dispell this stupid alliance conspiracy and to appeal to people who don't like Romney or Obama.

sailingaway
03-30-2012, 06:09 PM
I hope Ron has not gone rusty from 1-2 months without debating. He was really on a roll in the last 2 debates. I am still dissapointed that even after Ron destroyed Santorum... Santorum is still polling high.

He needs to go after Romney and/or Obama. To dispell this stupid alliance conspiracy and to appeal to people who don't like Romney or Obama.

That is a point. He needs debate prep. He has slid back to the 'message stump speech' going to colleges and needs to be reminded to spell out his Plan to Restore America, and that it preserves Social Security, to the new round of voters who only half way paid attention before, because they thought the contest would be over before they got a chance to vote.

Carlybee
03-30-2012, 06:15 PM
I thought he held his own with Piers Morgan...he'll be fine.

alucard13mmfmj
03-30-2012, 06:16 PM
For the campaign's sake and our sake... I hope he gets debate prep/advice and repackage his message into something simple and easy to relate to. @_@ Most people don't care or don't know wtf is liquidation, Mises, business cycles, and etc etc mean. A lot of voters don't have internet access to check, which is why we have a hard time changing the minds of a lot of the older voters (since they get info from TV instead of internet)

EBounding
03-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Wow, they actually have a honest table of delegates at the bottom (they note the hundreds of unbound delegates).

sailingaway
03-30-2012, 06:21 PM
I thought he held his own with Piers Morgan...he'll be fine.

I don't think he won't 'be fine' I just want him to maximize the opportunity. He really needs to reintroduce his WHOLE plan, not just 'cut a trillion the first year' which half the voters find terrifying without explanation.

sailingaway
03-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Wow, they actually have a honest table of delegates at the bottom (they note the hundreds of unbound delegates).

I think it finally sunk in to everyone who wants someone other than Romney, and also media/Dems who simply want the entertainment to continue, that they have to MENTION that the race is still open.

nf7mate
03-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Munisteri is Ron Paul friendly. This will be a fair debate.

sailingaway
03-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Munisteri is Ron Paul friendly. This will be a fair debate.

excellent!

skytoucher
03-30-2012, 06:27 PM
That is a point. He needs debate prep. He has slid back to the 'message stump speech' going to colleges and needs to be reminded to spell out his Plan to Restore America, and that it preserves Social Security, to the new round of voters who only half way paid attention before, because they thought the contest would be over before they got a chance to vote.

He doesn't need debate prep. He's at his best when his ideals are challenged and he has time to speak. Look at his old videos where he destroys people. Look at the Piers interview where Piers tried to step in the ring with Ron.

Ron's stump speeches are decent
In a 5+ person debate he's good
4 person debate he's strong
1v1 or 2v1 is the best Ron Paul you'll ever see. He doesn't need prep in this scenario.

03-30-2012, 06:30 PM

Sure, it's in his best interest to decline. MSM is close to proclaiming him the defacto nominee. The last thing he would want would be a gaffe in a debate right before TX and CA. Sad to say but the ball is in his court right now. Declining might keep it off TV.

Hopefully Benton, Tate and crew have a way to put pressure on Romney to accept.

If MSM starts reporting on actual delegates totals as the states hold conventions and Ron is actually 2nd as we hope, a good debate before CA and TX maybe, just maybe might get something going.

idiom
03-30-2012, 06:30 PM
I think those are all good things except the 'not a principle between them' because that is just slinging insults, and can't be demonstrated on a single debate. But I'm confident Ron will speak at the RNC. At least, I'd be surprised and disappointed if he didn't end up with the plurality of delegates in 5 states to AS A MATTER OF RIGHT be nominated from the floor and speak in support of his candidacy.

I think it would be worth it if he called them out on national TV and said something to the effect of, "Just like our current President you simply can't trust them to govern like they campaign. Exhibit a: Open Mic with Russia. Exhibit B, Etch-a-sketch. Exhibit C, a certain someones senatorial record."

