PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi-American woman beaten to death in San Diego , racially motivated attack suspected

moderate libertarian
03-26-2012, 06:34 AM
Not sure if this is as big a news story in US MSM as it seems to be in world media, is this being reported by US TV media?

Vigilantes 'beat Iraqi mother to death' in the US
An Iraqi woman brutally beaten in her southern California home in an apparently racially-motivated attack has reportedly died in hospital

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02177/Shaima_Alawadi_2177087c.jpg

"During the initial stages of this investigation, a threatening note was discovered very close to where the victim was found," police Lieutenant Mark Coit told the network.

Ms Alawadi's daughter said the note told the family to go back to Iraq and called them "terrorists," according to CNN.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9165952/Vigilantes-beat-Iraqi-mother-to-death-in-the-US.html

Hijabi mother’s death after severe beating sends shockwaves across the U.S.
Sunday, 25 March 2012

http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/03/25/203047.html

There is an interesting comment below alarabiya news article asking Obama to speak out about this. Obama's people may have to weigh their words carefully if they did decide to let Obama speak out about this suspected racially motivated attack against an hijab wearing woman considering that Obama's handlers in 2008 had asked some hijab wearing arab girls to be removed from a group photo of his campaign volunteers.

6 - Waiting for Obama to issue statement on Shaima
Does he have courage to claim her as his own too?

tod evans
03-26-2012, 06:37 AM
This ought to be interesting....

MikeStanart
03-26-2012, 06:38 AM
March:

RACE WAR MONTH.

So tired of the narrative the MSM is creating.

moderate libertarian
03-26-2012, 06:39 AM
Obama Campaign Bars Muslim Women In Headscarves From Being Photographed With Obama

June 18, 2008

Two Muslim women at Barack Obama’s rally in Detroit Monday were barred from sitting behind the podium by campaign volunteers seeking to prevent the women’s headscarves from appearing in photographs or on television with the candidate.

hillbuzz.org/obama-campaign-bars-muslim-women-in-headscarves-from-being-photographed-with-obama

There is an NYT blog on this:

March 25, 2012, 1:33 pm
Killing of Iraqi Woman in San Diego Draws Global Condemnation Online
By ROBERT MACKEY

The death in San Diego on Saturday of an Iraqi immigrant, the victim of what appeared to be a hate crime, provoked a wave of outraged comments from bloggers who compared the killing to the shooting of an unarmed Florida teenager last month. The woman, Shaima Alawadi, died three days after her daughter discovered her body in a pool of blood inside their home along with a note that said, “Go back to your country, you terrorist.”

On Twitter, where her death became the most-discussed topic worldwide within hours, bloggers and journalists traced a connection between the headscarf that the pious mother of five wore and the hooded sweatshirt that the Florida teenager, Trayvon Martin, was wearing when he was killed by a neighborhood watch volunteer in Sanford.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/killing-of-iraqi-woman-in-san-diego-draws-global-condemnation-online/

March:

RACE WAR MONTH.

So tired of the narrative the MSM is creating.

Iraq was attacked in March 2003 by US.
Although I'm not clear what you meant as there does not seem to be much coverage of this killing in MSM let alone a narrative. If initial reports proved to be accurate, this would be a racially motivated attack without any ambiguity.

PatriotOne
03-26-2012, 07:36 AM
Shaima Alawadi, 32 and a mother of five,

Five more people given a good excuse to REALLY hate us Americans. Thanks.

Pisces
03-26-2012, 07:52 AM
I don't think anyone should jump to the conclusion that this was a hate crime just because of a note left at the scene of the woman's body and the earlier threatening letter. Maybe I've watched too many Forensic Files episodes; I remember a couple of them where husbands mailed phony "stalker" letters to their own homes prior to the murders in order to throw investigators off track. This whole scenario just seems a little strange to me.

slamhead
03-26-2012, 08:26 AM
There is something fishy about this story. I guarantee there is more to it. I would not jump to conclusions.

oyarde
03-26-2012, 10:28 AM
San Diego has a faily high murder rate each yr per 100,000 , and other crimes as well, burglary, arson etc.

moderate libertarian
03-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Results of investigation should confirm the motive and possible suspects. By the time Obama returns from Korea and decides to speak up about this, he should have received latest briefing. So far not seen any report that DoJ has been asked to investigate.

