PDA

View Full Version : CA-Good neighbor calls cops to report burglary. Cops show up and shoot her dog.

Anti Federalist
03-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Ugh, fixing to lose my voice here.

San Bernardino woman speaks out after police shoot her dog

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/inland_empire&id=8600965

Thursday, March 29, 2012

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- A San Bernardino woman is speaking out after police officers shot her dog. It was her own 911 call that led to the shooting.

As Rosemary Cuevas cleans up her yard - the spot where her dog was shot by police - she still doesn't know what to think. Her 3-year-old Dalmatian mix Julio is alive, but she frets knowing it happened because of her own phone call to police.

"I haven't been right in my head. I haven't been able to sleep," she said.

It all happened outside her house on Stoddard Avenue near 10th Street. Cuevas said she saw burglars trying to steal wiring from the vacant home behind her on Wednesday at about 7 p.m. She called 911 and told police, but she didn't even know officers had arrived until she heard gunfire.

She said police told her that when they arrived, they tried to go through her backyard to get to the burglary-in-progress. They say they shook the fence to alert any dogs and heard nothing.

But when the officer jumped into the yard, he saw a dog charging at him. In a statement, police said, "The officer felt he was in danger of great bodily injury and fired one time at the dog. The dog was transported to a nearby animal hospital, and was later released to the owner."

Police never caught the burglars.

Cuevas said she understands that the officer felt threatened, but she questioned why they didn't let her know first that they needed to enter her yard.

"If they would have just called me, I would have helped them out," she said.

Cuevas said a police officer stopped by on Thursday to give her instructions on how to seek reimbursement from the city. But she's still angry at what happened to her dog.

"I respect them, I've always respected them, and I know we all do mistakes, but just make my little Julio better," she said.

ZENemy
03-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Again? I swear this is like the FIFTH very obscure dog killing by cops I've seen you post (I think they have been mostly you)

I guess they are trying to just overall assert themselves? When I see stuff like this, I wonder...When the cops were federalized where they told to amp it up? Do things out the box? I have never heard of cops killing dogs this easily until recently.

heavenlyboy34
03-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Pssh. Damn mundanes, leaving their dogs in fenced yards where they can easily get in the way of police bullets. Good thing the lady learned her lesson.

Now the cops need to start using hollow-point rounds (at tax payer expense, of course). Much safer. /grim sarcasm :mad:

dannno
03-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Police never caught the burglars.

They probably left when they heard THE FUCKING GUN GO OFF...

Anti Federalist
03-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Again? I swear this is like the FIFTH very obscure dog killing by cops I've seen you post (I think they have been mostly you)

I guess they are trying to just overall assert themselves? When I see stuff like this, I wonder...When the cops were federalized where they told to amp it up? Do things out the box? I have never heard of cops killing dogs this easily until recently.

Yes, it's mostly me although other folks post some as well.

I run a search term each day through the news "Police Shoot Family Dog".

I usually get at least one a day. I don't post ones where the dog is clearly aggressive, on the loose or has visibly attacked other animals or people.

The reason is simple, and why people are getting shot and tased on a regular basis as well.

Three words: Circular Force Continuum.

That is the training that is being put in place at almost every level of policing across the country. It is being put into place with a combined effort between fed training and legal departments in towns and cities all across the country.

Basically what the CFC means is that a cop can use whatever force is available to him, to cease any threat, assure officer safety and maintain control of the scene. Twenty years ago, most cops worked under a "vertical" force matrix, meaning that one level force above what was being displayed by an unruly suspect could be deployed.

That has all changed. A cop can technically blow you away, and have legal and civil immunity, just because you scuffled with him, by claiming that the officer's safety was in danger.

Couple that with the feds lavishing billions and billions of dollars in high tech military weapons, training and gadgets, that of course will be used if they are there, and you have a dangerous combination, because that training is not showing that we are the public to be served, but as enemy hostiles to be "neutralized".

Having said all that, dogs are easier targets than humans, for now anyway.

specsaregood
03-30-2012, 04:31 PM

wow, you could be the next "Amazing Kreskin".

