PDA

View Full Version : School expels student for cursing on Twitter

cstarace
03-28-2012, 10:08 PM
From Facebook communications to tweets, you're no doubt already aware that nothing you do online is truly private. But should you have a reasonable expectation that your superiors aren't actively spying on you? That's the question a lot of people are asking after Garrett High School in Indiana expelled a high school senior for cursing over Twitter during off-school hours.

The tweet in question dropped the F-bomb a number of times, but was otherwise non-threatening. It was posted at 2:30 a.m. — a time when the student in question was most assuredly not at school. Still, despite the evidence, the school stands by its decision to expel the student.

How did the school discover that one of its students dared to tweet an offending word during the middle of the night? Simple: Garrett High School's computer system actively tracks the social media presence of its students. Because the student logged on to his account during school hours, the system was able to find and report the foul-mouthed tweet, leading to the expulsion.

"I don't think the school or anybody should be looking at [my account]. Because it's my own personal stuff and it's none of their business," said the student, who will be attending an alternative high school to finish out his school year and earn his degree.

Predictably, students at Garrett High School did not react favorably to news of the expulsion. A student-led protest was put down by local police after school administrators clamped down on the students' First Amendment rights even further.

http://www.tecca.com/news/2012/03/27/garrett-high-school-expels-student-over-tweets/

Unfuckingbelievable.

coastie
03-28-2012, 10:09 PM
He didn't do it right...he'd got nothing if he just did this...
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?369514-Student-Faces-No-Charges-Over-Violent-Racial-Outburst

oyarde
03-28-2012, 10:23 PM
I saw the expelled for profanity thing today . Of course , my first thought was , ridiculous , punishment too severe . Then , I thought , all these kids at this school , may learn a valuable lesson from such nonsense . I am going to send this kid the address where I work , in case he needs a job...

cstarace
03-28-2012, 10:26 PM
I saw the expelled for profanity thing today . Of course , my first thought was , ridiculous , punishment too severe . Then , I thought , all these kids at this school , may learn a valuable lesson from such nonsense . I am going to send this kid the address where I work , in case he needs a job...
The point is that schools should have absolutely NO AUTHORITY when it comes to shit like this. They are not the kid's parents, they are there to provide him with an education. I would sue the school and make a public embarrassment out of them. Shit like this makes me infuriated with public sector employees, and even more infuriated that property taxes can't be opted out of when attending private schools or homeschooling.

coastie
03-28-2012, 10:45 PM
The point is that schools should have absolutely NO AUTHORITY when it comes to shit like this. They are not the kid's parents, they are there to provide him with an education indoctrination. I would sue the school and make a public embarrassment out of them. Shit like this makes me infuriated with public sector employees, and even more infuriated that property taxes can't be opted out of when attending private schools or homeschooling.

Yep.

Xhin
03-29-2012, 03:44 AM
Where I live, you don't get expelled even if you swear during school. The teacher just says "Please don't swear".

emazur
03-29-2012, 04:14 AM
Somehow I doubt that any of the school's staff will get the boot for doing the same thing

moostraks
03-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Wonder how many people this will bring over to the side of liberty and down the rabbit hole with the rest of us tarred and feathered as tin foil hatters. Hmmmm.....Looking like some folks are getting a lesson on what government ownership of their children looks like. Now will they do something about it or just say a few chosen words and go on letting their children be state property because the cost for taking responsibility for your children during school hours is just too much for them?

Kylie
03-29-2012, 07:19 AM
Somehow I doubt that any of the school's staff will get the boot for doing the same thing

If it were my child, I would make it my goal in life to find every bad thing every single one of the admin/teacher body had ever said on the internet.

Then I'd publish it publicly. Maybe start putting up posters, especially if I found some photos of said admin in a compromising position.

Turnabout is fair play.

That school system better be glad my kids don't attend it. I would be on a mission from God to rat those fuckers out, every last one of em.

asurfaholic
03-29-2012, 07:29 AM
If it were my child, I would make it my goal in life to find every bad thing every single one of the admin/teacher body had ever said on the internet.

Then I'd publish it publicly. Maybe start putting up posters, especially if I found some photos of said admin in a compromising position.

Turnabout is fair play.

That school system better be glad my kids don't attend it. I would be on a mission from God to rat those fuckers out, every last one of em.

Win

Tod
03-29-2012, 07:29 AM

Turnabout is fair play.

I'd be inclined to visit the principal and secretly plant a bug in the office. hehehe.

Kylie
03-30-2012, 07:17 AM
I'd be inclined to visit the principal and secretly plant a bug in the office. hehehe.

When we had meetings with the school admins a few years back, I did just that. Didn't leave the recording device there, but did carry it with me and record our convo. Just in case. Come to find out, though, the principal of our school grew up with my husband so she ended up being pretty cool. She doesn't take any shit, kind of like me, so we got along fairly well.

I deleted the recording afterward, since I didn't need it and come to find out, it would have been illegal if I'd tried.