Past success record of investigation of an Arab-American killed in anti arab terrorism in CA is not too promising.

Alex Odeh, Arab-American Leader Killed in Santa Ana Bomb Blast 25 Years Ago, Remembered With $1 Million Reward for Killers

By Matt Coker Mon., Oct. 18 2010

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2010/10/alex_odeh_fbi_murder_investiga.php

Iceclops
03-26-2012, 11:25 AM
I don't know if it's being reported by the TV media in the US, but I found out about this online. At first I thought it was very unfortunate that something like this happened but then I saw the video of the daughter and it seemed really off. Her crying didn't seem natural at all and as if it was an act. And then I remembered stories of honor killings and it made me very suspicious. The woman was on life support for like less than a day? They usually need the family's consent before taking them off, and I can't imagine a family taking them off life support that fast after such an unexpected tragedy. How convenient that would be for them to have the say if someone in the family was the culprit. Not to mention the weapon used, a tire iron... it sounds more like a spur of the moment domestic abuse, not the work of a racist trying to eliminate muslims. I would expect males to commit race crimes more often than females, but if males were involved, I would expect them to target the man of the house and not have the heart to murder a woman. So if it really was a race crime and not an honor killing, I would suspect a female as the culprit which seems less likely than it being a cover up for a domestic abuse case which is more often the cause.

dannno
03-26-2012, 12:57 PM
San Diego has a faily high murder rate each yr per 100,000 , and other crimes as well, burglary, arson etc.

What?!? I have NO idea where you get that from... San Diego, despite being a border city and just over an hour from L.A., is one of the safest cities in the world.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2010/may/25/san-diego-boasts-one-of-nations-lowest-violent/

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/feb/02/san-diegos-crime-rate-lowest-1963/

BlackTerrel
03-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Iraq was attacked in March 2003 by US.
Although I'm not clear what you meant as there does not seem to be much coverage of this killing in MSM let alone a narrative. If initial reports proved to be accurate, this would be a racially motivated attack without any ambiguity.

This is a very sad story no matter what the backstory. You don't need to try and twist it to fit your own agenda.

Here are 1,060 MSM articles on this. Not sure where you're getting the "ignored" bit.

https://news.google.com/news/more?hl=en&gl=us&q=iraqi+woman&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dxFOAamd1GXA6PM89V98fvKe_IOHM&ei=Wx1xT7buKKKjiQKDr8j5DA&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CDIQqgIwAA

moderate libertarian
03-26-2012, 11:22 PM

SD also houses major military base, I doubt US military would open a base in a high crime area. But more precisely. where are you getting these stats from?

This is a very sad story no matter what the backstory. You don't need to try and twist it to fit your own agenda.

Here are 1,060 MSM articles on this. Not sure where you're getting the "ignored" bit.

https://news.google.com/news/more?hl=en&gl=us&q=iraqi+woman&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dxFOAamd1GXA6PM89V98fvKe_IOHM&ei=Wx1xT7buKKKjiQKDr8j5DA&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CDIQqgIwAA

When in hurry, Drudge Report substitutes for MSM, was wondering if this was being talked about in TV media also.
It is my impression that there is certain level of racial supremacism/discrimination in US media and arabs and jews are not treated exatcly equally as they should be. If you watched US TV news and pundits, did they devote about same time to foreign French jewish victims and arab-American victim in an American city, both suspected racialy motivated attacks? There coverage of children killed in Gaza vs Israeli settlemets or Israel is usually very different and smacks of racism.

oyarde
03-26-2012, 11:56 PM
[QUOTE=moderate libertarian;4314131]SD also houses major military base, I doubt US military would open a base in a high crime area. But more precisely. where are you getting these stats from?

The reason the Army moved out of Ft Ord was because of the high cost of living .... San Diego , I just briefly looked at crime stats from 99 to 04

, considering most crime would not be reported... Also , they are one of the world leaders per capita of police state DUI's , to each his own ... US military could give a crap about high crime , think so ? check out Lawton Ok. , seriously . check it out.....

oyarde
03-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Also , crime stats are manipulted , more so in certain places , like military towns with alarge prescence , Lawton OK , is the best REAL glimpse ...

