PDA

View Full Version : Trayvon Martin's mother files Trademark papers

Monk
03-26-2012, 04:08 PM
The mother of slain Florida teenager Trayvon Martin has filed papers seeking to trademark two slogans based on his name.

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office filings by Sybrina Fulton are for the sayings "I Am Trayvon" and "Justice For Trayvon." The applications were filed last week.

The applications say the trademarks could be used for such things as DVDs and CDs. Attorneys who filed the papers did not immediately respond Monday to emails seeking comment.

Neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman has claimed he shot the 17-year-old Martin in self-defense. Martin's family claims racial profiling was behind the killing, which has become a national racial flashpoint. Martin was black. Zimmerman's father is white and mother Hispanic.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/03/26/national/a142150D15.DTL#ixzz1qGNrEvno

azxd
03-26-2012, 04:30 PM
YES, let's make some money off the deceased :confused:

MelissaWV
03-26-2012, 04:32 PM
YES, let's make some money off the deceased :confused:

It was my first thought, but then I thought more about it. I'm not sure I would not do this. I would do it, then not use the trademarks at all. I would do it to prevent people from capitalizing on my relative's death.

I really hope that's the case, but am aware that it's likely not.

azxd
03-26-2012, 04:46 PM
It was my first thought, but then I thought more about it. I'm not sure I would not do this. I would do it, then not use the trademarks at all. I would do it to prevent people from capitalizing on my relative's death.

I really hope that's the case, but am aware that it's likely not.Kind of sad, and I agree they should do this only to block others from making money.

VoluntaryAmerican
03-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Kind of sad, and I agree they should do this only to block others from making money.

What's wrong with making money off their son's death?

If it was my son I would do the same thing and raise awareness with the money, start a charity based on his name.

phill4paul
03-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Did Martin have life insurance? Who had to pay the funeral costs? The average funeral cost can exceed $8k.

MelissaWV
03-26-2012, 04:55 PM

If it was my son I would do the same thing and raise awareness with the money, start a charity based on his name.

It's another option, true, and maybe an attorney figures they will "reserve" this as an option for the family.

It just adds another dimension to this being a really sad case.

dannno
03-26-2012, 05:01 PM

Raise money for what cause??

Martin was a gansta with a grill who reportedly attacked a neighborhood watcher unprovoked and started bashing them in the head until they decided to shoot them in self defense.

Not saying either of their actions were optimal, but if Zimmerman is telling the truth (and he has had nothing but witness corroboration so far) then he might have been legitimately defending himself, even if he should have not gone for a deadly shot.

Anti Federalist
03-26-2012, 05:04 PM

I really hope that's the case, but am aware that it's likely not.

More than likely it was one of the mule team of lawyers that I'm sure are now on the case.

phill4paul
03-26-2012, 05:36 PM
, but if Zimmerman is telling the truth (and he has had nothing but witness corroboration so far)

You mean witnesses that were led in questioning by narcotics officers and standard blue-shirts as opposed to homicide detectives?

dannno
03-26-2012, 06:18 PM
You mean witnesses that were led in questioning by narcotics officers and standard blue-shirts as opposed to homicide detectives?

Fair point, but I'm not going to prosecute Zimmerman based solely on who questioned the witnesses.

It has not been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman was NOT approached, verbally assaulted and then physically attacked by Martin with potentially deadly force. There is no evidence that Zimmerman was using anything but what could be considered legitimate self defense, even if less defense could have been effectively used.

VoluntaryAmerican
03-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Raise money for what cause??Martin was a gansta with a grill who reportedly attacked a neighborhood watcher unprovoked and started bashing them in the head until they decided to shoot them in self defense.

Not saying either of their actions were optimal, but if Zimmerman is telling the truth (and he has had nothing but witness corroboration so far) then he might have been legitimately defending himself, even if he should have not gone for a deadly shot.

My hypothetical dead son's cause?

Lol

V3n
03-27-2012, 06:03 AM
Fair point, but I'm not going to prosecute Zimmerman based solely on who questioned the witnesses.

It has not been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman was NOT approached, verbally assaulted and then physically attacked by Martin with potentially deadly force. There is no evidence that Zimmerman was using anything but what could be considered legitimate self defense, even if less defense could have been effectively used.

I like the way you worded that. Compelling.

iGGz
03-27-2012, 06:09 PM
[[]]