PDA

View Full Version : Geraldo Rivera: Hoodie Wearers a “Menace,” Possible Murderers

John F Kennedy III
03-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Geraldo Rivera: Hoodie Wearers a “Menace,” Possible Murderers

Trayvon Martin
Raw Story
March 23, 201

Fox News host Geraldo Rivera thinks he knows who or what is to blame for the slaying of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin: the hoodie did it.

Appearing on Fox News early Friday morning, Rivera conceded that George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch captain who shot Martin, should be investigated, but he urged black and Latino parents to not allow their children to wear hooded sweatshirts.

“I think the hoodie is as much responsible for Trayvon Martin’s death as George Zimmerman was,” the host ranted. “You have to recognize that this whole stylizing yourself as a gangsta — you’re going to be a gangsta wannabe, well people are going to perceive you as a menace. That’s what happens. It is an instant, reflexive action.”

Read more (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/23/geraldo-rivera-hoodie-allowed-zimmerman-to-kill-martin/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29)

John F Kennedy III
03-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Obama Shamelessly Exploits Death of Trayvon Martin

Kurt Nimmo
Infowars.com
March 23, 2012

Obama has exploited the tragic and fatal shooting of teenager Trayvon Martin, who was shot by a neighborhood watch captain in a Florida gated community targeted in numerous burglaries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueWsjzbwOxQ&feature=player_embedded

rest of article here:
http://www.infowars.com/obama-shamelessly-exploits-death-of-trayvon-martin/

Bern
03-26-2012, 01:39 PM
lol. My 12 yo son likes hoodies. He's neither a menace nor a possible murderer. He just likes to be warm.

HOLLYWOOD
03-26-2012, 01:47 PM
I can't stand these propaganda puppets that push the agenda of their paycheck signators. I spent 5 hours on a flight sitting next to Geraldo... just a narcissistic asshole.

kahless
03-26-2012, 02:35 PM
lol. My 12 yo son likes hoodies. He's neither a menace nor a possible murderer. He just likes to be warm.

Give it a few years and add height and weight then trouble will find him. Just like a woman going out dressing like a prostitute is going to be subject to unwanted advances or worse.

It is common sense. I have to agree with Geraldo on this one.

jkr
03-26-2012, 02:49 PM
so this guy:
http://rustylion.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/309547_2538116332945_1254745068_33099786_861027132 _n-300x225.jpg

beat these guys:

http://www.trainbodyandmind.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Rocky-and-Apollo-02.jpg
http://www.trainbodyandmind.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Rocky-and-Mr.T-04.jpg
http://www.gordtep.com/files/2009/10/rocky4.jpg

but THIS GUY:\

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/photos/2009/janet-napolitano.jpg

WILL declare him a terror-us.

;)

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure

MelissaWV
03-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Give it a few years and add height and weight then trouble will find him. Just like a woman going out dressing like a prostitute is going to be subject to unwanted advances or worse.

"Going out in the rain?"
"Yeah mom"
"And you're going to buy some stuff at the store that easily fits into pockets?"
"Yeah"
"Well for pity's sake don't wear a hoodie."

Really?

Oh and before you say "he could have used an umbrella and taken a backpack," we all know backpacks at night are even more suspicious. You never know what's in there.

TeaPartyHistorian
03-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Meh, I see what Geraldo is getting at, and he kind of sort of has a point, but it's definitely mistargeted. Certain clothing does make people look more menacing - but a hoodie doesn't really fall in that category. The hoodie may have hidden the kid's feeble frame and made him look more intimidating to the rent-a-cop than he really was, but that's just grasping for straws.

moostraks
03-26-2012, 04:15 PM
This is so infuriating to me. Try living in a climate where you have to remove the stupid hat before you even make it in the door of an establishment no matter how misreable the weather. I guess we can now wait for homeland security to tell us what appropriate attire we may now be allowed to don in this free society of ours so we don't scare the FOX newsies? The older I get the more I can't stand the view of how we should look based upon others perception of us.

kahless
03-26-2012, 04:25 PM
"Going out in the rain?"
"Yeah mom"
"And you're going to buy some stuff at the store that easily fits into pockets?"
"Yeah"
"Well for pity's sake don't wear a hoodie."

Really?

Oh and before you say "he could have used an umbrella and taken a backpack," we all know backpacks at night are even more suspicious. You never know what's in there.

I am waiting for all the facts to come out before I pass judgement on this case. But can say this hoodie propaganda is ridiculous. Underlined above is what I would tell my kid. I would have them wear a hood or hoodie in such a way that does not make them look like they are a gangsta to keep them out of unintended trouble.

You are going to deny that worn a certain way it appears the person is of a criminal element, oh please. What is next, saying that it is safe to wear gang colors in the rival gang colored neighborhood and then be shocked that someone would provoke a fight with me?

