PDA

View Full Version : Spike Lee Terror Tweet Forces Elderly Couple Out of their Home

Tyler_Durden
03-28-2012, 07:42 AM
http://nation.foxnews.com/spike-lee/2012/03/28/spike-lee-terror-tweet-forces-elderly-couple-out-their-home

Spike should be sued...

UtahApocalypse
03-28-2012, 07:45 AM
This is ridiculous. Not only should they sue for civil damages but this is criminal.

Bruno
03-28-2012, 07:47 AM
So should the guy who started the tweet.

UtahApocalypse
03-28-2012, 08:13 AM
So should the guy who started the tweet.

which was Spike Lee

Bruno
03-28-2012, 08:21 AM
which was Spike Lee

Spike retweeted it without verifying it, according to the article I read.

Dsylexic
03-28-2012, 08:29 AM
no freedom of speech? c'mon libertarians,we can do better

coastie
03-28-2012, 08:31 AM

Not when your actions result in someone's rights being violated.

Bruno
03-28-2012, 08:35 AM

"Fire! Fire!"

"I'm calling on all of my 100,000 of my followers to go kill that family or burn their house down!"

Where is the libertarian line?

Dsylexic
03-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Not when your actions result in someone's rights being violated.

imho.no.speech doesnt CAUSE action. another human being ACTED and violated someone's rights-now he may say that the speech inspired him.inspiration is not causation. my speech is not your property.this is a common misunderstanding ...speech is a subset of property rights.

Dsylexic
03-28-2012, 08:38 AM
"Fire! Fire!"

"I'm calling on all of my 100,000 of my followers to go kill that family or burn their house down!"

Where is the libertarian line?

Let me suggest a little night time reading: Walter Block's 'Defending the undefendable.free download at mises.org.
it is pretty eye opening once we go thru the 'problem' from first principles of liberty

Bruno
03-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Let me suggest a little night time reading: Walter Block's 'Defending the undefendable.free download at mises.org.
it is pretty eye opening once we go thru the 'problem' from first principles of liberty

Thanks!

jmdrake
03-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Spike shouldn't have to be sued. He should feel so bad about dragging innocent people into this that he more than pays for their damages just on general principle.

Nirvikalpa
03-28-2012, 09:01 AM
I wonder where the libertarian party/movement would be if people within it didn't make themselves look so bad...

Matthew5
03-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Good thing these vigilant celebrities are the bastion of hope for social justice...what would we do without them? :rolleyes:

cajuncocoa
03-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Spike Lee should "do the right thing" and help those people to move to another house if they feel unsafe at the address he tweeted. Idiot.

Cowlesy
03-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Spike shouldn't have to be sued. He should feel so bad about dragging innocent people into this that he more than pays for their damages just on general principle.

He should feel bad.

But he doesn't.

http://nation.foxnews.com/spike-lee/2012/03/28/spike-lee-no-comment-dangerous-trayvon-martin-tweet

And that's all anyone needs to know about Spike Lee.

roho76
03-28-2012, 11:58 AM
There's a poll on that page that "The Grinch" is winning in case anybody cares.

NewRightLibertarian
03-28-2012, 12:02 PM
I wonder where the libertarian party/movement would be if people within it didn't make themselves look so bad...

What the fuck are you rambling about?

jmdrake
03-28-2012, 12:04 PM
He should feel bad.

But he doesn't.

http://nation.foxnews.com/spike-lee/2012/03/28/spike-lee-no-comment-dangerous-trayvon-martin-tweet

Well I've felt bad about something in the past without immediately "doing the right thing" (these puns won't stop). It's possible that he's at a loss for words after doing something so incredibly stupid. It's also possible that his lawyers have advised him not to say anything. Whether this all fits into the "libertarian justice system" or not, there is possibly a cause of action here. I'm thinking harassment. It could even be libel since what Spike Lee tweeted wasn't true. Sure he thought it was true, but he was reckless in not verifying it first. Since these are not public figures no proof of malice is necessary. If I was his lawyer I'd council him to keep his mouth shut at least until we had a chance to talk to the injured parties and attempt a settlement.

Brian4Liberty
03-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Just a little collateral damage.

CaptainAmerica
03-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Inciting violence ,I think its obvious what the motive is behind posting addresses .

azxd
03-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Charles Manson predicted a race war ... But his clock is still off, because it hasn't happened, yet.

It's just another sad day in America.

azxd
03-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Inciting violence ,I think its obvious what the motive is behind posting addresses .YES, absolutely.

moo
03-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Inciting violence ,I think its obvious what the motive is behind posting addresses .

Wrong Cap. Lee posted that address to find and have Zimmerman arrested.

azxd
03-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Wrong Cap. Lee posted that address to find and have Zimmerman arrested.BS ... The police have Zimmerman's address.

This is nothing more than pointing a lynch mob in a direction.

Danke
Wrong Cap. Lee posted that address to find and have Zimmerman arrested.

Oh, a "peaceful" arrest. I see.

palm
imho.no.speech doesnt CAUSE action. another human being ACTED and violated someone's rights-now he may say that the speech inspired him.inspiration is not causation. my speech is not your property.this is a common misunderstanding ...speech is a subset of property rights.

But speech causes influence and is not inherently discernible, so one could say something like fire, fire and cause a death. Because people are trusting of warning of danger.

Also, my right to trust is my property, so where is the line. You say something you will be held accountable speech is communication, which is action.

moo
03-28-2012, 12:18 PM
BS ... The police have Zimmerman's address.

This is nothing more than pointing a lynch mob in a direction.

and the same police dept has been leaking information to criminalize and dehumanize a dead teenager just to protect 1 informant.

angelatc
03-28-2012, 12:19 PM

Our system is what it is. Maybe they do not have a legitimate right to sue. That's a topic for the philosophy column. However as it stands now, they do have a right to sue. And they should.

angelatc
03-28-2012, 12:21 PM
He should feel bad.

But he doesn't.

I think his lawyers probably told him not to comment. In a perfect world, an apology would be an act of healing. However, in the litigious world, it's an admission of guilt.

Lucille
03-28-2012, 01:07 PM
"Terror" tweet? WTH is that even supposed to mean. I am so sick of that word in every form, I could run screaming into the streets.

"My youngest son, his last name is Zimmerman and his middle name is George," said Elaine McClain. "He definitely owes a big apology. All this is really scary and it's a shame. There's no reason they put our address out there without checking to see who lived there."

Playing detective is hard. If that guy had an ounce of decency, he'd have his lawyer call them up and offer them a nice, fat settlement.

The Free Hornet
03-28-2012, 01:19 PM

Like neocons? What degree of compromise is acceptable to fit in?

It's good Spike Lee is free to make a total ass of himself. If he had to hide his asshattery behind anonymous accounts, I could be denied the knowledge that he is an asshat.