PDA

View Full Version : A problem with decentralization?

juvanya
03-27-2012, 02:12 PM
New Jersey is one of the most decentralized governments in the country. We have 500+ school boards and townships that each run their own circus. Yet expenses are out of control and this is the main reason why. If all the school boards were consolidated into counties for example, that would save probably a billion a year at least. But decentralization is thought to be better. This is an interesting paradox.

But perhaps this is assigning blame to the wrong thing. Unions are also powerful in New Jersey and perhaps they receive support and legitimacy from the state government. This would enable them to exact higher costs on towns, even if towns are trying to compete with each other to have the lowest tax bill.

RonPaulMall
03-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Yeah, the problem is with the taxing itself and of course the concept that you have any right to make me pay for your child's education. Property taxes, along with the government schools they support, both need to be abolished. Property tax is what you should go after first. Debra Medina had the right idea there. It is a popular concept, and once you get rid of property tax the state will have to use more direct, and likely to cause widespread opposition, methods to feed the beast.

Simple
03-27-2012, 03:14 PM
I watched a film about the growth of administration centers in the Jersey school system. Its just micromanagement gone wild and it's definitely not "for the children."

juvanya
03-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Yeah, the problem is with the taxing itself and of course the concept that you have any right to make me pay for your child's education. Property taxes, along with the government schools they support, both need to be abolished. Property tax is what you should go after first. Debra Medina had the right idea there. It is a popular concept, and once you get rid of property tax the state will have to use more direct, and likely to cause widespread opposition, methods to feed the beast.
Yea, Gov Christie wants to cut income taxes, but a poll said like 75% of the state wants property tax reductions. Im going to run on cutting property tax first for my state legislature bid next year. Its the most evil of the taxes, after inflation. Youre telling someone they dont own their home. Income and sales tax can be avoided. Property is difficult to avoid.