This new attitude about hoodies is only going to get people into trusting people they should not.

kahless
03-26-2012, 04:28 PM
This is so infuriating to me. Try living in a climate where you have to remove the stupid hat before you even make it in the door of an establishment no matter how misreable the weather. I guess we can now wait for homeland security to tell us what appropriate attire we may now be allowed to don in this free society of ours so we don't scare the FOX newsies? The older I get the more I can't stand the view of how we should look based upon others perception of us.

I have yet to hear anyone at Foxnews seek head cover regulation. Perception is a fact of life no matter what society you live in. If you intentionally dress in a manner where it scares the society you live in then you can expect unintended consequences.

MelissaWV
03-26-2012, 04:31 PM
I have yet to hear anyone at Foxnews seek head cover regulation. Perception is a fact of life no matter what society you live in. If you intentionally dress in a manner where it scares the society you live in then you can expect unintended consequences.

Like if you're wearing, for instance, a head scarf... or if you are wearing a trenchcoat... or a backpack and it's at night... or a ski mask even when it's cold...

azxd
03-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Obama Shamelessly Exploits Death of Trayvon Martin

Kurt Nimmo
Infowars.com
March 23, 2012

Obama has exploited the tragic and fatal shooting of teenager Trayvon Martin, who was shot by a neighborhood watch captain in a Florida gated community targeted in numerous burglaries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueWsjzbwOxQ&feature=player_embedded

rest of article here:
http://www.infowars.com/obama-shamelessly-exploits-death-of-trayvon-martin/I wish he'd just declare Martial Law and stop shoving the Federal government into every situation he can.
It would be much easier to understand, if we all knew that State and local government had no purpose, anymore, and this is his country, not ours.

azxd
03-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Meh, I see what Geraldo is getting at, and he kind of sort of has a point, but it's definitely mistargeted. Certain clothing does make people look more menacing - but a hoodie doesn't really fall in that category. The hoodie may have hidden the kid's feeble frame and made him look more intimidating to the rent-a-cop than he really was, but that's just grasping for straws.It's about as valid as a black rifle being more evil than another color.

aGameOfThrones
03-26-2012, 04:43 PM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lydctyzsVb1qz5ew6o1_500.jpg

specsaregood
03-26-2012, 04:48 PM
+rep to the first person to post a pic of geraldo's son wearing a hoodie.

moostraks
03-26-2012, 04:48 PM

Geraldo is a FOX news correspondent. By blaming the clothing he is looking to intimidate people from wearing what others deem scary and worthy of violence to their person because of perceived fears. A hoodie is not inherently evil. It is an article of protective gear especially for those with cold natures and short hair. I find those dressed to impress much more obnoxious and threatening than those in the 'hood. I know their(dressed to impress) penchant for using the system to annihilate those who are "different".

Death should not be seen as an unintended consequence for someone dressing differently from those with whom you usually associate with and it is pretty sad you would state it so nonchalantly as that. Dress intentionally to scare society? It is a protective garment. Shall those in the 'hood be allowed to shoot anyone in suit coats because they are clearly a threat to their well being??? Who shall be the judge of what fashion is acceptable? Do we now need a clothing czar? Good grief...

kahless
03-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Like if you're wearing, for instance, a head scarf... or if you are wearing a trenchcoat... or a backpack and it's at night... or a ski mask even when it's cold...

If I am dressed in an unusual manner in a neighborhood that would arise suspicion then I can expect problems. The same goes for any society. That is life and the nature of human beings. I am not saying people that do so deserved to be harmed. I am saying they are risking their safety.

kahless
03-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Geraldo is a FOX news correspondent. By blaming the clothing he is looking to intimidate people from wearing what others deem scary and worthy of violence to their person because of perceived fears. A hoodie is not inherently evil. It is an article of protective gear especially for those with cold natures and short hair. I find those dressed to impress much more obnoxious and threatening than those in the 'hood. I know their(dressed to impress) penchant for using the system to annihilate those who are "different".

Death should not be seen as an unintended consequence for someone dressing differently from those with whom you usually associate with and it is pretty sad you would state it so nonchalantly as that. Dress intentionally to scare society? It is a protective garment. Shall those in the 'hood be allowed to shoot anyone in suit coats because they are clearly a threat to their well being??? Who shall be the judge of what fashion is acceptable? Do we now need a clothing czar? Good grief...

I am not saying that at all. Young people in particular wear the hood in a manner since they want to appear as part of a gang. Teenagers and young people have been doing this as far back as I can remember. It is a safety risk to do so.

I do make the rules of this world and neither does Geraldo. It is just the way the world is and it is ignorant of you deny the way this world works. You can continue to do so or promote others to do so you put yourself and others at risk by those that will seek to harm you because of it. It is the nature of human beings in all societies.