Just rip the guts out of the Message of the day.

sailingaway
03-30-2012, 06:35 PM
I think it would be worth it if he called them out on national TV and said something to the effect of, "Just like our current President you simply can't trust them to govern like they campaign. Exhibit a: Open Mic with Russia. Exhibit B, Etch-a-sketch. Exhibit C, a certain someones senatorial record."

Just rip the guts out of the Message of the day.

I don't have a problem with him calling them out, I just would rather he discuss specifics. I think red meat stuff, etch a sketch stuff, doesn't change minds. Santorum getting more lobbyist money than anyone in Congress his last year, might.

ClydeCoulter
03-30-2012, 06:43 PM
I sure hope this happens, another debate will show everyone that Ron Paul is not only still in the race, but the best choice, really the only choice!

alucard13mmfmj
03-30-2012, 06:46 PM
If Romney is afraid to debate Ron, Santorum, and Gingrich... how can he debate Obama? am i right or am i right? lolzzzzz

03-30-2012, 06:58 PM
If Romney is afraid to debate Ron, Santorum, and Gingrich... how can he debate Obama? am i right or am i right? lolzzzzz

Sure that could be an effective strategy to get him to the debate.

twomp
03-30-2012, 07:07 PM
I HOPE Dr. Paul brings NDAA and hammers it over and over. Someone needs to shed some light on this stomping of our civil rights. I really, really,really hope he brings this up over and over.

sailingaway
03-30-2012, 07:09 PM
I HOPE Dr. Paul brings NDAA and hammers it over and over. Someone needs to shed some light on this stomping of our civil rights. I really, really,really hope he brings this up over and over.

I so agree.

Particularly since it is an open primary. And he NEEDS to say cutting his trillion DOESN'T cut social security...

His budget plan is so much more people friendly and so much more effective at the same time, than Ryan's plan....

I think it would be telling where people's priorities are.

kathy88
03-30-2012, 07:23 PM
I wish Paul would, in the debate format, get an opportunity to mention the fact that he gets NO media coverage, and pique people's curiosity as to why. That's how a LOT of RP supporters I know jumped aboard.

EBounding
03-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Debate Wish list:

- Talk about cutting $1 Trillion and lowering taxes without cutting Social Security and how that will create jobs (nix the business cycle, liquidating the debt, etc)

- Mention that over 350 delegates are unbound and he believes his campaign has organized the most to gain the majority of them thus putting him in second place. Also mention he's the only candidate besides Romney on the ballot everywhere.

- Describe his National Defense Strategy (what he would do instead of what he wouldn't do: ie occupation, undeclared wars, etc.)

- Mention his strength with Independents and competitiveness with Obama and how the others aren't.

- Give specific examples of the TSA violating our privacy and how it all ties into things like the Patriot Act and the NDAA

- Finally give his positive vision of an America restored with Liberty and contrast it with everyone else.

I can dream :)

alucard13mmfmj
03-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Debate Wish list:

- Talk about cutting $1 Trillion and lowering taxes without cutting Social Security and how that will create jobs (nix the business cycle, liquidating the debt, etc)

- Mention that over 350 delegates are unbound and he believes his campaign has organized the most to gain the majority of them thus putting him in second place. Also mention he's the only candidate besides Romney on the ballot everywhere.

- Describe his National Defense Strategy (what he would do instead of what he wouldn't do: ie occupation, undeclared wars, etc.)

- Mention his strength with Independents and competitiveness with Obama and how the others aren't.

- Give specific examples of the TSA violating our privacy and how it all ties into things like the Patriot Act and the NDAA

- Finally give his positive vision of an America restored with Liberty and contrast it with everyone else.

yep.

sailingaway
03-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Debate Wish list:

I think that is a great list.

fr33
03-30-2012, 07:35 PM
^^ I agree with that list too but I'd add, find a way to attack Romney on his record this time. If <1144 is the goal, Romney must be stopped.

