Rudy Giuliani

Ron Paul

Mike Huckabee

John McCain

Duncan Hunter

Uncommitted

Total Delegates

Source:
http://www.wvgopconvention.com/content/img/f42045/Delegate_Registrations_11_13.pdf

---------------------------

Note: All but 1 of Ron Paul's delegates are guaranteed, because only state legislators, county and state GOP committee members automatically get to be delegates. The other delegates will be elected county by county, with either half the vote or the entire vote being online, depending on the county's choice.

The filing deadline is NOVEMBER 30 and the fee is $25.

West Virginia's convention is held on January 5 (Super Tuesday) and W.Va. will announce their winner FIRST as part of the whole "I'm a small state, I want more influence" thing and may very well influence larger states such as California, etc., that also vote on January 5. West Virginia will select its eighteen at-large Delegates on February 5 at the State Party Convention, but then select its nine district delegates and three unpledged delegates during the party primary on Tuesday, May 13.

Here are the delegate instructions and registration form:
http://www.wvgopconvention.com/content/img/f42045/101607_Instructions_for_Filing_State_Convention_De legate.pdf

This is URGENT, as is every deadline when it comes to delegates. We need to get this information out, and quickly.

skiingff
11-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey everybody from WEST VIRGINIA, become a delegate NOW!

I don't know which is more strategic, committing to Ron Paul or going Uncommitted if you want to be voted in as a delegate.

Any ideas?

me3
11-14-2007, 03:02 PM
bump bump

Ethek
11-14-2007, 03:03 PM
So if any in the chosen group elect themselves as candidates then others get bumped?

newmedia4ron
11-14-2007, 03:05 PM
bump.

Ethek
11-14-2007, 03:06 PM
I am not sure how the message is doing in WV. WV is in the bottom three on the donation map along with KY and MS. I'm in KY so I am doing what I can to change that.

skiingff
11-14-2007, 03:16 PM
I am not sure how the message is doing in WV. WV is in the bottom three on the donation map along with KY and MS. I'm in KY so I am doing what I can to change that.

Well you have to put it in context. West Virginia is a poor state. They don't donate much to ANYONE.

The southern part especially. The panhandle and northern West Virginia is a bit different. I think overall, the state isn't that big into national politics.

If there were just a couple Ron Paul supporters in each county willing to pay $25, we could win in Charleston on November 5. I'm registering to vote here this week or early next week, but I cannot become a delegate because I won't be here November 5 (Military training). But I will help vote in my friend as a delegate and he will attend for me.

Honestly, this state is winnable if we have the organization to Mobilize delegates to Charleston. No other campaign is focusing here, so...

bbachtung
11-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Bump.

I noticed that one of RP's delegates is a county executive committee member (the rest are running as at-large by county).

shepburn
11-14-2007, 03:25 PM
this whole WV process is confusing... anyone care to explain it?

skiingff
11-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Oh, another important, VERY important thing:
ONLINE VOTING FOR DELEGATES
http://www.wvgopconvention.com/onlinevoting/

Must register by November 30!
To qualify, the ONLY thing is you must be a registered Republican!
Register on the website today!

West Virginians for Ron Paul Meetup Group (Charleston, WV; 56 members)
The Morgantown Ron Paul 2008 Meetup Group (Morgantown, WV; 48 members)
The Tri-State Area Ron Paul 2008 Meetup Group (Huntington, WV; 34 members)
Central WV Ron Paul Meetup Group (Salem, WV; 27 members)
Eastern Panhandle Ron Paul Meetup Group (Shepherdstown, WV; 27 members)
The Wheeling/ Ohio Valley Ron Paul 2008 Meetup Group (Wheeling, WV; 8 members)
A Ron Paul For President Meetup Site (Ranger, WV; 5 members)

Meetup members in state: 205

One (1) delegate for each one thousand (1,000)
registered Republicans and every fraction thereof in each of the fifty-five
(55) counties in West Virginia.
Source: http://www.wvgopconvention.com/rules/

THAT MEANS THERE WILL BE AT LEAST A FEW AT-LARGE DELEGATES PER COUNTY! That could be a Ron Paul supporter!

skiingff
11-14-2007, 03:35 PM
this whole WV process is confusing... anyone care to explain it?