8ClicksPerSecond
03-26-2012, 05:08 PM
http://blog.livenewschat.tv/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Foxs-Geraldo-Rivera-Hoodie-To-Blame-For-Trayvon-Martins-Death.jpg

aGameOfThrones
03-26-2012, 05:09 PM
http://cutebabiesphotos.com/upload/2550-3620/baby-girl-hoodie.jpg

anaconda
03-26-2012, 05:13 PM

Are we talking about a sweatshirt with a hood attached? I believe this style garment goes way back before any of these people existed. Why should I let a group of punks dictate what I can wear?

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/129/341656776_5e49ea1bcc_z.jpg?zz=1

moostraks
03-26-2012, 05:21 PM
I am not saying that at all. Young people in particular wear the hood in a manner since they want to appear as part of a gang. Teenagers and young people have been doing this as far back as I can remember. It is a safety risk to do so.

I do make the rules of this world and neither does Geraldo. It is just the way the world is and it is ignorant of you deny the way this world works. You can continue to do so or promote others to do so you put yourself and others at risk by those that will seek to harm you because of it. It is the nature of human beings in all societies.

Yeah it would be ignorant to try a change society to be more tolerant of others./s

Your sweeping generalizations about youth are your personal bias and not examples of my experiences. Some young people are not part of mainstream culture and own these articles of clothing and should not be subjected to the fringe paranoid crowd that think shooting someone because they are different is merely an unintended consequence for which the victim should be blamed. You are the one who framed your initial response that way and it shows a mindset that feels entitled to make life and death judgement calls based solely on the article of clothing they wear. Would this be a legitimate argument if a man in a suitcoat came to a poor neighborhood and was shot? No...

I guess you would be okay with shooting women in burqas too? Should they just know better than to honor their religious traditions because some FOX type is afraid of them? Who should draw the line as to acceptable attire?

kahless
03-26-2012, 05:21 PM
A sweatshirt with a hood attached? This goes way back before any of these people existed. Plenty of photos of athletes in the early to mid 20th century wearing them. Boxers, etc.

Depends on the type of hood, how it is worn and age of the person. You want to take the risk in the wrong neighborhood I do not see how Geraldo or Foxnews is limiting you freedom take that risk to your safety.

I corrected your reply below.

Why do young people let a group of punks dictate what they wear.

kahless
03-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Yeah it would be ignorant to try a change society to be more tolerant of others./s

Your sweeping generalizations about youth are your personal bias and not examples of my experiences. Some young people are not part of mainstream culture and own these articles of clothing and should not be subjected to the fringe paranoid crowd that think shooting someone because they are different is merely an unintended consequence for which the victim should be blamed. You are the one who framed your initial response that way and it shows a mindset that feels entitled to make life and death judgement calls based solely on the article of clothing they wear. Would this be a legitimate argument if a man in a suitcoat came to a poor neighborhood and was shot? No...

I guess you would be okay with shooting women in burqas too? Should they just know better than to honor their religious traditions because some FOX type is afraid of them? Who should draw the line as to acceptable attire?

If I made any sweeping generalizations it was unintentional to label all youths as dressing like gangsters intentionally. If you believe I think that way you only confirm my position that there are people out there that hold such beliefs that will put others who dress in that manner at risk.

I do not condone shooting others based on their clothing. That is just ridiculous, and believe you are so outraged about this case you cannot post rationally.

MelissaWV
03-26-2012, 05:34 PM
I missed the part where it was proven with any sort of evidence that murderers are more likely to wear hoodies than non-murderers.

anaconda
03-26-2012, 05:38 PM
I corrected your reply below.

I don't follow. How is this "corrected?"

kahless
03-26-2012, 05:39 PM
I missed the part where it was proven with any sort of evidence that murderers are more likely to wear hoodies than non-murderers.

It would not surprise me as part of criminal research profiling and training.

btw - Just to be clear, I do not condone shooting people because of the way they are dressed. I am saying if you dress the part you risk having to play the part. If you do not want to risk your safety then do not do it.

kahless
03-26-2012, 05:43 PM
I don't follow. How is this "corrected?"

"Why do some young people let a group of punks dictate what they wear." I corrected it further so moostraks does not believe I am labeling all youths as doing so however it is quite popular to do so.

Young adults and teenagers that like to emulate gangsters, gansta rappers, etc.

aGameOfThrones
03-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Anyone who wears a Suit is a gangster because gangsters wear Suits

See...

http://www.museumsyndicate.com/images/6/50139.jpg

cajuncocoa
03-26-2012, 06:05 PM

That's nonsense. My son is 23 years old (and a very conservative Ron Paul supporter) He wears hooded sweatshirts all the time. Trouble has not found him, and he has not found it.

kahless
03-26-2012, 07:30 PM
That's nonsense. My son is 23 years old (and a very conservative Ron Paul supporter) He wears hooded sweatshirts all the time. Trouble has not found him, and he has not found it.