EBounding
03-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I think now is the time to end the "gentlemen's agreement".

kathy88
03-30-2012, 07:47 PM
I think if Romney declines it could really blow up on him. He doesn't have enough GOP base to be pulling the "I'm already your candidate" card without ruffling some feathers. Those Santorum supporters are CRAZY. ;)

sailingaway
03-30-2012, 07:48 PM
I think if Romney declines it could really blow up on him. He doesn't have enough GOP base to be pulling the "I'm already your candidate" card without ruffling some feathers. Those Santorum supporters are CRAZY. ;)

He most assuredly doesn't with the general public in Texas. The party machine is extremely well disciplined, however, and Perry endorsed Grinch who seems to be Romney's poodle at this point.

sailingaway
03-30-2012, 07:51 PM

there never was one, Ron is just a gentleman and has to have reason to PERSONALLY be against someone. I am sure that Santa and Grinch gave him plenty of reason when they worked together in Congress, given that Ron WAS everything they are PRETENDING to be, and had to fight them every step of the way. It was the conservatives in Congress who forced Grinch out, remember, and no Congressman since they've started keeping records has been more Conservative than Ron.

kathy88
03-30-2012, 07:54 PM
there never was one, Ron is just a gentleman and has to have reason to PERSONALLY be against someone. I am sure that Santa and Grinch gave him plenty of reason when they worked together in Congress, given that Ron WAS everything they are PRETENDING to be, and had to fight them every step of the way. It was the conservatives in Congress who forced Grinch out, remember, and no Congressman since they've started keeping records has been more Conservative than Ron.

We all know that, but the average voter doesn't. So it's time to END the narrative. Forever. Gloves off. RP 1 Mittens 0.

digitaldean
03-30-2012, 07:56 PM

Paul called him a modified Democrat on an interview but the news didn't pick that up. Also I want Mitt to not show up on this debate. Right now Mitt is trying to talk about Obama so for him going back to this is an insult. Remember this is the guy who thought he won before Florida even voted. Lets hope Newt does very good and takes a lot of Santorums votes away and Paul pulls out a TX win by 26%-28%.

Muttley
03-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Debate Wish list:

Send this to Doug Wead!

PaulSoHard
03-30-2012, 08:27 PM
^ Agreed. There's still a LOT of time between now and the debate and I'm sure Wead will be available for another FB chat.

Hopefully by then it's not too late.

LostNFoundNTx
03-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Each county is holding its county or senatorial district convention(s) on April 14 or 21. Delegates to the state convention (from which the national delegates are selected) will be known 5-6 weeks before the primary even gets here.

sailingaway
03-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Each county is holding its county or senatorial district convention(s) on April 14 or 21. Delegates to the state convention (from which the national delegates are selected) will be known 5-6 weeks before the primary even gets here.

I have to tell my Dad. He's currently in Ron's district but I have no idea which sliced up bit he's in.....

rb3b3
03-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Can someone please tell me why newt is still in thE race? I think it's good for us that he is in, but I don't understand why he is?? Someone shed some light on this?

crh88
03-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Can someone please tell me why newt is still in thE race? I think it's good for us that he is in, but I don't understand why he is?? Someone shed some light on this?

Most likely to barter his delegates for a position in the winners cabinet (or VP if he's that delusional). Or he could be planning another run for POTUS in the future and he's just trying to build a stronger base. Or he may just love the spotlight. :P

KMX
03-30-2012, 09:14 PM
I bet the media won't even show.

fr33
03-30-2012, 09:17 PM
If Perry was still in the race you can bet the Texas GOP wouldn't have made this offer. Perry doesn't debate in his home state :rolleyes:

DanConway
03-30-2012, 09:48 PM
I guess Romney's trying to pretend he's already won by acting like showing up to a debate is beneath him.

sailingaway
03-30-2012, 10:11 PM
The only reason they are waiting for Romney is some unnamed network said they'd televise it IF all came. But I think it's PBS's turn and they ask better questions.....if the unnamed network thinks only the Anti Romneys, who between them take a majority of the GOP vote aren't enough to televise.

twofootzero
03-30-2012, 10:53 PM
The only reason they are waiting for Romney is some unnamed network said they'd televise it IF all came. But I think it's PBS's turn and they ask better questions.....if the unnamed network thinks only the Anti Romneys, who between them take a majority of the GOP vote aren't enough to televise.