Absolutely. 30 national delegates are at stake (that will cast votes in the electoral college).

How does West Virginia select these national delegates?
18 of them will be selected at the GOP convention in Charleston on November 5. The 18 delegates are selected by the people who attend the convention.

People who attend the convention simply pay $25 and sign up as delegates. If they are elected as an at-large delegate for their county, they go to Charleston! The "delegate election" will be online in some counties, and 1/2 online in others. Besides the "at-large" delegates, which ANYONE can run as, state lawmakers, and state and county GOP committee members automatically qualify as delegates.

So these delegates at the state GOP convention simply cast a vote for their pick for President. Whoever wins, wins. Winner-take-all I believe. Then BOOM, 18 delegates won for that candidate.

The other 12 NATIONAL delegates are chosen in a primary to be held at a later date.

So basically, if only 1/2 the Ron Paul supporters here ran for delegates, they could cast a vote for him at the state convention and we could win.

It's all about WHO CAN MOBILIZE THE MOST DELEGATES.

BiPolarBear
11-14-2007, 03:37 PM
I sent in my form to be a delegate today. So you can add one more to that list. I also have a neighbor who said he is going to do it as well. The Eastern Panhandle meetup group is having a delegate signup meeting in Martinsburg on Nov. 24th also.

skiingff
11-14-2007, 03:39 PM
I sent in my form to be a delegate today. So you can add one more to that list. I also have a neighbor who said he is going to do it as well. The Eastern Panhandle meetup group is having a delegate signup meeting in Martinsburg on Nov. 24th also.

Great!

Did you also register to vote to send yourself to Charleston? Even though you are running for county-at-large delegate, you can still vote for yourself:

All registered Republicans may participate in the election of delegates to the State Convention.

Please get EVERY ONE in your Meetup to do this. YOU CAN REGISTER ONLINE.

thehittgirl
11-14-2007, 03:42 PM
bump

BiPolarBear
11-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Great!

Did you also register to vote to send yourself to Charleston? Even though you are running for county-at-large delegate, you can still vote for yourself:

All registered Republicans may participate in the election of delegates to the State Convention.

Please get EVERY ONE in your Meetup to do this. YOU CAN REGISTER ONLINE.

Yes, I registered to vote online a few weeks ago. Anyone else here in the Berkeley or Jefferson County area?

BiPolarBear
11-14-2007, 04:26 PM
16 days left to register to vote or to be a delegate in WV! (bump)

Hurricane Bruiser
11-14-2007, 04:53 PM
I'll be filing to be a delegate when I get back from a business trip. Wood co.

skiingff
11-14-2007, 07:48 PM
I'll be filing to be a delegate when I get back from a business trip. Wood co.

Awesome!

2 down, 370 to go :o

County-at-large delegates (regular people) make up 25% of the total delegates at the convention.

If we could fill half of those 372 slots, then pray for about 10% of the other delegates to vote for Ron Paul, we'd win!

newmedia4ron
11-14-2007, 10:39 PM

MsDoodahs
11-14-2007, 11:36 PM
this needs a bump.

Badger Paul
11-15-2007, 12:02 AM
You've gotten off to a good start in West Virginia. If you're looking for more potential delegates may I suggest contacting the Students for Ron Paul chapter at West Virginia University: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7241697159

There is a similar chapter at Wheeling Jesuit Seminary too but I don't have their facebook address.

hasan
11-15-2007, 12:12 AM
seems to me west virginia looks like a good prospect. im not from WV myself but i sure hope ron paul advocates from WV realize the potential there and become delegates.

Jobarra
11-15-2007, 12:21 AM
Sheesh, only $25 to register as a delegate in WV? Costs me $150 in Alabama! :P

Don't suppose WV has any meetup groups? :D

Furis
11-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Sheesh, only $25 to register as a delegate in WV? Costs me $150 in Alabama! :P

Don't suppose WV has any meetup groups? :D

Psh... $150..... I have to get elected/selected FOUR times!!!