I should have said "could" rather than "will". The risk to his safety increases depending on the neighborhood he visits, the way he carries himself, his age and stature, the type of hood, how he wears it, when he wears it, etc.

Just to point out I am just speaking of hoodies in general and none of my comments are related to this particular case since I am waiting for all the facts to come out before commenting.

John F Kennedy III
03-26-2012, 08:15 PM
http://blog.livenewschat.tv/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Foxs-Geraldo-Rivera-Hoodie-To-Blame-For-Trayvon-Martins-Death.jpg

Haha.

+rep

MelissaWV
03-26-2012, 08:17 PM
That hoodie-wearing mustache-sporting jerk looks GANGSTA right there...

moostraks
03-26-2012, 08:19 PM
If I made any sweeping generalizations it was unintentional to label all youths as dressing like gangsters intentionally. If you believe I think that way you only confirm my position that there are people out there that hold such beliefs that will put others who dress in that manner at risk.

I do not condone shooting others based on their clothing. That is just ridiculous, and believe you are so outraged about this case you cannot post rationally.

You framed your responses to be read as such. So you frame your response and then when I address your response you say based upon my reaction to your response your position is valid? Well that there is some self fulfilling prophecy.

You also make sweeping judgements on people based on your perception of their life experiences too since you are projecting upon me that my reaction has to do with my "outrage" so I "cannot post rationally". Was it not enough that you have already called me ignorant so now I am irrational too. All this because I have contempt for those who, like you think, it is the victim's fault when someone allows their biases to cloud their judgement and then moralizes to others how they should be catered to rather than ostracized for their repugnant and dangerous beliefs. Again should burqa wearers not honor their faith because of the FOX fear propaganda that they are all terrorists?

Do you think maybe I have some life experiences where my family was treated with "contempt" because we were different and that that may be why I find your defense of this type of dangerous and illegitimate belief so offensive? No, I guess you just find it easier to pigeonhole me much as you do those gangsta hoodie wearers...

John F Kennedy III
03-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Anyone who wears a Suit is a gangster because gangsters wear Suits

See...

http://www.museumsyndicate.com/images/6/50139.jpg

At least he is honest about it.

John F Kennedy III
03-26-2012, 08:31 PM
I should have said "could" rather than "will". The risk to his safety increases depending on the neighborhood he visits, the way he carries himself, his age and stature, the type of hood, how he wears it, when he wears it, etc.

Just to point out I am just speaking of hoodies in general and none of my comments are related to this particular case since I am waiting for all the facts to come out before commenting.

Sad but true.

kahless
03-26-2012, 08:55 PM
You framed your responses to be read as such. So you frame your response and then when I address your response you say based upon my reaction to your response your position is valid? Well that there is some self fulfilling prophecy.

You also make sweeping judgements on people based on your perception of their life experiences too since you are projecting upon me that my reaction has to do with my "outrage" so I "cannot post rationally". Was it not enough that you have already called me ignorant so now I am irrational too. All this because I have contempt for those who, like you think, it is the victim's fault when someone allows their biases to cloud their judgement and then moralizes to others how they should be catered to rather than ostracized for their repugnant and dangerous beliefs. Again should burqa wearers not honor their faith because of the FOX fear propaganda that they are all terrorists?

Do you think maybe I have some life experiences where my family was treated with "contempt" because we were different and that that may be why I find your defense of this type of dangerous and illegitimate belief so offensive? No, I guess you just find it easier to pigeonhole me much as you do those gangsta hoodie wearers...

This is what I wrote prior to your reply to me.

I would have them wear a hood or hoodie in such a way that does not make them look like they are a gangsta to keep them out of unintended trouble.

If I am dressed in an unusual manner in a neighborhood that would arise suspicion then I can expect problems. The same goes for any society. That is life and the nature of human beings. I am not saying people that do so deserved to be harmed. I am saying they are risking their safety.

My first reply to you.

Perception is a fact of life no matter what society you live in. If you intentionally dress in a manner where it scares the society you live in then you can expect unintended consequences.

I find your reply below repugnant to my beliefs and mis-characterization to what I posted.

moostraks
03-26-2012, 09:39 PM
This is what I wrote prior to your reply to me.

My first reply to you.

I find your reply below repugnant to my beliefs and mis-characterization to what I posted.

