PDA

View Full Version : Hutaree Militia Acquitted Of Sedition Charges

angelatc
03-28-2012, 10:51 AM
http://www.freep.com/article/20120328/NEWS06/203280435/Defense-lawyers-hail-Hutaree-acquittals-as-free-speech-victory

D (http://www.freep.com/article/20120328/NEWS06/203280435/Defense-lawyers-hail-Hutaree-acquittals-as-free-speech-victory)efense calls it a victory for free speech. Unfortunately, 2 of them still face weapons charges.

Bruno
03-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Thanks for posting this, saw it earlier on Drudge and was going to do the same. Great news for the most part.

Cowlesy
03-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Too bad they won't get the two years of their lives back spent locked up in the cage.

phill4paul
03-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Too bad they won't get the two years of their lives back spent locked up in the cage.

That was my first thought. How does the state repay people that they unjustly imprison? Can a cost truly be put on such a thing?? Will their jobs still be waiting for them? Will they be able to find gainful employment following such a court case? How much money did they have to spend for representation? If they had a mortgage were they able to keep up payments or were they foreclosed on? Will they ever see again the weapons that were seized? Were relationships strained to the point of becoming irreparable?
Will they ever see the justice that they deserve?

angelatc
03-28-2012, 11:32 AM

Hopefully they can sue. The legal fees must be staggering.

The legal manuvering was interesting. It was a jury trial, but it was the judge that aquitted them. And according to the article, if she had done so earlier or later in the trial, the prosecution could have appealed. She timed this to make it permanent.

tod evans
03-28-2012, 11:36 AM
That was my first thought. How does the state repay people that they unjustly imprison? Can a cost truly be put on such a thing?? Will their jobs still be waiting for them? Will they be able to find gainful employment following such a court case? How much money did they have to spend for representation? If they had a mortgage were they able to keep up payments or were they foreclosed on? Will they ever see again the weapons that were seized? Were relationships strained to the point of becoming irreparable?
Will they ever see the justice that they deserve?

Life will never be "as it was" for any of these folks.

Since the judge in this case was so sympathetic to the defendants now is the time to file a motion requesting sanctions. If such a motion is granted it would be the footing to sue for compensation...
( It is necessary to get permission from the government to sue the government )

It's time to repeal government employee immunity and hold them responsible.

coastie
03-28-2012, 12:50 PM
U.S. District Judge Victoria Roberts said the members' expressed hatred of law enforcement didn't amount to a conspiracy to rebel against the government. The FBI had secretly planted an informant and an FBI agent inside the Hutaree militia starting in 2008 to collect hours of anti-government audio and video that became the cornerstone of the case. "The court is aware that protected speech and mere words can be sufficient to show a conspiracy. In this case, however, they do not rise to that level," the judge said on the second anniversary of raids and arrests that broke up the group.(...)

(...)The trial, which began Feb. 13, will resume Thursday with only a few gun charges remaining against militia leader David Stone and son Joshua Stone, both from Lenawee County, Mich. They have been in custody without bond for two years.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2110340,00.html#ixzz1qRH7tuwt

Not quite over for a couple of them, but a damn good start.

pcosmar
03-28-2012, 01:18 PM
U.S. District Judge Victoria Roberts said the members' expressed hatred of law enforcement didn't amount to a conspiracy to rebel against the government. The FBI had secretly planted an informant and an FBI agent inside the Hutaree militia starting in 2008 to collect hours of anti-government audio and video that became the cornerstone of the case. "The court is aware that protected speech and mere words can be sufficient to show a conspiracy. In this case, however, they do not rise to that level," the judge said on the second anniversary of raids and arrests that broke up the group.(...)

(...)The trial, which began Feb. 13, will resume Thursday with only a few gun charges remaining against militia leader David Stone and son Joshua Stone, both from Lenawee County, Mich. They have been in custody without bond for two years.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2110340,00.html#ixzz1qRH7tuwt

I went looking for the original thread on this. Couldn't find it.

2 years out of these folks life. Demonized in the media.
All manner of slander and innuendo..

:(
This is good news though.

angelatc
03-28-2012, 01:19 PM

I posted it hours ago.

coastie
03-28-2012, 01:20 PM
I posted it hours ago.

Didn't see it(and still don't), sorry.

eduardo89
03-28-2012, 01:20 PM
I posted it hours ago.

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss59/Wayne_tag/goldstar.jpg

NewRightLibertarian
03-28-2012, 01:32 PM
BOO YAH! Fuck you, Holder you treasonous piece of shit. You lose!

pcosmar
03-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Bump

phill4paul
03-28-2012, 02:18 PM
It's time to repeal government employee immunity and hold them responsible.

I agree 100%. Past time if you ask me.

AFPVet
03-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Good to hear! They were set up and railroaded from the beginning.

coastie
03-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Good to hear! They were set up and railroaded from the beginning.

Yeah, but how do you make up for two years lost? I would have lost my mind in there being locked up for two years for something I didn't do.:mad::(

tod evans
03-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Yeah, but how do you make up for two years lost? I would have lost my mind in there being locked up for two years for something I didn't do.:mad::(

There is no way to ever "make-up" for the time these folks lost, nor is there anything that can ever repair the damage done to their lives.