Jingles
03-30-2012, 04:38 PM
What the hell is up with police shooting dogs?? This isn't an isolated thing. I just keep hearing all these stories of police shooting dogs for no reason.

LibForestPaul
03-30-2012, 05:29 PM
HA HA...
sorry, but this one gives me a chuckle.

Anti Federalist
03-30-2012, 05:30 PM
HA HA...
sorry, but this one gives me a chuckle.

Gallows humor, or did I miss something?

Gumba of Liberty
03-30-2012, 05:52 PM
For some reason I am beginning to think Anti-Fed is on to something. I've been reading anti-fed's stuff I have become increasingly pro-gun for sovereigns and increasingly anti-gun for the police. I think his make you sick to your stomach until you agree that the police suck method is working. We should forward this stuff and make the world sick to their stomach. :cool:

Origanalist
03-30-2012, 05:57 PM

Elementary, my dear Watson.

2young2vote
03-30-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm 99% sure that if a dog came running towards me I would bend down and talk sweetly to it and everything would be alright. Police are just trained to shoot at every conceivable "threat."

TruckinMike
03-31-2012, 07:35 AM
For some reason I am beginning to think Anti-Fed is on to something. I've been reading anti-fed's stuff I have become increasingly pro-gun for sovereigns and increasingly anti-gun for the police. I think his make you sick to your stomach until you agree that the police suck method is working. We should forward this stuff and make the world sick to their stomach. :cool:

You are absolutely right, AF makes me sick! Pass it on!:D

TMike

Victor Grey
03-31-2012, 08:31 AM
What the hell is up with police shooting dogs?? This isn't an isolated thing. I just keep hearing all these stories of police shooting dogs for no reason.

Those dogs being there imply that the area in which the dog resides, are off limits.

That notion of privacy drives the state a little batty. So they enjoy training people to shoot them.

I can't fault the cop for shooting something that could hurt him given the situation, but it's still crap.
If she hadn't called them there, and they were in her yard and then the dog attacked them and they shot it, it would be a worse case to me. Still not good though.

There should be something that requires for governments to compensate people when they do these things.

phill4paul
03-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Those dogs being there imply that the area in which the dog resides, are off limits.

Not to the blue man group.

There should be something that requires for governments to compensate people when they do these things.

At least in this case there is that.

Cuevas said a police officer stopped by on Thursday to give her instructions on how to seek reimbursement from the city.

This does not happen all the time. I remember one case in which the police conducted a raid on the wrong address. They destroyed the owners front door. While he was trying to seek compensation for the door replacement he had placed the splintered door to the side of his house. This got him an additional fine from the Code Enforcement Division for having the refuse in his yard.

As to this lady....

"I haven't been right in my head........she said.

I'd say she hasn't. And is unlikely to change that particular symptom to the overall illness.

"I respect them, I've always respected them, and I know we all do mistakes, .....she said.

Yieu
03-31-2012, 08:54 AM

Only the fifth?

Welcome to the forums! ;)

Time to go down a rabbit hole.

LibForestPaul
04-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Gallows humor, or did I miss something?
I pictured a Monty Python skit when I read story.
Hard to believe this is reality.

Anti Federalist
04-03-2012, 05:50 PM
I pictured a Monty Python skit when I read story.
Hard to believe this is reality.

Might I suggest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifmRgQX82O4

Pericles
04-03-2012, 11:11 PM

Its the War on Dogs. Somehow, cats have been able to corrupt the government.

Expatriate
04-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Its the War on Dogs. Somehow, cats have been able to corrupt the government.

It's those fat cat bankers!

http://gotgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/fatcat.jpg

kezt777
04-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Being a parent, my mind always runs first to 'what if my kid had been out there??'. Ya it was probably late at night (i cant recall if the story posts the time) but what if her child, her husband, herself, etc had been out there to check things out, make sure their own yard was okay, etc and BLAM? Ya they 'shook the fence' first but what is that going to do? I get paralyzed by fear and if I had been out in my yard peeking over my own fence to make sure all was well and someone shook my gate, I would probably be frozen to the spot and worrying it was someone trying to break into MY yard, and not say a word - and the next thing I know, the police rush in, my dog charges, and BLAM. No thanks!