I took your post at face value. I responded as such. There is no mis-characterization. You only later added you did not believe they deserved to be harmed but that is what you think they should expect by your reasoning. I find your beliefs repulsive. You claim that someone is "dressing in a manner where it scares the society you live in then you can expect unintended consequences" because they are "young" and "want to appear as part of a gang". You couldn't get my motivation right for why I find your stance so repugnant and yet you think you can know why a young person wears a hoodie. Your responses are presumptuous and cavalier. I am not exactly sure how one could wear a hoodie to appear less threatening unless it were to not be used over ones head? It is a garment. The purpose of the hood is to protect ones head. Death is not just a mere unintended consequence, but the willful actions of one allowing their paranoid delusions to overwhelm their sensibilities and to continue to dig your heels in to claim it is a legitimate response because "is just the way the world is" does not make yours any less bankrupt a position.

Should a well dressed person dress down for the poor neighborhood? Should the women drop the burqa because of fear propaganda? Or should we inspire people to raise above their fears and not demand others to be a mirror image of ourselves?

kahless
03-26-2012, 10:10 PM
I took your post at face value. I responded as such. There is no mis-characterization. You only later added you did not believe they deserved to be harmed but that is what you think they should expect by your reasoning. I find your beliefs repulsive. You claim that someone is "dressing in a manner where it scares the society you live in then you can expect unintended consequences" because they are "young" and "want to appear as part of a gang". You couldn't get my motivation right for why I find your stance so repugnant and yet you think you can know why a young person wears a hoodie. Your responses are presumptuous and cavalier. I am not exactly sure how one could wear a hoodie to appear less threatening unless it were to not be used over ones head? It is a garment. The purpose of the hood is to protect ones head. Death is not just a mere unintended consequence, but the willful actions of one allowing their paranoid delusions to overwhelm their sensibilities and to continue to dig your heels in to claim it is a legitimate response because "is just the way the world is" does not make yours any less bankrupt a position.

Should a well dressed person dress down for the poor neighborhood? Should the women drop the burqa because of fear propaganda? Or should we inspire people to raise above their fears and not demand others to be a mirror image of ourselves?

Like I said it is the nature of human beings. I did not make the world this way, but you continue want to blame me for human perception and the reality of the world we live in.

I stand by my post. If you dress the part you may be forced to play the part. That is the reality of the world we live in.

Should a well dressed person dress down for the poor neighborhood?

If the poor neighborhood is a high crime area then yes, if you value your safety. Do not openly expose your expensive jewelry and wear your pocket book over an opposing shoulder. Common sense.

Should the women drop the burqa because of fear propaganda?

There are neighborhoods it would be wise to avoid unless you want to take on racist people that want to harm you. Common sense.

Or should we inspire people to raise above their fears and not demand others to be a mirror image of ourselves?

Doing so on your own and risking your life is just plain stupid. Doing so as a protest with others, yes. Again, common sense.

fr33
03-26-2012, 10:43 PM
I raged when I heard Jerry Rivers say this. The fact is it isn't the hoodie he suspects it's the race. He even qualified it by saying blacks and latinos should dress a certain way. Ohhhh so us king whites can dress however we want while judging the others... Hooded jackets have been around since ancient times.

moostraks
03-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Like I said it is the nature of human beings. I did not make the world this way, but you continue want to blame me for human perception and the reality of the world we live in.

I stand by my post. If you dress the part you may be forced to play the part. That is the reality of the world we live in.

If the poor neighborhood is a high crime area then yes, if you value your safety. Do not openly expose your expensive jewelry and wear your pocket book over an opposing shoulder. Common sense.

There are neighborhoods it would be wise to avoid unless you want to take on racist people that want to harm you. Common sense.

Doing so on your own and risking your life is just plain stupid. Doing so as a protest with others, yes. Again, common sense.

The question of the well dressed is should the poor be excused for violence because of the wearer's coat. Not because they want to rob the wearer but because people who wear expensive items are those who abuse their authority and/or connections and threaten the poor's safety.

You have so many stereotypes flowing here it is just sad. So what type of neighborhood does a burqa racist live in? How would one go about knowing this? This is just as inane as a hoodie being worn inappropriately. I am still trying to puzzle the proper way to wear the hoodie.

Stand by your posts all you want I think your position is wrongheaded. Just because some things exist doesn't mean it is ignorant or irrational to want to change the status quo. An entire group of people was virtually annihilated to create this nation because of the type of hatred your posts have been giving cover for and some of us whose ancestors died have not forgotten. Some of us have faced personal persecution because of our religious choices that include a call to an outward demonstration of an inward choice. Again the problems we faced were because of the irrational fears of others that were given the type of cover such as you and Geraldo give to the paranoid fringe.

As for inspiring people to rise above their fears and you thinking it is stupid unless done with others..It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. The fact that you think one should inspire people to embrace individuality by a group approach is just...bizarre. In a bankrupt society I guess it is becoming too much to ask people to walk a mile in another man's shoes before passing judgement or to expect that abusive people should be held accoountable for their own actions.

kahless
03-27-2012, 12:28 AM
The question of the well dressed is should the poor be excused for violence because of the wearer's coat. Not because they want to rob the wearer but because people who wear expensive items are those who abuse their authority and/or connections and threaten the poor's safety.