Every person involved in their persecution (prosecution) should be held responsible!

As far as you loosing your mind...........not likely, however you'd have emerged pissed and quite possibly harboring ill will towards those who intentionally wronged you.

AFPVet
03-28-2012, 03:47 PM

They can't ever get that time back... it's a terrible situation. The only thing you can really do is pursue civil legal action.

Anti Federalist
03-28-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm sure their outlook toward government and LE is much rosier now.

:rolleyes:

angelatc
03-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Didn't see it(and still don't), sorry.

All you had to do was search Hutaree.

jmdrake
03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
You mean the brilliant devious demonic Al Qaeda like plan to sneak into the homes of LEOs and poison their milk was deemed to be a *gasp* joke?

/sarcasm

angelatc
03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss59/Wayne_tag/goldstar.jpg

Yeah I know, but I hate double threads with a passion that far exceeds anything reasonable. I take the time to search before posting, and don't think it's too much to ask. We had a good conversation going on in the other thread. This thread killed it.

LibForestPaul
03-28-2012, 03:58 PM
The example has been made. You cross TBTB, you end up with a two year sentence, guilty or not.

tod evans
03-28-2012, 04:04 PM
The example has been made. You cross TBTB, you end up with a two year sentence, guilty or not.

Merely "detained".........nothing to see here, move on.

jmdrake
03-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Yeah I know, but I hate double threads with a passion that far exceeds anything reasonable. I take the time to search before posting, and don't think it's too much to ask. We had a good conversation going on in the other thread. This thread killed it.

I just requested a mod merge. That said there are far more Trayv....(ducking and putting on flame proof suit)

NewRightLibertarian
03-31-2012, 06:54 PM
Anyone know of how I could get into contact with these people? I am a reporter, and I want to do a story on them. An incredibly sympathetic one, of course.

hutareedefenselawyer
03-31-2012, 09:44 PM
I joined this forum just before I argued the Motion for Judgment of Acquittal on behalf of David Stone, Jr. I am elated over the judge's decision, and can reveal that I spoke with all 15 jurors (including alternates) and EVERY one was strongly "not guilty" on all major charges. Judge Roberts (a terrific judge) took David, Jr (a great kid) and his wife & 2 year-old son iinto her chambers to wish them well. Jurors came out to hug & shake hands with Jr. & other defendants. This case has been driving me for two years, because all it took was my first meeting with my client to know he was innocent. If anything, the more I learned the more outraged I became. The Hutaree were utterly screwed by over ambitious FBI agents and prosecutors. The false PR campaign put on by the FBI and the US Attorneys Office, shockingly inflated charges -- that carried up to life imprisonment (and the utterly absurd show of force during the arrests -- tanks, helicopters, & numerous swat teams rolled into tiny Clayton, Mi) was twisted to force defendants to snitch. As happy as I am about the result, I can only conclude that our government - particularly the aforementioned agencies - corruptly advanced this case. And believe me - it's not like i am inherently anti-govt: I have defended indigent clients for 20 years at local, state, & federal levels in both illinois & michigan. But this case was a foul hoax and you have not heard the end of this. My best to those people here; one of the few places I found any hope at all.

tod evans
03-31-2012, 09:51 PM
I joined this forum just before I argued the Motion for Judgment of Acquittal on behalf of David Stone, Jr. I am elated over the judge's decision, and can reveal that I spoke with all 15 jurors (including alternates) and EVERY one was strongly "not guilty" on all major charges. Judge Roberts (a terrific judge) took David, Jr (a great kid) and his wife & 2 year-old son iinto her chambers to wish them well. Jurors came out to hug & shake hands with Jr. & other defendants. This case has been driving me for two years, because all it took was my first meeting with my client to know he was innocent. If anything, the more I learned the more outraged I became. The Hutaree were utterly screwed by over ambitious FBI agents and prosecutors. The false PR campaign put on by the FBI and the US Attorneys Office, shockingly inflated charges -- that carried up to life imprisonment (and the utterly absurd show of force during the arrests -- tanks, helicopters, & numerous swat teams rolled into tiny Clayton, Mi) was twisted to force defendants to snitch. As happy as I am about the result, I can only conclude that our government - particularly the aforementioned agencies - corruptly advanced this case. And believe me - it's not like i am inherently anti-govt: I have defended indigent clients for 20 years at local, state, & federal levels in both illinois & michigan. But this case was a foul hoax and you have not heard the end of this. My best to those people here; one of the few places I found any hope at all.

Congratulations to both you and your client!

Anti Federalist
03-31-2012, 10:12 PM
Great job!

I would suggest you stick around Counselor.

If you don't "hate" government now, you will after a while, when the story of an abuse of a citizen's rights and property are posted here on a daily basis, and it becomes clear that what happened to the Huttaree is not a isolated case, but an alarming and infuriating pattern of abuse.

Anti Federalist
04-01-2012, 10:10 PM
bump

Danke
04-01-2012, 10:15 PM

Echo what AF said. Stick around.