PDA

View Full Version : U.S. national debt is at 9.1 trillion dollars

FluxCapacitor
11-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Here's the U.S. National Debt Clock:
http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

Here's Ross Perot talking about the 4.1 trillion dollar national debt in 1992. He was right to be concerned! 4.1 trillion dollars was a huge debt. In 15 years, the debt has gone from 4.1 trillion to 9.1 trillion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERlGndQ_xtM

The problem is that a politician who ignores the Constitution will be able to sacrifice the long-term financial health of the country for their own short-term political gain.

That politician will be out of office by the time the bills come due. So we have several waves of politicians over the decade, and each new wave borrows more money to cover the debt of the previous wave.

This cycle will continue until we, the people, elect representatives who have enough integrity and political willpower to buckle down and get the excess spending under control. We need a president who will tell it like it is. Someone who will put the safety and well being of their country as top priority.

The phenomenon of shortsighted fiscal irresponsibility is a direct result of the fact that the politicians are no longer in office when the country is hit by the long term results of their short term vote-buying policies. There is very little political pressure toward fiscal responsibility. A few lines of rhetoric about it is usually enough to mollify the electorate.

This lack of accountability could never exist in a household. If I spend too much money one year, I have debts the next year, and the interest on those debts will compound. I could take out new loans or get new credit cards, and use them to pay the interest on the previous debt. And then the next year I'll have even more debt and the interest will be even higher. Most people know in their hearts that this sort of thing has to come to an end sometime. The longer it continues, the harder it is to get it under control.

Imagine if you had a stranger come into your household and make all the financial decisions for a few years, and then leave. He wouldn't need to work or produce anything. He could run up the credit card bills, eat fancy meals, take the kids to Disneyland every week. The kids would love it. After four years or so, he would disappear and move on to something else. But the debt wouldn't disappear. You would be left with the debt. That's what's been happening for decades. Each wave of politicians comes in and spends money left and right, then leaves. None of them have politician incentive to address theses problems, because we have no way to hold them accountable after they've left office. The proper way to deal with this is to consider these issues BEFORE we vote.

Johnnybags
11-14-2007, 03:08 PM
just two presidents, military industrial complex and big oil, + bailing out banks. 2 suckbag Presidents who used the FED like an atm.

dsentell
11-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Last night several television news shows (I know, I know . . .) were reporting that the national debt is actually about 15 TRILLION DOLLARS!

They arrived at the 15 trillion by factoring in all the interest that will have to be paid on this borrowed money, the increase in gasoline prices and the lost income (presumably of those serving in the military).

Any way you look at it, quite a sad situation . . .

Daveforliberty
11-14-2007, 03:12 PM
We need to get the message out RIGHT NOW to 300,000,000 Americans. ONLY RON PAUL understands what is going on, is predicting what is going to happen, and knows the way out. When everything crashes, there are many possible outcomes, some of them VERY scary. (Why is Dubya setting the table for dictatorial rule?). If the people of the United States know that Ron Paul called it, like he called the Iraq debacle as early as 1998, there is hope.

FluxCapacitor
11-15-2007, 01:27 AM
Last night several television news shows (I know, I know . . .) were reporting that the national debt is actually about 15 TRILLION DOLLARS!

They arrived at the 15 trillion by factoring in all the interest that will have to be paid on this borrowed money, the increase in gasoline prices and the lost income (presumably of those serving in the military).

Any way you look at it, quite a sad situation . . .

Well, that's not a very useful way of looking at it. That would be like the household including their future credit card interest as part of their current debt. There's no need to try make it sound more dramatic. $9.1 trillion really is alot of debt.

Here's a comment from a friend:
After poking around through the Wikipedia article on US public debt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_public_debt), it looks like:

Of that $9 trillion, about $4 trillion is owed to other parts of the US government (e.g. Social Security). Of the remaining debt, about 25% is owed to foreign governments (details (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17424874/)). Japan, China, and the UK are the top ones.

The rest is owed to other investors in US treasury bonds, including state and local governments, private investors, pension funds, etc.

hard@work
11-15-2007, 02:18 AM
Don't forget the debt they are not talking about. The debt owed by each household and individual to their creditors.

The American people owe the banks a lot of money.

user
11-15-2007, 02:49 AM
My fear is that the inevitable crash comes during Ron Paul's presidency and he unfairly gets the blame for it.

derdy
11-15-2007, 03:05 AM
Don't forget entitlements which jacks it up to about $40 trillion :eek:

Adamsa
11-15-2007, 04:23 AM
It's completely ridiculous.

JosephTheLibertarian
11-15-2007, 04:31 AM
This is why I only support voluntary contributions. I'm a no tax guy

werdd
11-15-2007, 11:03 AM
If we'd of had perot in 92 we would be in much better shape.