We have lots of silly police stories going on up in the Can, A-F. If you get bored one day you should check them out. Lately an over 80 year old woman from Cranbrook BC who failed to give a breathalyser outside her home (unable to blow hard enough due to scarred lungs) and they kept her out there in the cold for about 2 hours (or more) trying to get her to do it, and when they finally freed her she went to the hospital asking for a blood test to prove she had not been drinking, which came back ZERO % I might add, and yet she still faces thousands in fines and trouble for 'resisting a breathalyser test' and so on. It's totally unreal. That would be our federal police as well - the RCMP. No, not a dog story, but I wouldnt be surprised if you found some of those as well. BC and Alberta also have laws now that even if you are under the .08, but above .05, the police can immediately take your license and your car for 3 days. Then you have to pay to get it all back. So lots of fun with that as well. The federal level here is .08 as well but provinces have slowly been adopting this .05 to .08 thing as a bylaw. The old lady had zero percent though, once she finally got a blood test and still she is going through the courts.

drummergirl
04-03-2012, 11:45 PM

That could have tipped them off. :p

Brian4Liberty
04-04-2012, 12:05 AM
It's those fat cat bankers!

Lol!

phill4paul
04-04-2012, 07:01 AM
We have lots of silly police stories going on up in the Can, A-F. If you get bored one day you should check them out. Lately an over 80 year old woman from Cranbrook BC who failed to give a breathalyser outside her home (unable to blow hard enough due to scarred lungs) and they kept her out there in the cold for about 2 hours (or more) trying to get her to do it, and when they finally freed her she went to the hospital asking for a blood test to prove she had not been drinking, which came back ZERO % I might add, and yet she still faces thousands in fines and trouble for 'resisting a breathalyser test' and so on. It's totally unreal. That would be our federal police as well - the RCMP. No, not a dog story, but I wouldnt be surprised if you found some of those as well. BC and Alberta also have laws now that even if you are under the .08, but above .05, the police can immediately take your license and your car for 3 days. Then you have to pay to get it all back. So lots of fun with that as well. The federal level here is .08 as well but provinces have slowly been adopting this .05 to .08 thing as a bylaw. The old lady had zero percent though, once she finally got a blood test and still she is going through the courts.

Thank the people of M.A.D.D. of Canada for that. What started out as an organization to stop recidivist offenders became a full blown prohibitionist one. As the organization grew it was taken over by the prohibitionist and the founder, Candy Lightner, was forced out. She has since stated that MADD "has become far more neo-prohibitionist than I had ever wanted or envisioned … I didn’t start MADD to deal with alcohol. I started MADD to deal with the issue of drunk driving"

kezt777
04-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Thank the people of M.A.D.D. of Canada for that. What started out as an organization to stop recidivist offenders became a full blown prohibitionist one. As the organization grew it was taken over by the prohibitionist and the founder, Candy Lightner, was forced out. She has since stated that MADD "has become far more neo-prohibitionist than I had ever wanted or envisioned … I didn’t start MADD to deal with alcohol. I started MADD to deal with the issue of drunk driving"

The leader of my city's chapter of MADD is an interesting piece of work. I have known the family for over 20 years now and her own son is an addict (prescription drugs) and her grandchildren came to my daycare and he would pick them up while obviously under the influence of something, and we had to call her to come and get the kids herself a few times because we were worried (A horrible situation to be put in, trust me!)... and yet she is on the radio and tv all the time drumming up MADD. I always think 'fix your own friggin back yard first, okay?'. She petitioned for her son and his family to get a habitat for humanity house and THEY DID. I was physically ill. she was on tv crying in thanks for this wonderful gift, because her son was injured and unable to work. BULLTWEET. Omg I was so angry I took the chance of emailing H4H myself and telling them what I thought about their most recent inductees and that they should be very careful in the future. this dude is married to one of my long time friends and none of us have been friends with her properly for more than a decade because of her pathetic excuse for a hubby. meanwhile, his MADD momma is dictating to others what they should do with their lives and it makes me sick. And guess what she bought her sweet little boy last year? A new SUV. to drive. while he is half corked on who-knows-what, and his 5 kids are in the car with him. Oh great.

