PDA

View Full Version : HMO Act of 1973 Question

SuperFlyGT
03-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Hello all,

I was chatting with a former coworker, and the topic of health care came up. My memory isn't great, but I mentioned that employers must provide health care under the HMO Act of 1973. He responded that (and correctly after doing some research) that employers are not required to provide health care to their employees.

I'm a little confused, and was seeking a bit of knowledge. According to Wikipedia (I know, not the best source, but the info confirms what I read on other sites):

"[the HMO act] required employers with 25 or more employees to offer federally certified HMO options IF they offered traditional health insurance to employees. It did not require employers to offer health insurance. The Act solidified the term HMO and gave HMOs greater access to the employer-based market. The Dual Choice provision expired in 1995."

My confusion comes from an excerpt in (I believe) Ron Paul's "Revolution: A Manifesto". I found a similar article from this book here (http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul339.html):

"The HMO Act of 1973 requires all but the smallest employers to offer their employees HMO coverage, and the tax code allows businesses — but not individuals — to deduct the cost of health insurance premiums."

Is there a contradiction here from Dr. Paul?

Thanks in advance!

Acala
03-26-2012, 09:41 AM
The tax code rewards offering health coverage and the HMO act requires that any coverage offered includes HMO.