You have so many stereotypes flowing here it is just sad. So what type of neighborhood does a burqa racist live in? How would one go about knowing this? This is just as inane as a hoodie being worn inappropriately. I am still trying to puzzle the proper way to wear the hoodie.

Stand by your posts all you want I think your position is wrongheaded. Just because some things exist doesn't mean it is ignorant or irrational to want to change the status quo. An entire group of people was virtually annihilated to create this nation because of the type of hatred your posts have been giving cover for and some of us whose ancestors died have not forgotten. Some of us have faced personal persecution because of our religious choices that include a call to an outward demonstration of an inward choice. Again the problems we faced were because of the irrational fears of others that were given the type of cover such as you and Geraldo give to the paranoid fringe.

You are completely delusional if you get that out of what I posted. I do not hate anyone and there is no hatred in my posts. I am just stating human perception and behavior. I do not see anything wrong with you trying to change perception of people that falsely stereotype people if the particular type of clothing and behavior is not indicated as part of gang or criminal culture.

You are not going to get very far saying it okay to wear whatever you want and that there will never be any consequences of that. It is just not how the world - human nature works. Wearing a burqa alone in a neighborhood known for skin head activity would not be a wise decision. Just like if a woman who walks the streets of a busy city scantily clad may receive unwanted advances, get her ass grabbed or worse. Walking into a bank with a ski mask you maybe mistaken for a criminal and someone who is trigger happy may take you out. Get it?

As for inspiring people to rise above their fears and you thinking it is stupid unless done with others..It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. The fact that you think one should inspire people to embrace individuality by a group approach is just...bizarre. In a bankrupt society I guess it is becoming too much to ask people to walk a mile in another man's shoes before passing judgement or to expect that abusive people should be held accoountable for their own actions.

Going into a high crime area and not taking precautions in how you behave or dress is foolish. Safety in numbers. Your quote above is completely irrelevant to what I posted.

moostraks
03-27-2012, 06:02 AM
You are completely delusional if you get that out of what I posted. I do not hate anyone and there is no hatred in my posts. I am just stating human perception and behavior. I do not see anything wrong with you trying to change perception of people that falsely stereotype people if the particular type of clothing and behavior is not indicated as part of gang or criminal culture.

You are not going to get very far saying it okay to wear whatever you want and that there will never be any consequences of that. It is just not how the world - human nature works. Wearing a burqa alone in a neighborhood known for skin head activity would not be a wise decision. Just like if a woman who walks the streets of a busy city scantily clad may receive unwanted advances, get her ass grabbed or worse. Walking into a bank with a ski mask you maybe mistaken for a criminal and someone who is trigger happy may take you out. Get it?

Going into a high crime area and not taking precautions in how you behave or dress is foolish. Safety in numbers. Your quote above is completely irrelevant to what I posted.

Aah now I have climbed the ranks to delusional. I didn't say you hated people I said your position provides cover for those who hate.Good reading comprehension truly is becoming a lost art I believe. I think you are standing by a contemptible position by blaming the victim. Many of the deepest set hatreds are held by those who look so called "normal" and live in the "middle class" neighborhoods. Santorum's blah video is perfect evidence of this.

SO I will repeat so you understand me clearly, "I have contempt for those who, like you think, it is the victim's fault when someone allows their biases to cloud their judgement and then moralizes to others how they should be catered to rather than ostracized for their repugnant and dangerous beliefs..."Abusive people are pathetic cowards lacking character and should be called out for their beliefs and behavior.

kahless
03-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Aah now I have climbed the ranks to delusional. I didn't say you hated people I said your position provides cover for those who hate.Good reading comprehension truly is becoming a lost art I believe. I think you are standing by a contemptible position by blaming the victim. Many of the deepest set hatreds are held by those who look so called "normal" and live in the "middle class" neighborhoods. Santorum's blah video is perfect evidence of this.

SO I will repeat so you understand me clearly, "I have contempt for those who, like you think, it is the victim's fault when someone allows their biases to cloud their judgement and then moralizes to others how they should be catered to rather than ostracized for their repugnant and dangerous beliefs..."Abusive people are pathetic cowards lacking character and should be called out for their beliefs and behavior.

I do not blame the victim, again see underlined quotes below. How many times do I have to say it. The fact you keep claiming I am stating otherwise tells me that you are so outraged you cannot post rationally or are delusional.

I am saying it is a safety risk to behave and dress in a manner that scares the crap out of people.

I would have them wear a hood or hoodie in such a way that does not make them look like they are a gangsta to keep them out of unintended trouble.