BlackTerrel
03-27-2012, 09:19 PM
When in hurry, Drudge Report substitutes for MSM, was wondering if this was being talked about in TV media also.
It is my impression that there is certain level of racial supremacism/discrimination in US media and arabs and jews are not treated exatcly equally as they should be. If you watched US TV news and pundits, did they devote about same time to foreign French jewish victims and arab-American victim in an American city, both suspected racialy motivated attacks? There coverage of children killed in Gaza vs Israeli settlemets or Israel is usually very different and smacks of racism.

Every case is different - to expect exactly the same level of coverage for every story is a standard that no one can meet. If the media is out to paint Muslims unfairly I'd argue that there is far more coverage of this case than the Muslim (who owned a US TV station) who chopped his wife's head off. At my last look there are 1,500 articles on this on Google news so it's not exactly being ignored.

It's sad that this woman died. It's sad that the kids in France died and it's sad that Trayvon died. How much coverage or what Obama chooses to comment on (based usually on what he is asked) doesn't change anything.

Also I'll be curious to see how this turns out. If this turns out to be a hate crime it will be the most bizarre hate crime I have ever heard of:

1. According to reports they live in an area with about 40,000 Iraqis

2. Of all the Iraqis in the area she was specifically selected and received a threatening note saying "go home terrorists" one week ago

3. Perpetrator came back one week later and snuck in to kill this woman with a tire iron.

It's certainly plausible. But it doesn't follow the typical pattern. We'll see what happens. But rushing to conclusions is generally not the best idea in these sorts of cases.

BlackTerrel
04-06-2012, 07:01 PM
The hate crime thing always seemed incredibly bizarre on this one. And latest evidence may corroborate that. Whoever it is I hope they find the scum that did it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57410556-504083/shaima-alawadi-iraqi-woman-killed-in-her-calif-home-was-planning-divorce-documents/

(CBS) EL CAJON, Calif. - The case of an Iraqi-American woman found beaten inside her Southern California home last month was originally reported as a possible hate crime, but according to newly released court documents, investigators are looking at the woman's family life as they investigate her murder.

Shaima Alawadi, 32, was discovered on March 21 in the kitchen of her home by her teenage daughter, Fatima Alhimidi, who called 911. She had been brutally beaten and died at the hospital three days later.

Police found a handwritten note at the scene reading "Go back to your country, you terrorist," according to CBS affiliate KMFB, and Fatima told CBS Los Angeles that it wasn't the first time they'd received a threatening note.

"A week ago they left a letter saying, 'This is our country, not yours, you terrorist,", said Fatima Alhimidi, 17. "My mom ignored that, thinking [it was] just kids playing around, pranking."

But a search warrant affidavit mistakenly released to the San Diego Union-Tribune on Wednesday indicates that turmoil inside Alawadi's family has raised police suspicions. Specifically, a family member told detectives that Alawadi was planning to leave her husband and move to Texas at the time of her death.

Police found partially filled out divorce papers in her Ford Explorer and as of March 27, when the search warrant was requested, authorities had not been able to determine the whereabouts of her husband, Kassim Alhimidi, at the time of her death.

In addition, according to the affidavit, Fatima Alhimidi allegedly jumped out of a moving vehicle driven by her mother after being caught in a car with a 21-year-old man in November 2011. She was admitted to the hospital, and told personnel there that she was being forced to marry a cousin. But when police showed up to interview her, she refused to speak to them.

Less than four hours after finding her mother in the kitchen, Alhimidi sent a text message to an as-yet unidentified person saying "The detective will find out tell them cnt talk," according to the affidavit. Police received a warrant to search her phone, as well as other electronic devices in the home.

slamhead
04-10-2012, 12:22 PM
There is something fishy about this story. I guarantee there is more to it. I would not jump to conclusions.

Anyone who was suspicious about this will probably be proven correct.

http://www.10news.com/news/30837032/detail.html