PDA

View Full Version : US military commanders could be implicated in war crimes Sgt Bales will be tried for?

moderate libertarian
03-28-2012, 04:31 PM
This is a new angle if this report is well sourced, where does the buck stop in such war crime prosecution as Bales will be tried for?

Afghan shooting spree: What did Sgt. Robert Bales's commander know?

By Anna Mulrine, Staff writer / March 28, 2012

To what extent do US military commanders bear responsibility for the bad behavior of the troops in their units?

That’s the question that Pentagon officials are grappling with in the wake of the shooting spree by an American soldier that left 17 dead, as well as the burning of Qurans by US troops earlier this month – which followed closely on the heels of revelations that US Marines, including a squad leader, had urinated on dead Taliban fighters.

“Each one of those was a result of a leadership failure in some form or another,” Gen. John Allen, the top US military commander in Afghanistan, acknowledged at a Pentagon briefing earlier this week.

How well do you know Afghanistan? A quiz.

To that end, he said he is speaking with chaplains, surgeons, and senior noncommissioned officers, “all of whom are taking the temperature, if you will” of what in military parlance is known as the “command climate” – or general state of morale and discipline – in various units.

Some wonder aloud whether the strain of repeated deployments, which could contribute to boredom or compassion fatigue or simple exhaustion – might be causing military leaders to miss or dismiss the actions of some of their soldiers. Others point out that Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, who stands accused of the shooting spree, was reportedly drinking alcohol in his quarters with other soldiers before he walked off the base and allegedly committed the murders.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2012/0328/Afghan-shooting-spree-What-did-Sgt.-Robert-Bales-s-commander-know

phill4paul
03-28-2012, 05:03 PM
The obvious failure points to POTUS. So IF we are going to hold commanders responsible for the actions of the soldiers let's start there and work our way down. The CIC knows damn well the effects protracted wars have on the soldiers on the ground. There is NO objective. Unlike WWII were it was defeat Hitler and the Emporer and you can home now it is a never ending series of redeployments with no end in sight.

seapilot
03-28-2012, 05:07 PM
IF Obummer wants to take some credit for getting rid of Oatsama he should also bear some responsibility for things like this.

moderate libertarian
03-28-2012, 05:34 PM
If buck stopped at POTUS, has there been a precedence for someone like Obama to be prosecuted for war crimes done in a foreign country?
So far, usually it's the foot soldiers who get tried unless I'm mistaken.

libertarian4321
03-29-2012, 03:33 AM
Officer's are responsible for their soldiers.

However, they will not be held responsible if this is a case where an otherwise normal soldier just went off and went crazy.

If they soldier had given clear signs that he was unstable and dangerous, and the NCO's/officers over him did nothing, then they should be held responsible, to a degree.

oyarde
03-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Officer's are responsible for their soldiers.

However, they will not be held responsible if this is a case where an otherwise normal soldier just went off and went crazy.

If they soldier had given clear signs that he was unstable and dangerous, and the NCO's/officers over him did nothing, then they should be held responsible, to a degree. Yes , I do think being this guys CO , your career is probably over . I will say only this . This guy had done three tours , had a head injury , had a foot injury , been in ten years , mostly spent @ Lewis and Iraq . He had asked for some type of different assignment , prior to be cleared for duty and sent to the Afghan , I would have tried to find him one.

moderate libertarian
04-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Yes , I do think being this guys CO , your career is probably over . I will say only this . This guy had done three tours , had a head injury , had a foot injury , been in ten years , mostly spent @ Lewis and Iraq . He had asked for some type of different assignment , prior to be cleared for duty and sent to the Afghan , I would have tried to find him one.

Good point but there maybe also issues of policy just as there was/is allegedly pressure to discourage diagnosis of PTSD.

Lishy
04-01-2012, 07:13 AM
How about the CIC be held responsible, MR OBAMA!?

moderate libertarian
04-01-2012, 07:15 AM
I could be wrong but don't think nobel peace prize winners are tried for war crimes usually and doubt if there is even such a precedence.

Domalais
04-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Yes , I do think being this guys CO , your career is probably over . I will say only this . This guy had done three tours , had a head injury , had a foot injury , been in ten years , mostly spent @ Lewis and Iraq . He had asked for some type of different assignment , prior to be cleared for duty and sent to the Afghan , I would have tried to find him one.

He wasn't deployed with his unit. He was deployed as an attachment to a special forces unit.

jdcole
04-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Such is the burden of leadership.

oyarde
04-01-2012, 11:26 AM
He wasn't deployed with his unit. He was deployed as an attachment to a special forces unit. Security for some Special Ops ? Anyway , I bet two bucks that is not the reassignment he was asking for :)

Domalais
04-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Security for some Special Ops ? Anyway , I bet two bucks that is not the reassignment he was asking for :)

Forgive me for taking the easy way out, but it's easier and safer for you to read something that someone else wrote about it than for me to explain it myself.
This is the program:
http://www.soc.mil/swcs/swmag/archive/SW2403/SW2403VillageStabilityOperations_MoreThanVillageDe fense.html