PDA

View Full Version : DCM: Romney won IL because IL/Chicago has many "moderate Republicans"

moderate libertarian
03-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Notorious NBC at it again, heard in their TV report reasons for Romney win in IL. I don't like to use the term dooshcrums so I'll leave it there.

Does anyone know what is a "moderate Republican" ?

Keith and stuff
03-25-2012, 07:07 PM
It is a common term and usually used to refer to someone that is either moderate on social issues, fiscal issues, or both. They are common in the North, especially in the 'burbs or urban areas. The headline seems accurate.

They are very common in NH/MA/CT among Republicans. They can be various things. Perhaps moderate on social issues and somewhat conservative on fiscal issues, as is common in NH. For example, they are not extremely pro-life, do not personally hunt and aren't against civil unions (or even gay marriage in NH) but they think taxes are about right or too high. Moderate Republicans, at least in New England, think of Romney, Huntsman and Paul as their 3 favorite candidates and Santorum and Perry as their least favorite. Moderate Republicans, at least where I live, tend to not be the working poor and they tend to be less religious than the average Republican.

moderate libertarian
03-25-2012, 07:16 PM
It is a common term and usually used to refer to someone that is either moderate on social issues, fiscal issues, or both. They are common in the North, especially in the 'burbs or urban areas. The headline seems accurate.

They are very common in NH/MA/CT among Republicans. They can be various things. Perhaps moderate on social issues and somewhat conservative on fiscal issues, as is common in NH. For example, they are not extremely pro-life, do not personally hunt and aren't against civil unions (or even gay marriage in NH) but they think taxes are about right or too high. Moderate Republicans, at least in New England, think of Romney, Huntsman and Paul as their 3 favorite candidates and Santorum and Perry as their least favorite. Moderate Republicans, at least where I live, tend to not be the working poor and they tend to be less religious than the average Republican.

Ok thank you for that explanation.

It's bit more nuanced than what I first guessed. But the idea of some "moderate republicans" out there who are moderately pro life but still don't mind killing non-human species for their hunting needs is intriguing.

On a tangential note, imo most important factor today would be their foreign policy related stances such as on killings of innocent Iraqis/Afghans during our radical intereventions in foreign lands. If I know that, I would know what I think of them.

Keith and stuff
03-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Think Jon Huntsman. He wants to pull out of Afghanistan but go to war with Iran. He doesn't want to get in a price or currency war with China. By typical US politician standards, it's actually a moderate foreign policy, some how. Those positions are likely similar to how most elected Democratic US Reps. and US Senators think on those issues.

Anti Federalist
03-25-2012, 07:57 PM
So, basically, O-bomb-ya voters.

People to whom things aren't so bad, the system just needs a slight tweaking in their favor in order to maximize their portfolios.

LibertyEagle
03-25-2012, 07:59 PM
In the past, "moderate Republicans" = Rockefeller-Republicans.