They also had this line in their press release:

There is a significant chance that they will televise the debate even if we are lacking only one candidate.

So it might go ahead with or without Romney

Britannia
03-30-2012, 11:24 PM
He doesn't need debate prep. He's at his best when his ideals are challenged and he has time to speak. Look at his old videos where he destroys people. Look at the Piers interview where Piers tried to step in the ring with Ron.

Ron's stump speeches are decent
In a 5+ person debate he's good
4 person debate he's strong
1v1 or 2v1 is the best Ron Paul you'll ever see. He doesn't need prep in this scenario.

That's because Dr. Paul believes in his message. I'm not sure any of the others have a message, let alone one they actually believe in.

Britannia
03-30-2012, 11:27 PM
I wish Paul would, in the debate format, get an opportunity to mention the fact that he gets NO media coverage, and pique people's curiosity as to why. That's how a LOT of RP supporters I know jumped aboard.

That's how he got me :)

Suzu
03-30-2012, 11:42 PM
...the President could balance the budger in one stroke...
If the budger is a cousin to the badger, the president could get his hand bitten by stroking it.

J_White
03-31-2012, 12:56 AM
we can only gain from this.
But Dr.Paul needs to show the glimpses of his 1980s self here !!
he should come out all guns blazing, specially on his foreign policy which has been twisted by the MSM.

PolicyReader
03-31-2012, 01:19 AM
we can only gain from this.
But Dr.Paul needs to show the glimpses of his 1980s self here !!
he should come out all guns blazing, specially on his foreign policy which has been twisted by the MSM.

Foreign policy and all the reasons why an Obamney Presidency would be a ruin for our country.
I know it's not his style to go after someone directly without provocation, but it would really help us tactically for the general and the primaries to deeply imprint the sameness that is Romney/Obama.

truthspeaker
03-31-2012, 07:49 AM
http://www.texasgop.org/posts/253-gingrich-paul-santorum-accept-texas-gop-debate-invite

Sounds like they're really hoping Romney will speak to have it. I say, if Romney doesn't respect Texas, they should go through with it anyways. Don't mess with Texas.

The following is a quote from the Texas Chair:

<<Munisteri continued, "Today, I am happy to report that I have a commitment of a major television outlet to televise such a debate, if all the candidates show up. There is a significant chance that they will televise the debate even if we are lacking only one candidate. We already have commitments from former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, Texas Congressman Ron Paul and Senator Rick Santorum to participate in such a debate. Both my staff and myself have reached out to the campaign of Governor Mitt Romney and have been told that they are considering attending the debate.">>

Further down:

<<Jesse Benton, national campaign chairman for Congressman Ron Paul, issued the following statement on behalf of the Paul campaign. "This year's Presidential election is critically important, and Texas deserves to have a fair say. Dr. Paul is committed to the Texas GOP debate and hopes his fellow candidates will join him and show our state the proper respect.">>

Even further down (I love this part)

Chairman Munisteri also commented on the current Presidential race, noting: "In looking at the delegate math - this race is far from over. There is a wide discrepancy between what the Republican National Committee reports as the count of bound, committed delegates, and the count reported by the national press. The RNC official delegate count indicates that no candidate has achieved 50% of the delegates chosen to date, let alone 50% of the total number of overall delegates. I view it as next to impossible for any candidate to wrap up 50% of the committed delegates necessary for a first-ballot nomination before the May 29th Texas Primary."

"I believe the media's delegates counts are inaccurate for multiple reasons," Munisteri continued. "First, they assign delegates from caucus states to candidates despite the fact that those caucus processes are not complete. Many of the early states such as Iowa, Minnesota and Missouri did not pick delegates during the first round of their process, yet the media counts have assigned delegates to candidates in such states despite the fact that the ultimate delegate selection may not correlate with the first round of voting. The media counts also include delegates which are not bound under law or party rules, who may change their mind before the convention. I might point out that before the 1976 convention, a significant number of unbound delegates switched sides before the final convention floor vote. The second point I would make is that the media outlets are fond of coming up with percentages of remaining delegates that various candidates need to obtain a first-ballot nomination, so as to make it appear the race is all but over. This is done without noting the fact that if no candidate receives 50% of the first ballot - then all bets are off. In many states, any delegate can vote for whomever they wish on the second ballot."