Just to be clear, I do not condone shooting people because of the way they are dressed. I am saying if you dress the part you risk having to play the part. If you do not want to risk your safety then do not do it.

The risk to his safety increases depending on the neighborhood he visits, the way he carries himself, his age and stature, the type of hood, how he wears it, when he wears it, etc..

moostraks
03-27-2012, 10:22 AM

You are going to deny that worn a certain way it appears the person is of a criminal element, oh please. What is next, saying that it is safe to wear gang colors in the rival gang colored neighborhood and then be shocked that someone would provoke a fight with me?

Perception is a fact of life no matter what society you live in. If you intentionally dress in a manner where it scares the society you live in then you can expect unintended consequences.

If I am dressed in an unusual manner in a neighborhood that would arise suspicion then I can expect problems. The same goes for any society. That is life and the nature of human beings.

It is just the way the world is and it is ignorant of you deny the way this world works. You can continue to do so or promote others to do so you put yourself and others at risk by those that will seek to harm you because of it. It is the nature of human beings in all societies.

Depends on the type of hood, how it is worn and age of the person. You want to take the risk in the wrong neighborhood I do not see how Geraldo or Foxnews is limiting you freedom take that risk to your safety.

I do not blame the victim, again see underlined quotes below. How many times do I have to say it. The fact you keep claiming I am stating otherwise tells me that you are so outraged you cannot post rationally or are delusional.

I am saying it is a safety risk to behave and dress in a manner that scares the crap out of people.

See the above quotes... It is called blame shifting. I am not irrational or delusional save your comments for someone who can be manipulated by your viscious, disparaging commentary. You are part of the problem when you tacitly condone abuse and violence because people do not comply with indulging the needs of the abusive and the violent. No one is entitled to attack another person because they look different. No matter how hard a victim tries to comply there will always be a higher bar expected by those who blame shift. The problem is not the victim but those who do not practice self control. This goes for those who you think should expect to be raped to those you think should expect to be physically harmed because they did not comply with another person's subjective dress code.

The safety risk is not the victim's fault but the responsibility of those who commit an act of violence upon another because they look different from what the violent person normally associates with...

oyarde
03-27-2012, 10:31 AM
I agree ,Geraldo would look scary in a hoodie .

kahless
03-27-2012, 10:57 AM
See the above quotes... It is called blame shifting.

Not blaming anyone. I stated a fact of life and your replies only confirm there are people like that out there whom you must take safety precautions in order to protect yourself from harm.

I am not irrational or delusional save your comments for someone who can be manipulated by your viscious, disparaging commentary. You are part of the problem when you tacitly condone abuse and violence because people do not comply with indulging the needs of the abusive and the violent.

I NEVER condoned abuse and violence. This is why I believe you are delusional since you keep ignoring my repeated posts which state: "I am not saying people that do so deserved to be harmed. I am saying they are risking their safety...." because people will harm them if they do not take safety precautions. Big difference, but of course you selectively removed those comments from some of my quotes.

No one is entitled to attack another person because they look different

I agree. It is a sad fact of life that there are people whom will which is the point I was making to protect yourself from those people.

No matter how hard a victim tries to comply there will always be a higher bar expected by those who blame shift. The problem is not the victim but those who do not practice self control.

I agree.

This goes for those who you think should expect to be raped to those you think should expect to be physically harmed because they did not comply with another person's subjective dress code.

Of course they should not be raped. I do not think that at all and was pretty clear to state otherwise. The reality is a scantily clad woman in a high crime area puts her safety at higher risk if she chooses to do so. I am not saying it is right but that is the reality of the world we live in.

The safety risk is not the victim's fault but the responsibility of those who commit an act of violence upon another because they look different from what the violent person normally associates with...

So you agree with me that it is not the victims fault but you intentionally mis-characterize all my posts as stating the opposite. It a person uses common sense by not strolling through a crime ridden area with expensive jewelery showing or dressing like a gang member they can avoid becoming a victim.

John F Kennedy III
03-27-2012, 11:08 AM
You two need to get a room :p

moostraks
03-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Not blaming anyone. I stated a fact of life and your replies only confirm there are people like that out there whom you must take safety precautions in order to protect yourself from harm.

I NEVER condoned abuse and violence. This is why I believe you are delusional since you keep ignoring my repeated posts which state: "I am not saying people that do so deserved to be harmed. I am saying they are risking their safety...." because people will harm them if they do not take safety precautions. Big difference, but of course you selectively removed those comments from some of my quotes.

I agree. It is a sad fact of life that there are people whom will which is the point I was making to protect yourself from those people.

I agree.

Of course they should not be raped. I do not think that at all and was pretty clear to state otherwise. The reality is a scantily clad woman in a high crime area puts her safety at higher risk if she chooses to do so. I am not saying it is right but that is the reality of the world we live in.