Jobarra
11-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Psh... $150..... I have to get elected/selected FOUR times!!!
Okay, we need to start working on your charm right now. You have to be the most likable person there :D

skiingff
11-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Ok, I've personally sent an e-mail to:

- All 200 Meetup supporters
- 50 Myspace supporters
- 20 Facebook supporters

in West Virginia.

The next step is we need to obtain the phone #'s of ALL Ron Paul supporters in the state from HQ. We should get a bunch of us from the forums together and phone bank, explaining the situation and how his supporters can help by becoming delegates. If we had people talk one-on-one with supporters, I bet they'd listen, and be more than happy to help out.

I know HQ might not give this info. out, but they should. They have the largest database of RP supporters in the state and we could easily win if we got most of them involved in the delegate process (either becoming a delegate or simply registering to vote online for RP delegates).

Ideas?

Again, the state is virtually rigged in favor of Ron Paul. County-at-large delegates make up 25% of the total delegates that will attend the convention. These are regular people like me and you. Since the interest isn't extremely high, with a few votes a delegate has the potential to become "elected" and go to the GOP convention. Furthermore, the voting is ONLINE. That's right, ONLINE in the state that's 10 years behind the times!!! (In addition, individual counties have an option to also hold traditional caucuses, but even if they do online still counts for 50% of the vote).

We need to get on this, and on every other state that has an approaching deadline. We need teams that swarm to help get Ron Paul elected.

newmedia4ron
11-15-2007, 12:50 PM

skiingff
11-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Fred Thompson

Mitt Romney

Rudy Giuliani

Ron Paul

John McCain

Mike Huckabee

Duncan Hunter

Uncommitted

-----------------------

4th place according to the delegate count.... not too bad.... could easily jump to 1st if people would take action!

Source:
http://www.wvgopconvention.com/content/img/f42045/Delegate_Registrations_11_15.pdf

newmedia4ron
11-15-2007, 01:24 PM

BiPolarBear
11-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Looking at the list of current registrants, there are quite a few that say "Uncommitted". Has anyone considered a direct-mail campaign to these individuals? Maybe send them the Ron Paul dvd and other information?

The list can be found on this page: http://wvgopconvention.com/delegate/...ew.asp?c=42045

Rob - Martinsburg WV (Berkeley County)

I posted this in the delegate section of the forum yesterday, but it's a bit quiet over there. Anyone have any ideas about this? Is this legal?

skiingff
11-15-2007, 01:33 PM
I posted this in the delegate section of the forum yesterday, but it's a bit quiet over there. Anyone have any ideas about this? Is this legal?

Yes, it's legal.

This is a good idea, one that I was thinking about as well.

newmedia4ron
11-15-2007, 05:57 PM
bump for importance

Bradley in DC
11-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Absolutely. 30 national delegates are at stake (that will cast votes in the electoral college).

Electoral college? :eek: :p

bbachtung
11-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Yes, it's legal.

This is a good idea, one that I was thinking about as well.

Focus especially on the XC people and the legislators.

newmedia4ron
11-15-2007, 11:15 PM

me3
11-15-2007, 11:55 PM
bump

Slist
11-16-2007, 01:29 AM
How many of you registered as uncommitted? :-)

Spirit of '76
11-16-2007, 09:46 AM
I sent in my application, but for some reason I'm not showing on the official list yet. I'll be attending our county Republican Club meeting on Monday, and the state GOP chairman should be there, so I'll go straight to the top to try to find out what the hold up is.

WV Meetup Groups Holding Delegate Signup Sessions This Weekend:

We will be signing up voters and delegates to the WV GOP Convention, and delegates to the Republican National Convention. Please come, myself and others who understand the system will be available to help and answer any questions you may have. All of the necessary forms will be available to get you signed up as a delegate to the WV GOP Convention and/or the Republican National Convention. The $25 fee associated with this event is not for the group, but is the $25 filing fee required to file as a delegate.

