PDA

View Full Version : Wrongfully convicted.......No more legislation!

tod evans
03-26-2012, 05:47 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/25/justice/wrongful-conviction-payments/index.html?hpt=ju_c2

The link is about some poor fellow who did time for a crime he didn't commit, the author pushes for legislation to compensate him for time served.

I'm dead set against more legislation, it has a way of backfiring especially once lawyers get involved.

Instead I propose that the immunity laws be repealed.

This would permit folks like the fellow in the article to sue each and every government employee PERSONALLY for the wrongs done to him.

If government employees could be held financially responsible for unethical/immoral or even illegal behavior then possibly such a thing as a "fair trial" would exist.

As things stand now the taxpayer funds the whole darn thing from the cops through the courts to the prisons and now we are being asked to pay for the government employees "mistakes".

We are paying the government employees once to do their job..........If they fail to do the job they were hired to do then they should be held personally responsible.

Can anybody here offer an opinion as to why "our employees" shouldn't be held accountable for their actions?

PaulConventionWV
03-26-2012, 06:24 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/25/justice/wrongful-conviction-payments/index.html?hpt=ju_c2

The link is about some poor fellow who did time for a crime he didn't commit, the author pushes for legislation to compensate him for time served.

I'm dead set against more legislation, it has a way of backfiring especially once lawyers get involved.

Instead I propose that the immunity laws be repealed.

This would permit folks like the fellow in the article to sue each and every government employee PERSONALLY for the wrongs done to him.

If government employees could be held financially responsible for unethical/immoral or even illegal behavior then possibly such a thing as a "fair trial" would exist.

As things stand now the taxpayer funds the whole darn thing from the cops through the courts to the prisons and now we are being asked to pay for the government employees "mistakes".

We are paying the government employees once to do their job..........If they fail to do the job they were hired to do then they should be held personally responsible.

Can anybody here offer an opinion as to why "our employees" shouldn't be held accountable for their actions?

Absolutely. This is a great example of why immunity laws are stupid.