So you agree with me that it is not the victims fault but you intentionally mis-characterize all my posts as stating the opposite. It a person uses common sense by not strolling through a crime ridden area with expensive jewelery showing or dressing like a gang member they can avoid becoming a victim.

You are not saying they deserve to be harmed, no. I get that and have not stated you said it expressly once you clarified your oh so fine line you are walking on the issue...Your position that others should comply to self sensor according to some subjective opinion of attire tacitly condones that there is merit to this argument therefore one must comply or they should expect to be harmed. Blame shifting does not make this a valid argument. It is the crux of the problem and by acting as if it is a valid argument you are part of the problem. It is a hallmark tactic of abusive people.

The fact that you sum up you position by stating that if a victim does not do x then they can avoid being a victim is nonsense and is victim blaming. Abusive people abuse. The standards will just shift. Again, I am not mis-characterizing anything, I am pointing out which part of your statements imply this victim blaming and you seem incapable of seeing this. This is your problem, not mine.

There is a world of difference between saying that one should not walk through the projects dripping with jewelery to stating that I should constantly assess every garment I have according to what person may harbor some subconscious fear and wish to inflict bodily harm. You don't get it. The most dangerous people in possession of this ideology that a hoodie means they are a gangsta or a burqa means terrorist are in every race and social group. The only way to comply is to try and have some standard with no deviations. How is this a postion of anyone who supports liberty? It is completely tyrannical group think.

moostraks
03-27-2012, 11:58 AM
:p Already did my time with people like kahless thanks!
You two need to get a room :p

kahless
03-27-2012, 12:35 PM
You are not saying they deserve to be harmed, no. I get that and have not stated you said it expressly once you clarified your oh so fine line you are walking on the issue...Your position that others should comply to self sensor according to some subjective opinion of attire tacitly condones that there is merit to this argument therefore one must comply or they should expect to be harmed. Blame shifting does not make this a valid argument. It is the crux of the problem and by acting as if it is a valid argument you are part of the problem. It is a hallmark tactic of abusive people.

The fact that you sum up you position by stating that if a victim does not do x then they can avoid being a victim is nonsense and is victim blaming. Abusive people abuse. The standards will just shift. Again, I am not mis-characterizing anything, I am pointing out which part of your statements imply this victim blaming and you seem incapable of seeing this. This is your problem, not mine.

It is not "blame shifting", it is using common sense precautions to protect your life and liberty.

There is a world of difference between saying that one should not walk through the projects dripping with jewelery to stating that I should constantly assess every garment I have according to what person may harbor some subconscious fear and wish to inflict bodily harm. You don't get it. The most dangerous people in possession of this ideology that a hoodie means they are a gangsta or a burqa means terrorist are in every race and social group. The only way to comply is to try and have some standard with no deviations. How is this a postion of anyone who supports liberty? It is completely tyrannical group think.

No one is looking to legislate attire and I made that clear early on in the thread. A hoodie or burqa alone is not the problem and I described the conditions and places where one would use common sense to either avoid or not wear those items to protect your life and liberty. You are blowing the hoodie thing and my posts way out of proportion.

btw - I do agree that standards can shift. When they do you again use common sense to protect yourself or face risking your safety.

juvanya
03-27-2012, 01:46 PM
At first I was siding with GRs son and supporting hoodies, but looking at this picture:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/26/article-2120504-1258795D000005DC-509_634x504.jpg

It turns respectable-looking black men into thugs.

http://i.imgur.com/DiOxT.png http://i.imgur.com/9YQ6T.png http://i.imgur.com/BpMaU.png
(in same order)

I used to like hoodies a lot, now less so. I feel creepy in them.

fr33
03-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Some of the most dangerous people wear suits and ties every day. Maybe that's why I feel creepy in a suit.

juvanya
03-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Some of the most dangerous people wear suits and ties every day. Maybe that's why I feel creepy in a suit.
Certainly.
http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2006/03/16/image1414194x.jpg http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2011/03/barack-obama1.jpg

But that doesnt change the fact that suits look much more respectable than hoodies, and perception is frequently key. The fellow who wrote this article (https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/18/opinion/sunday/young-black-and-frisked-by-the-nypd.html) says he frequently wears suits so he doesnt get harassed or feared.

cajuncocoa
03-27-2012, 02:07 PM
At first I was siding with GRs son and supporting hoodies, but looking at this picture:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/26/article-2120504-1258795D000005DC-509_634x504.jpg

It turns respectable-looking black men into thugs.

http://i.imgur.com/DiOxT.png http://i.imgur.com/9YQ6T.png http://i.imgur.com/BpMaU.png
(in same order)

I used to like hoodies a lot, now less so. I feel creepy in them.I support hoodies....and I support business dress as well. There's a time and a place for everything. In the top picture, suits would be a better choice. In my opinion.