I should add that I dont drive, but my bf does and he very rarely drinks. He doesnt think anyone should drive after consuming ANY alcohol but he and his brothers all learned the hard way with terrible accidents in the past. But he does not support what is happening. He wants things tougher on actual drunk drivers, esp repeat offenders, like taking away their license for longer, etc. Driving is not a 'right', but people do have the right not to be forced to stop on their way to wherever in order to be forced through a Check Stop and to answer personal questions from the police (such as 'where are you going? where did you drive to this point from?' etc) when they did not do anything to arise police suspicions (erratic driving, etc) - they only ended up on the road where the check stop was by chance. In the past 5 years he has driven after drinking maybe 3 times, and even then it was one drink and he did not drive for a few hours afterward. and yet we have been stuck in check stops. And now there is the removal of your vehicle and license when you are NOT over the legal limit. I dont know whats going to happen next.

phill4paul
04-04-2012, 07:22 AM
I dont know whats going to happen next.

Zero-tolerence. Mandatory ignition sobriety devices.

The Goat
04-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Why can't the officers be charged with trespassing? If this crap happened to my dog. I would press charges. I would also have an irate video on every local news with the sentence "The dog was in MY fenced back yard, so the cop jumped the fence and when my dog did what every dog does, the BASTARD COP shot my dog and I'm pressing charges for trespassing."
I would also say Its not smart for ANYONE unannounced to go snooping around someones back yard with a gun drawn. Who's to say lady doesn't come out her back door with a shot gun drawn and get shot her self.

phill4paul
04-04-2012, 07:35 AM
Who's to say lady doesn't come out her back door with a shot gun drawn and get shot her self.

"In today's news Police report an elaborate attempt by a lone gunman to kill local law enforcement officers. The Police Information Officer reports that this lone gunman called in a false report of a burglary in order to draw police officers into an ambush. And now the local weather......"

The Goat
04-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Those damn sovereigns strike again.

"In today's news Police report an elaborate attempt by a lone gunman to kill local law enforcement officers. The Police Information Officer reports that this lone gunman called in a false report of a burglary in order to draw police officers into an ambush. And now the local weather......"

seraphson
04-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Completely serious question.
Do we need police?
What if everyone in the nation was armed? I know an armed society is a polite society but am I stretching it a bit too far?
I understand the many implications of this but was curious on the thoughts of others.

Pericles
04-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Completely serious question.
Do we need police?
What if everyone in the nation was armed? I know an armed society is a polite society but am I stretching it a bit too far?
I understand the many implications of this but was curious on the thoughts of others.

That may be why there were no police until well into the 19th Century, and even then only is larger cities.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
04-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Because they were in pursuit of a reported crime in progress. They are allowed, even under the Constitution to do that. What they aren't allowed to do is use deadly force on an animal that was irrelevant to the investigation.

kcchiefs6465
04-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Yes, it's mostly me although other folks post some as well.

I run a search term each day through the news "Police Shoot Family Dog".
I was wondering how you find these articles. Would rep if I could.

Anti Federalist
04-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Zero-tolerence. Mandatory ignition sobriety devices.

No decline roadside blood tests.

Give it a few more years.

Summary roadside execution.

kcchiefs6465
04-04-2012, 12:20 PM
No decline roadside blood tests.

Give it a few more years.

Summary roadside execution.
Speaking of which I was given two D.U.I.s on one traffic stop. One for refusing to blow into a breathalyzer (which I eventually did and passed with a BAC of just .01) and the other was for refusing to take a urine test. As if I am supposed to up and piss in a cup on command.

