PDA

View Full Version : Basic information on becomming a delegate in California

hard@work
11-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Is anyone able to write out a comprehensive and layman outline of what the grassroots supporters have to do to become delegates in California? I've been trying to figure this out ever since I heard we had a delegate crisis going on but have been unable to.

:(

American
11-14-2007, 05:25 PM
I havent a clue either, I can and will pass this on to the local meetup groups or someone can post what needs to be done.

Eric23
11-14-2007, 08:26 PM
It all starts with contacting your GOP office in your county. Check this site out as it explains the process.

http://www3.webng.com/ronpaul/delegatestates.html

Paul4Prez
11-27-2007, 11:58 PM
The Ron Paul campaign will name 3 delegates per Congressional district. They asked for volunteers a few months ago. I volunteered for CA-48, but haven't heard back yet.

In every Congressional district that Ron Paul places first in on the Feb. 5th primary, those 3 delegates will go to the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minnesota to vote for him.

Bradley in DC
11-28-2007, 02:15 AM
It all starts with contacting your GOP office in your county. Check this site out as it explains the process.

http://www3.webng.com/rl

the information there is wrong.

edited

blujaded
11-29-2007, 01:31 PM

I was just getting ready to post that info to our meetup site. Thanks for the save; however, the question has yet to be answered. We have many people willing to be delegates in our group, but no one knows how to go about doing it. What are your suggestions?

edited

Brandybuck
11-30-2007, 01:02 AM
Delegates and alternates for each district should have already been chosen by the campaign. There was an effort on this a few months ago. The campaign has already talked to me about it. Talk to your local meetup organizer, who should have more info on your district.

firebirdnation
12-06-2007, 01:23 AM
I would like to take the next step in California and become a delegate. Has anyone looked into this? If so, can you provide some guidance?

stewie3128
12-09-2007, 06:30 AM
I would like to take the next step in California and become a delegate. Has anyone looked into this? If so, can you provide some guidance?

I became a delegate by contacting the RP campaign. They submit a list of delegates by district to the state GOP before the primary on Feb. 5th.

Go here http://www.ronpaul2008.com/contact/form and tell them you want to be a delegate.

If you don't hear back from them, PM me and I'll put you in contact with the person in charge of the CA delegates personally.

SophisticatedFarmGirl
12-18-2007, 05:58 PM
I became a delegate by contacting the RP campaign. They submit a list of delegates by district to the state GOP before the primary on Feb. 5th.

Go here http://www.ronpaul2008.com/contact/form and tell them you want to be a delegate.

If you don't hear back from them, PM me and I'll put you in contact with the person in charge of the CA delegates personally.

I just wrote them a few days ago and have already heard back.

~Del Norte County Potential Delegate!!!:D

daikonv
12-18-2007, 07:47 PM
I emailed them and they responded back asking me if I was a registered republican and I responded yes. After that, no response. I followed with 3 or 4 emails and no responses from any of those. I would like any help possible.

Winston
12-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Just wanted to bump this and let Cali know Austin,TX is wishing you the best!

xao
12-21-2007, 04:43 AM

bump

Bradley in DC
12-21-2007, 07:23 AM
I was just getting ready to post that info to our meetup site. Thanks for the save; however, the question has yet to be answered. We have many people willing to be delegates in our group, but no one knows how to go about doing it. What are your suggestions?

Unlike the popular but wrong "how to be a delegate" site, California, like most states, does not have a precinct or county or state convention but a straight primary. The Paul campaign choses its slate, or team, of "delegate candidates" to represent them at the national nominating convention. They have already finished this process in California, I'm told. The delegate slate would have had to have been submitted well in advance of the primary. We have the same system in DC, our primary is a week after yours, and we submitted ours earlier this month. They need time to verify eligibility of the names, etc.

tiffanyras
12-21-2007, 08:24 AM

edited

tiffanyras
12-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Unlike the popular but wrong "how to be a delegate" site, California, ...

That's why you need to read!
===================
You typically start at your precinct (district) convention as a delegate and work your way up to state, and finally, the RNC; But it may even be as easy as calling your Secretary of State Elections Division, signing some forms and getting signatures! Ron Paul supporters will walk through rain, snow, ice, fire, hazardous waste for this revolution so performing the aforementioned will be a cakewalk.
===================
Typically doesn't mean definitely. The site also mentions it may be as easy as getting signatures!

edited

daikonv
12-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Here's an update on my pursuit in becoming a delegate in California. I got a response from Holly (CA State Coordinator for the RP Campaign). Here it is:

Thank you for writing and thank you for offering to serve as a delegate for Ron Paul.

Here in CA, we have a primary rather than a caucus (thank goodness), a more straightforward electoral approach, and for that we can be grateful. The key in California is winning the most primary votes in each Congressional District - not even the majority, just more than the next candidate. Each CD will send 3 delegates to the Republican National Convention in Sept 2008, and the candidate who wins a particular CD will receive those delegates.

The campaign compiles a list of prospective delegates beginning in August, and finalizes and submits this list to the Republican Party by the end of this year. I have actually finalized our delegate list and submitted it, completing the process for this election cycle.

Even if you are voting via absentee ballot, so long as you are a registered Republican, you will be able to vote for Dr Paul in our CA primary. That, imo, is the most important thing you can do at this time seeing as you are not here in the state to participate as a volunteer. Not to worry. Your vote is very important and thank you.

Feel free to contact me any time.

Best regards,
Holly Clearman

Bradley in DC
12-26-2007, 11:22 PM
That's why you need to read!
===================
You typically start at your precinct (district) convention as a delegate and work your way up to state, and finally, the RNC; But it may even be as easy as calling your Secretary of State Elections Division, signing some forms and getting signatures! Ron Paul supporters will walk through rain, snow, ice, fire, hazardous waste for this revolution so performing the aforementioned will be a cakewalk.
===================
Typically doesn't mean definitely. The site also mentions it may be as easy as getting signatures!

edited

No, it does not "typically" start at your precinct, and most states do NOT have state GOP conventions.

Man from La Mancha
12-28-2007, 04:35 AM
I was contacted by phone last week by HQ to be an alternate and I asked if I could be a delegate and he said yes. He asked me if I had registered Republican, which I had. He wanted to know if I could make it in Sept. to the convention and transport myself there. Yes to all, by hook or crook I will. I hope I hear back from them. Santa Cruz, Ca

Syren123
01-15-2008, 11:11 PM
The delegate list is complete and has been submitted per the deadline of January 7th. You can view our delegate list on the SOS website.

Bender
01-16-2008, 12:21 AM
http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/election_2008/delegates/paul.pdf :)

josh24601
01-17-2008, 01:59 AM
Damn being a delegate would have rocked. Oh well.