PDA

View Full Version : Is MSNBC looking to cancel Tucker Carlson's show?

Bradley in DC
11-14-2007, 11:14 AM
TUCKER - Is MSNBC looking to cancel Tucker Carlson's show? Sources tell Politics1 that executives at MSNBC are considering whether to cancel conservative commentator Tucker Carlson's daily political talk show as the cable channel ponders a move to the left to possibly reposition itself as a "FOX for the liberals." The move would be aimed at a younger and what they believe is a more liberal audience. While FOX's cantankerous Bill O'Reilly still holds a significant audience size advantage over MSNBC's Keith Olberman, it is among older viewers that O'Reilly swamps Olberman. [Editorial Comment: Count me among Olberman's audience, as I never watch O'Reilly.] Yet, among the younger 18-25 demographic, the two men are virtually tied. Carlson, by contrast with some conservative show hosts on FOX, is a more easy-going pundit well-liked for his civlity (and his previous penchant for jaunty bow-ties). "Tucker is a conservative with a sense of humor," said the Rev. Al Sharpton (D), a frequent guest on Carlson's show. Carlson has also given substantial exposure to the long-shot Presidential bid of Congressman Ron Paul (R). Like the Houston libertarian, Carlson opposes the Iraq War. Carlson is particularly popular with Paul's blogging army because he covered Paul when other major media outlets were ignoring him. Carlson also famously appeared on Dancing with the Stars to show a different side of the preppy pundit. Carlson is know for his quirky Libertarian streak. DC was shocked when Jon Stewart attacked Carlson's former show -- Crossfire -- which he hosted with liberal Paul Begala, as Carlson is among the least caustic of the rightwing talking heads. In related news, we also hear rumors from a reliable New York source that Carlson has sold a game show concept to a major network and inked a deal to host it. In response to the early buzz, Florida insurance salesman John Bertran is vowing to mount a grassroots effort to save Carlson's show. "Tucker is the only reason I tune in the MSNBC," Bertran told Politics1.

axiomata
11-14-2007, 12:22 PM
How is a liberal foil to FOX News going to advance dialog? This is just stupid. Do people really only like to hear one side to every story? Is that where the media market is going? I would not watch MSNBC without Tucker, and I currently watch more than just Tucker on MSNBC.

kylejack
11-14-2007, 12:25 PM
How is a liberal foil to FOX News going to advance dialog? This is just stupid. Do people really only like to hear one side to every story? Is that where the media market is going? I would not watch MSNBC without Tucker, and I currently watch more than just Tucker on MSNBC.

They're concerned with making money, not advancing dialog. That's just the free market in play.

werdd
11-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Msnbc as it stands right now, is my overall favorite news station, if you watch it from 6-10 everynight, you get a fairly balanced view of all the subjects of the day from liberal conservative and libertarian voices(tucker). If they cancelled tucker, id prolly stop watching it, well id still probably watch chris mathews.

Cowlesy
11-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Sounds like they want to become the Air America of Cable and truly solidify their standing as the back-of-the-bus cable news outlet.

kylejack
11-14-2007, 12:31 PM
The fact that we keep hearing about this may be because this is a test balloon they're floating. Should we give them hell and let them know we want to keep Tucker around?

angrydragon
11-14-2007, 12:32 PM
I thought Fox was liberal?

Goldwater Conservative
11-14-2007, 12:37 PM
People don't want a "liberal alternative" to Fox. They want a sane and impartial alternative to Fox. Mimicking them, even if you move in the "opposite" direction politically, is not how you achieve that.

reaver
11-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Lame. In my dream last night Tucker slammed a journalists face into a wall.

kylejack
11-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Lame. In my dream last night Tucker slammed a journalists face into a wall.

I think that was a homosexual, actually, and in real life, not your dream.

PaleoForPaul
11-14-2007, 12:39 PM
If MSNBC wants to boost their ratings they should continue to appeal to the left with Oberman, but also appeal to the paleoconservatives by better utilizing Tucker and Buchanan.

Chase
11-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Grrr, they better not get rid of Tucker. I'll stop watching MSNBC.

Fyretrohl
11-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Bah...Get the real news. Ignore the American conglomerations and watch a global channel, like the BBC America News or something similar. Not perfect yet, but, seems like a more 'real' understanding of issues and reporting of facts.

terlinguatx
11-14-2007, 02:50 PM

partypooper
11-14-2007, 03:03 PM
a month or so ago as i was watching 'tucker' i saw a commercial for olberman that touted it as the best show on msnbc or something. then the camera showed tucker who gulped as - apparently - he saw it. i felt so sorry for him :(. ever since they cancelled 'tucker' at 4:00 pm i worried that he would be fired.

i love tucker and i used to watch matthews regularly. now i am slowly shifting to CNN which i haven't watched for a decade. if 'tucker' is gone i will be done with msnbc.

RPFTW!
11-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Thats a shame, Tucker had his faults but overall he was a good guy. I wouldn't want to see him leave.

devil21
11-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Id rather host a game show than be forced to fake being a liberal to stay with MSNBC. Its obvious Tucker knew what was going down and probably why he has (for the most part) been covering Ron Paul when it was verboten. If you knew you were getting canned wouldn't you just say whatever the hell you wanted to?

fletcher
11-14-2007, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't watch MSNBC at all if Tucker were canceled.

werdd
11-14-2007, 04:21 PM
we are keeping his ratings so high, is why they havent fired him yet.

nexus7
11-14-2007, 06:18 PM
People don't want a "liberal alternative" to Fox. They want a sane and impartial alternative to Fox. Mimicking them, even if you move in the "opposite" direction politically, is not how you achieve that.

That's a good point. Just because you say you are left or right it does not matter because they are still marxists. Both neocons and cultural marxists.

The left vs. right paradigm is to keep the american people in perpetual stupidity.

Vote the person not the party.

Btw I think everyone should switch back to independent after the primary. F...k both sides.

nexus7
11-14-2007, 06:19 PM
If MSNBC wants to boost their ratings they should continue to appeal to the left with Oberman, but also appeal to the paleoconservatives by better utilizing Tucker and Buchanan.

Olbermann does nothing but promote the proto-typical neo-marxist agenda. He is the "lefts" bill o'reilly. i.e. more of the same.

nexus7
11-14-2007, 06:21 PM
Bah...Get the real news. Ignore the American conglomerations and watch a global channel, like the BBC America News or something similar. Not perfect yet, but, seems like a more 'real' understanding of issues and reporting of facts.

Eh, bbc isn't exactly fair and balanced either. In fact there are no good news programs on tv. I think people should watch online news.

JosephTheLibertarian
11-14-2007, 06:26 PM
you think a news network with a libertarian agenda would do well?

werdd
11-14-2007, 06:28 PM
good old rupert would buy anyones soul who started a libertarian newscorp