PDA

View Full Version : Floridians, is Dr. Paul's support for opening the border to Cuba a big help?

csen
11-14-2007, 12:15 PM
I have no idea what Floridians think about the Cuba situation, but I was wondering if this would be a potential help for us. I guess the flipside is his views on immigration might turn off those same people who like his Cuba stance.

ladyliberty
11-14-2007, 12:16 PM
link? i have not heard him say this!

kylejack
11-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Probably not. Ex-patriate Cubans want the embargo maintained, generally speaking.

steph3n
11-14-2007, 12:17 PM
No it is not a good idea except in some small circles of the cuban community. However I fully agree with those minority that say it will benefit the PEOPLE more than Castro, the people in many ways are still stuck in the 50-60's era.

Duckman
11-14-2007, 12:19 PM
I live in Florida and I support ending the embargo, but I am not a member of the Cuban community. That community by and large supports the embargo. I think most people who support the embargo (whether they are Cuban or not) support it because they feel it "punishes" Castro, but the fact is the embargo has done little or nothing to change the situation in Cuba, and it has has the negative impact IMO of both hurting the Cuban people and also reinforcing the idea in the minds of Cubans that Americans hate them.

weagle
11-14-2007, 12:19 PM
No. A lot of people in S Fla really don't like Cuba. Including many that have family still there. While I agree with RP on the trade issue (it would improve thier SOL and they aren't a threat to us) it would not play well.

Goldwater Conservative
11-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Probably not. Ex-patriate Cubans want the embargo maintained, generally speaking.

The older Cubans probably feel that way, but their numbers are rapidly diminishing, although I think most of them would be sympathetic to strong border/immigration policy.

The newer Cubans probably disagree with us on borders and illegal immigration, but they might be more inclined to agree about the embargo.

kylejack
11-14-2007, 12:20 PM
The best themes for Cuban Americans are free markets and the anti-abortion stuff.

LibertyEagle
11-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Potentially ending the embargo is NOT the same thing as opening up the border to Cuba.

Your thread title is highly misleading! :(

kylejack
11-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Heh, border to Cuba is already opened up thanks to the dry feet policy. Ron Paul would probably put a stop to that.

csen
11-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Potentially ending the embargo is NOT the same thing as opening up the border to Cuba.

Your thread title is highly misleading! :(

How are the two different?

kylejack
11-14-2007, 12:28 PM
How are the two different?

One is unrestricted immigration, the other is free trade.