Munisteri concluded, "Finally, I would point out that Texas and California account together for 327 delegates - a number which represents approximately 28% of the delegates a candidate needs to secure the nomination. Make no mistake - this race is far from over. Candidates who ignore Texas, and specifically insult our state by not accepting the invitation to our nationally-televised debate, do so at their peril.">>

Now...one last wrinkle in all of this...Texas is choosing her delegates BEFORE the May 29th primaries (which is a postponed date due to the legal redistricting debacle of +4 new Representative seats).
As I asked a Houston GOPer "So, it's like a caucus this year?" She answered, "Yeah, I guess so." I was told to go two hours early and bring something to eat to mine. Apparently my Senate District Convention will hold two or more Senate District Conventions at the SAME location. It will be a first-come, first-served mess. :toady:

eduardo89
03-31-2012, 07:53 AM
Didn't Romney say no more debates? It'd be great if he said no!

I hope Ron hits it out of the park. He's got a couple weeks to prepare.

truthspeaker
03-31-2012, 08:11 AM
I have to tell my Dad. He's currently in Ron's district but I have no idea which sliced up bit he's in.....

Watch out--his district convention may be along with Harris County's. (Yeah, I know). Some of RP's territory is being hashed into this mulch-sentitorial district convention.

VBRonPaulFan
03-31-2012, 08:12 AM
Didn't Romney say no more debates? It'd be great if he said no!

I hope Ron hits it out of the park. He's got a couple weeks to prepare.

i could definitely see romney turning it down. it isn't in his best interest anymore to risk saying something stupid in a debate since he has the perception of being a frontrunner.

kathy88
03-31-2012, 08:23 AM
Munisteri concluded, "Finally, I would point out that Texas and California account together for 327 delegates - a number which represents approximately 28% of the delegates a candidate needs to secure the nomination. Make no mistake - this race is far from over. Candidates who ignore Texas, and specifically insult our state by not accepting the invitation to our nationally-televised debate, do so at their peril.">>

I think I have a little crush on this man...

spudea
03-31-2012, 08:31 AM
this is awesome! I'm going to this!

roc_rob
03-31-2012, 08:47 AM
I hope Paul's performance is able to help keep Romney under 1,144.

satchelmcqueen
03-31-2012, 09:24 AM
im kinda sad here. this could be the last time ron speaks on national tv. i hope he lets it all out. he needs to just go off on them.

satchelmcqueen
03-31-2012, 09:31 AM
funny how romney has said very very little in this whole process. i cant name one thing that stands out in my mind that hes actually for. he has done all of this on silence. very cowardly to not debate i say.

KingNothing
03-31-2012, 09:39 AM
They're putting Romney in a position of weakness. I imagine that both Newt and Santorum will start lobbing bombs at Mitty, saying that he's afraid to debate, saying that he's ashamed of his record and knows that he can't defend it, etc. Then, if Mitt does join the debate, it will be because he was forced into it which will also appear weak.

Because of that, I'm sure his minions are working tirelessly to see that this debate never comes to pass.

CaptainAmerica
03-31-2012, 09:42 AM
How is Ron Paul doing in Texas as of now?

KingNothing
03-31-2012, 09:43 AM
funny how romney has said very very little in this whole process. i cant name one thing that stands out in my mind that hes actually for. he has done all of this on silence. very cowardly to not debate i say.

His campaign took a calculated risk from the beginning. They decided to present a tone of inevitability with his candidacy. They've constantly told the media that their guy will win. They've had their mouthpieces in the media repeat it over and over again. They've planned events with that in mind. The crux of Romney's campaign isn't ideas, or emotion, or a motivated voting base -- it's always been inevitability. From their perspective, the narrative they want to convey is "why debate? We have this in the bag already." And at this point, that is the good position for them to take. Mitt does not stand to gain from more exposure.