Please remember that you must be registered as a Republican voter. You can do this in person at your county courthouse voter records office and it will take effect right away, while changing it via the mail takes several weeks. Please do so this week if you are not already registered Republican.

Clarksburg:

Saturday, November 17, 2007, 4:00 PM

Panera
103 Emily Dr. (Eastpointe Shopping Center, just off I-79)
Clarksburg , WV 26301

Martinsburg:

Saturday, Nov 24, 2007, 4:00 PM

Martinsburg Mall Food Court
Foxcroft Ave
Martinsburg, WV 25401
(304)229-6960

Morgantown:

Saturday, Nov 17, 2007, 7:00 PM

Cold Stone Creamery
356 High St
Morgantown, WV 26505

Badger Paul
11-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Does West Virginia U have any more home football games? You could sign up delegates right outside Mountaineer Stadium.

Spirit of '76
11-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Does West Virginia U have any more home football games? You could sign up delegates right outside Mountaineer Stadium.

Only one between now and the registration deadline, but it's a possibility. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Spirit of '76
11-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Just in from the WVGOP Convention Chairman:

Several campaigns have asked similar questions concerning the
eligibility of persons to serve as delegates to the West Virginia GOP
Presidential Convention. Because similar questions were received from
several campaigns, this communication is sent to all campaigns to
respond in a summary manner. Reference is made to the Rules for
Selection of West Virginia Delegates to the Republican National
Convention ("the Rules") posted on our web site. This communication
is intended as an interpretation of the Rules and does not alter what
the Rules already say.

I. We were asked to determine the latest date by which a voter must
be a registered Republican in order to serve as a delegate to the
Convention.

Response: An individual must be duly registered to vote as a
Republican under the laws of the State of West Virginia on or before
November 30, 2007 in order to serve as a delegate to the convention or
to vote in either the on-line voting or at a county convention.

Discussion: We chose to use a modified version of the West Virginia
candidate's certificate of announcement to allow voters to file as a
delegate or delegate candidate. Section 8 of that form contains the
following statement: "I am affiliated with the following political
party ____ and I HAVE NOT BEEN REGISTERED AS A MEMBER OF ANOTHER
POLITICAL PARTY WITHIN 60 DAYS OF THIS DATE. (WV Code §3-5-7(b)(9))"
(Emphasis added) However, Section 2.10 of the Rules states "Eligible
Republicans shall mean those individuals duly registered to vote as
Republicans under the laws of the State of West Virginia on or before
the 30th day of November of the year preceding the Convention Year."

Since the 60 day requirement that appears on form is not part of the
Rules, the Rules supersede the form, rather than the other way around.
A voter who otherwise qualifies to serve as a delegate may cross out
the portion of section 8 following the blank line and his/her
application will be accepted.

II. We were asked to determine whether 17-year old registered
Republicans would be allowed to participate in on-line voting, vote at
county conventions and/or to serve as delegates to the Convention.

Response: 17-year old individuals duly registered to vote as a
Republican under the laws of the State of West Virginia are eligible
to register to vote on-line, to vote at county conventions, and/or to
serve as delegate to the Convention.

Discussion: The national voting age is 18. West Virginia allows
17-year old citizens to become registered voters provided that they
will be 18 by the following general election. Section 2.10 of the
Rules, quoted above, would therefore apply to those new voters. We
will rely on the county voter registration process to determine
whether persons are eligible to register and we will use the November
30 cutoff date stated in the Rules to establish that list of
Republicans eligible to participate in the Convention as a voter or
delegate.

That means that anyone who thought they couldn't run as a delegate because they just switched parties is indeed eligible to run! The deadline for registration is November 30th, so register today.

Spread the word to your friends in the Libertarian Party, Constitution Party, etc.

The form required for registering as a delegate is located here:
http://wvgopconvention.com/content/img/f42045/Cerft_of_Announcement_Rev.pdf

Register to vote for delegates in the online election here:
http://www.wvgopconvention.com/onlinevoting/application.asp

If you need help understanding the process or registering as a delegate, please try to attend one of the meetings listed above in post #38.