EDIT: Refusing the test is equivalent to pleading guilty. So even though I eventually agreed to their test I was still taken to jail and my license automatically suspended for a year.

Anti Federalist
04-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Speaking of which I was given two D.U.I.s on one traffic stop. One for refusing to blow into a breathalyzer (which I eventually did and passed with a BAC of just .01) and the other was for refusing to take a urine test. As if I am supposed to up and piss in a cup on command.

EDIT: Refusing the test is equivalent to pleading guilty. So even though I eventually agreed to their test I was still taken to jail and my license automatically suspended for a year.

All because they bamboozled people into thinking their right to drive was somehow a "privilege".

I'm glad you got out of that with just a license suspension and not a wood shampoo.

kezt777
04-04-2012, 11:12 PM
A lot of people over the years have told me that my oldest son would be an excellent police officer. He is smart, huge (at 14 he is just a quarter inch off 6 feet tall), very nice and polite, very calm and rational in bad situations, friendly, etc. I imagine these MANY comments have come from people wanting to go back to the good old days when the cop showed up to a Loud Party call and just tsk tsk'd the kids and took their booze or said 'please dont make me have to come back here AGAIN kids, I dont want to have to take anyone in' and it wasnt all crazy. But even though I thought 'ya, I think my kid would be a great cop', I will tell him NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO if he gets the idea himself. I fear he would be brainwashed within a year.

My boss's hubby has worked for the City dept for over 35 years and he said that all his old cop buddies HATE most of the new recruits. They can barely stand what has gone on in the police depts and talk about it all the time. These are guys that I knew as a wild teen and I 'hated' them the way teens do, but they were never rude or horrid to us. I remember being at an apartment party when I was about 16 and there was a knock at the door. A constable was standing there and I had a beer in my hand. I was also very drunk and Im positive he knew that lol. I said 'oh, just a sec' and I shut the door in his face and put my beer down and opened it again and said 'hello'. DUH omg lol. Anyway he shook his head at me, asked to talk to the apartment renter and then had a few words and left. That was it! A few days later he came to my school to talk to our class and I nearly died as I walked past him. He looked down at me and grinned and said 'well hello there' with a rather wry smile. He is an Inspector now and deals mainly with teaching kids to watch out for funky drugs and be careful (he taught my oldest son)... But those guys are few and far between now. The young ones act like they are God's Gift (the inspector;s words, apparently) and the oldies cannot tolerate being around them. Many have left the force early to get the heck away from it all. It's bizarre. so ya, if my son ever gets the idea to become some sort of officer, I think I might pass out and then beg him not to. Not how it is these days... he might be a strong enough person to resist the power they try to push on the recruits - but what if he isnt???

I should add that I had one problem with an officer as a teen - she was a new recruit and it was 3 weeks before my 18th birthday and I was in a park with a bunch of other kids and a case of beer. It wasnt mine but she wasnt letting us go anywhere so i took the rap. She was hideous. She even came to my house to talk to my parents a day or so later and my dad refused to come out of the basement to talk. She said 'dont you care that your underage daughter is drinking???' in a smart ass voice - my dad said 'she's been drinking for 3 years, where the heck have you been?' and then shut the basement door. And dont get me wrong, its not that my dad didnt care-- after she left he told me that if the cops ever came to the house again for something I had done, my stuff would be out on the front lawn lol. Whoops!!! but seriously, this lady had a major chip on her shoulder (im a woman, i know what she was trying to prove in a Man's Job) but it was crazy. She was mean, horrible, acting like I beat someone up or worse. It was a case of beer and we werent being rowdy or anything. Just bored out of our minds and stupid lol. I even made special mention of her by name in my yearbook grad message. what a dipshit. she was the first of the line of new recruits over the past 20 years of major changes with police authority in my area.

slamhead
04-04-2012, 11:18 PM

Do they have some secret national pool going to see who can shoot the most dogs? This is getting ridiculous. I am sorry but I would have to let a dog put its teeth in me before I would even think about shooting it, and even then I would think twice about it.