That said, I imagine that the other candidates will do everything they can to force him into the debate and I think they'll be successful in that effort.

sailingaway
03-31-2012, 10:18 AM
im kinda sad here. this could be the last time ron speaks on national tv. i hope he lets it all out. he needs to just go off on them.

I couldn't disagree with you more. The instant he is 'safely retired' he will be called on regularly to discuss the bits a particular faction wants discussed. Remember how AFTER the 2008 election he was on Fox so much?

Ivash
03-31-2012, 12:01 PM
No way in the world will he decline. He can't risk allowing people see Paul destroy Gingrich/Santorum. He has to be there to dilute Paul's speaking time.

Wha? Romney's camp doesn't see Dr. Paul as a threat. They are afraid of Santorum keeping enough delegates away from Romney to have a brokered convention. They also don't really care about Gingrich.

gorgonzola
03-31-2012, 12:19 PM
The way I see it Romney is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

NICE!!!

Suzu
03-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Romney's camp doesn't see Dr. Paul as a threat.I think you're mistaken there, Ivash.... I think he knows about the real delegate count (how could he not?) and he also knows that if he doesn't agree to show up, the debate may not happen, and if it doesn't happen, Paul gets no TV time from it. Every televised debate lately gives Paul a boost.

carterm
03-31-2012, 01:32 PM
I think you're mistaken there, Ivash.... I think he knows about the real delegate count (how could he not?) and he also knows that if he doesn't agree to show up, the debate may not happen, and if it doesn't happen, Paul gets no TV time from it. Every televised debate lately gives Paul a boost.

"the real delegate count." what does that even mean. we were supposed to win ND, doesn't look like its going to happen. there is no real delegate count.

sailingaway
03-31-2012, 01:37 PM
"the real delegate count." what does that even mean. we were supposed to win ND, doesn't look like its going to happen. there is no real delegate count.

Each of the states Ron is doing best in are OPTIONS. We don't know until we win until state convention when it all comes together. But there are a bunch of them. ND wasn't the one I most thought we would win, after the way the vote went, but it was one we could win. If Santa has a bunch of people who stayed the course, he may get the win there just because he won the preference poll and sometimes that influences discussions but it sounds like we may still come away with a lot more delegates than the AP was giving Ron there. Or may not, because they are still counting ballots. But that would still be a different delegate count than the AP has because they gave the most to SANTORUM and if Romney gets them that is 'real'. Things are in flux still.

Ivash
03-31-2012, 01:56 PM
I think you're mistaken there, Ivash.... I think he knows about the real delegate count (how could he not?) and he also knows that if he doesn't agree to show up, the debate may not happen, and if it doesn't happen, Paul gets no TV time from it. Every televised debate lately gives Paul a boost.

I have a lot of friends within Romney's campaign, and the delegate count they are using is similar to the one the nation media has. If they can knock out Santorum, the race is over. Thus, Santorum is the only one that can stop them, and he is the only one they fear.

I even aired the idea of Ron Paul being a threat to their campaign, and one of my friends in Romney's camp chuckled a bit. They really do not see Dr. Paul as any sort of threat.

sailingaway
03-31-2012, 01:58 PM
I have a lot of friends within Romney's campaign, and the delegate count they are using is similar to the one the nation media has. If they can knock out Santorum, the race is over. Thus, Santorum is the only one that can stop them, and he is the only one they fear.

I even aired the idea of Ron Paul being a threat to their campaign, and one of my friends in Romney's camp chuckled a bit. They really do not see Dr. Paul as any sort of threat.

excellent.

alucard13mmfmj
03-31-2012, 02:00 PM

So at least we fly under his radar.