Feel free to PM me for further assistance.

BiPolarBear
11-16-2007, 10:17 AM
From my e-mail (thanks Gabriel):

I just received new info from the WVGOP that the 60-day party change
restriction does NOT apply for delegates to the state convention. This
means all of your Democrat, Libertarian, Mountain, and Constitution
party friends can change to R now and immediately apply for delegate
positions.

Make sure everybody hears about this. Justine, please forward this to
the entire WV list if you would.

As a reminder, here are links for applying for delegate and for
signing up for online voting:

-Gabriel McCall

Note: Double-posted in WV Delegate thread as well...

Spirit of '76
11-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Note: Double-posted in WV Delegate thread as well...

lol

You and me both. ;)

BiPolarBear
11-16-2007, 10:20 AM
lol

You and me both. ;)

Well, this is important enough to spread the message everywhere and anywhere! :D

Slist
11-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Just in from the WVGOP Convention Chairman:

That means that anyone who thought they couldn't run as a delegate because they just switched parties is indeed eligible to run! The deadline for registration is November 30th, so register today.

Spread the word to your friends in the Libertarian Party, Constitution Party, etc.

The form required for registering as a delegate is located here:

Register to vote for delegates in the online election here:

If you need help understanding the process or registering as a delegate, please try to attend one of the meetings listed above in post #38.

Feel free to PM me for further assistance.
Bump

newmedia4ron
11-16-2007, 02:27 PM

Badger Paul
11-16-2007, 02:34 PM
You're welcome Spirit and good luck! You guys are doing great.

reduen
11-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Is there an updated number of the total for Dr. Paul?

BiPolarBear
11-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Is there an updated number of the total for Dr. Paul?

You can download the full list of delegates from here: http://www.wvgopconvention.com/delegate/contentview.asp?c=42045

I haven't tallied them up at all. By the way, if anyone here has a simple way to convert the pdf list to a nicely formatted spreadsheet, please let me know. (I put it into excel and tried the text to columns thing, but too much manual formatting would have been required.) I'm thinking of creating a mail merge for sending out Ron Paul flyers/info.

This list is updated periodically as new registrations come in. It was last updated yesterday. I hope to be on the list on Monday! Unfortunately there is someone else in the state with my name as well and he is a Romney delegate. :eek:

reduen
11-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Looks like:

Uncommitted = 109

Thompson = 36

Romney = 33

Giuliani = 23

Paul = 17

Huckabee = 6

McCain = 5

Hunter = 3

Tancredo = 0

Whatever all this means..

fez2008
11-17-2007, 04:13 PM
This is TOP priority! How many other states have similar rules?

fez2008
11-18-2007, 08:09 AM
bump!

fez2008
11-19-2007, 07:25 PM
RP- 24 delegates now.

http://www.wvgopconvention.com/content/img/f42045/Delegate_Registrations_11_19.pdf

newmedia4ron
11-19-2007, 11:21 PM
bump

Ethek
11-19-2007, 11:47 PM
RP- 24 delegates now.

http://www.wvgopconvention.com/content/img/f42045/Delegate_Registrations_11_19.pdf

Awesome,

The others

Fred - 43.
Romney - 40
Giuliani - 27
Huckabee - 7
Hunter - 4

Uncommitted - 117

Very split.
Wonder how many will stick.

Badger Paul
11-20-2007, 09:57 AM
The uncomitteds will wait to see who emerges in January as the strongest candidate and vote for them accordingly.

LarryWhite
11-20-2007, 10:43 AM
We're having a delegate registration reception at Tomahawk's in St Albans, WV on Nov 28th starting at 6pm. Sent out an announcement to my meetup groups, the newspapers in town, and talk radio stations.

We are also planning a mailing to uncommitted delegates and the Republican state legislatures, it will include a DVD and at least some slim jims, depending on price might try to send the storyboard mailer from the campaign site.

terlinguatx
11-20-2007, 11:04 AM