PDA

View Full Version : Getting Involved In Local Politics...

PineGroveDave
03-28-2012, 11:52 AM
...and holding these bastards accountable for their actions. During yesterday's Board of Supervisors meeting, my wife and I admonished the board on their blatant disregard for the months of work and recommendations from the Planning Dept. regarding medical marijuana cultivation. We got a small "win" but not enough of a win to care for those who cannot cultivate for themselves. We called them on it and they were....OFFENDED! Too bad motherfuckers. 3 of the 4 supes especially did not like my comment that they did not do their homework and had made up their minds anyway.

To make a long story longer, my jaw hit the floor when one of the supes made a comment that just stunned me. In fact, so much so that I just sent the following to the local paper as a "Letter To The Editor". We'll see if it gets published.

During yesterday's Board of Supervisors meeting, I was shocked to hear some of the statements made by the supervisors. You see, my wife and I spoke to the board and were very critical of them. Apparently they took umbrage with our criticisms. Tough. A note to the board...You ran for public office and got yourself elected. Deal with it. When you're a public official, you are subject to scrutiny. I, along with my wife, scrutinized you. You as public officials have the audacity to tell me and other members of the public who were present that you resented what we said? Who the hell do you think you are? Perhaps you gentlemen have forgotten that you work for us! And if we feel that you are not doing your job, you will be scrutinized and held accountable!

But let's discuss the whole “you work for us” issue, shall we?

One of the supervisors, in response to our criticisms, went on to say,

“If you think we're doing something to your rights and personal liberties, we're LETTING you come up here and speak....If you think we're violating your rights by LETTING you come to OUR board meetings, then I'd like to meet with them afterward because maybe they haven't been to many countries. They need to open their eyes and see what's going on in the world...We, as a board, are LETTING people come to these meeting.”

Another supervisor made mention that we should be thankful we don't live in another country where we wouldn't be afforded these rights. Oh really? Quite frankly, I don't care. I'm an American citizen. I was born here. I live here. It really doesn't matter how other countries conduct their affairs and it most certainly has no pertinence when it comes to the rule of law within my country. Besides, am I to suppose that the comment was made to make me aware that I should be thankful that the board is gracious enough to “grant an audience”?

Let's think about that, shall we? It's nice to know that you gentlemen are “letting” us speak. It warms my heart to know that you “let” us attend “your” meetings. What's next? The next time we attend shall we be required to address you all as “my Lords”? After all, weren't the “lords” of the past owners of large tracts of land? Did they not have others under their employ? Did their families not go back generations? Perhaps you gentlemen have lost sight of who you work for. You work for ME....not the other way around. And furthermore you do not grant me the right to attend public meetings. But don't take my word for it gentlemen; allow me to quote CAL. GOV. CODE § 54950 : California Code - Section 54950 of the Brown Act for you:

“In enacting this chapter, the Legislature finds and declares that the public commissions, boards and councils and the other public agencies in this State exist to aid in the conduct of the people's business. It is the intent of the law that their actions be taken openly and that their deliberations be conducted openly.

The people of this State do not yield their sovereignty to the agencies which serve them. The people, in delegating authority, do not give their public servants the right to decide what is good for the people to know and what is not good for them to know. The people insist on remaining informed so that they may retain control over the instruments they have created.”

Please take note of the second paragraph in the code...The people in delegating YOUR authority do not give YOU the right to decide for us what we can and cannot know, and you most certainly do not “let” us attend. How dare you! You gentlemen have already violated the Act with your “special meeting” held on 12/27/2011. I was watching the BoS calendar before and after Christmas and your special meeting was not posted. Had it been posted, you can be assured that my wife and I would have been present.

The fact that you said what you said and none of your counterparts made mention of the audacious statements speaks to me. It tells me that perhaps this is the general consensus and mindset of the board in general. Ruling Class indeed. This county is in dire need of a changing of the guard.