PolicyReader
03-31-2012, 03:09 PM

The higher up that's true the better, but I'll take what I can get with that regard either way, even just voters on the ground still = :D

carterm
04-02-2012, 10:03 PM
bump. i want news. hahah

TheTexan
04-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Where do I buy tickets? I want to to be one of those people in the crowd making loud cheers for RP forcing the station's sound engineers to mute me out. Hopefully I can find a way to trick them into letting my cheers get through. It'll be like a game.

RiversMcGee
04-02-2012, 11:56 PM
The ol' respect-o-meter for Mittens would shoot up if he accepted the debate.

unknown
04-03-2012, 03:05 AM
Excellent!

Open primary!

I got a few people I need to get registered down in TX. Think theres still a couple of weeks.

morely webb
04-03-2012, 03:13 AM
I wish the campaign would run an anti-media ad. Show videos and photos of Ron Paul rallies-- the candidate the media does not want you to know about. Give the statistics on % coverage of the Paul campaign, from last year to the present. Paul has probably gotten around 3% of the coverage yet he does as well as Romney against Obama. Take the media down.

G-Wohl
04-03-2012, 09:44 AM
I wish the campaign would run an anti-media ad. Show videos and photos of Ron Paul rallies-- the candidate the media does not want you to know about. Give the statistics on % coverage of the Paul campaign, from last year to the present. Paul has probably gotten around 3% of the coverage yet he does as well as Romney against Obama. Take the media down.

Yes, this would satisfy us who have been with him for as long as you have. But the point of TV ads is to acquire new demographics of supporters - not to strengthen the demographics we've already got locked in. Criticizing the media networks these more mindless individuals watch is not the way to go. Also, do you really think any of the major networks will allow an ad that (correctly) criticizes their broadcasts?

Suzu
04-03-2012, 11:37 AM
do you really think any of the major networks will allow an ad that (correctly) criticizes their broadcasts?They can't refuse any ad from an authorized political campaign. It's against the law.

twomp
04-03-2012, 02:14 PM
They can't refuse any ad from an authorized political campaign. It's against the law.

So is election fraud...

Gravik
04-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Any news if Romney accepted or not? Would make him look bad if he doesn't join :D

digitaldean
04-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Any news if Romney accepted or not? Would make him look bad if he doesn't join :D

I do not think he will. He wants to focus on Obama which will only help get more votes to Paul/Newt/Santorum.

carterm
04-03-2012, 03:01 PM

no news. give it a week i'd guess

PolicyReader
04-03-2012, 03:03 PM
They can't refuse any ad from an authorized political campaign. It's against the law.
^Accurate

fatjohn
04-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Hoping that Romney declines and it still gets televised. Would be a win-win.

spudea
04-10-2012, 03:23 PM
With Santy out, this debate won't happen

it would of been incredibly awesome to attend :(

Brian4Liberty
04-10-2012, 03:26 PM
With Santy out, this debate won't happen

it would of been incredibly awesome to attend :(

Maybe Ron Paul and Newt Gingrich can have a Lincoln-Douglass style debate?

Butchie
04-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Maybe Ron Paul and Newt Gingrich can have a Lincoln-Douglass style debate?

Well, I know it's blasphemy to be realistic about Ron Paul but for all his faults debates are Newt's bread and butter. I love Ron and all but he would get crushed by Newt in a 1 on 1 debate, Ron is smart but he is not quick on his feet, he speaks in words and phrases that rub people the wrong way and he is to complicated whereas Newt just throws them the red meat they want to hear, shallow, but it's effective.

anewvoice
04-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Well, I know it's blasphemy to be realistic about Ron Paul but for all his faults debates are Newt's bread and butter. I love Ron and all but he would get crushed by Newt in a 1 on 1 debate, Ron is smart but he is not quick on his feet, he speaks in words and phrases that rub people the wrong way and he is to complicated whereas Newt just throws them the red meat they want to hear, shallow, but it's effective.

He's not exactly slow either.

Because he's a fake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZPexbzJUU4

Brian4Liberty
04-10-2012, 03:47 PM

On the other hand, a L-D style debate gives each candidate a long time to talk and explain themselves, and would have very little moderator direction. Newt specializes in one liners. It might be a better format for Ron.