PDA

View Full Version : Redistricting and delegate allocation

CTRattlesnake
03-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Are delegates that are awarded by cd based off of the old districts or the new districts according to the 2010 census

CTRattlesnake
03-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Bump for answers-- ver important guys

tsai3904
03-24-2012, 08:40 PM
In Illinois, they were based on the new districts. I'm pretty sure all CD delegates are based on the new districts.

PolicyReader
03-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Are delegates that are awarded by cd based off of the old districts or the new districts according to the 2010 census
From what I've read of TX it's the new districts.

Uriah
03-24-2012, 09:03 PM
In Iowa everything is based on the new districts.

PauliticsPolitics
03-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Yes, all new districts.
The people being elected will be active under the new districts, so the elections must be run under the new districts.

ichirix
03-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Ditto for Kansas

eduardo89
03-25-2012, 01:16 AM
From what I've read of TX it's the new districts.

Texas doesn't have new districts yet I thought. There's a big lawsuit and the courts will settle it.

PolicyReader
03-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Texas doesn't have new districts yet I thought. There's a big lawsuit and the courts will settle it.
As I understand it (and this is a few weeks out of date so things may not be the same now) they hadn't drawn all the new boundaries yet, or rather the way they were being drawn was contested but the policy was that it was to be resolved before the vote cycle and they were to be the ones used.
Now what they will actually be is still in question to the best of my knowledge, as is whether they'll actually be done on time.

Someone on the ground there may have better / more current information than I do however.

Carlybee
03-25-2012, 01:48 AM
Yes it's the new districts in Texas.

Redistricting Update XII: DOJ Issues Preclearance on RPT Rules
March 20, 2012

On Monday, the Republican Party of Texas received a letter from the U.S. Department of Justice that confirmed federal pre-clearance of the temporary and emergency changes to the RPT rules that were adopted on February 29 at the emergency meeting of the State Republican Executive Committee.

As was reported in previous redistricting updates, during the February redistricting trial, the three-judge federal panel in San Antonio indicated to Chairman Munisteri that the RPT needed to obtain USDOJ pre-clearance on the party's convention process. The DOJ attorney at the trial testified that his office would expedite the review of the changes and could reduce the approval time from a couple of months to a couple of weeks. The rules changes made by the SREC were submitted to the USDOJ on March 5, 2012 and this week the RPT received a letter verifying that the pre-clearance had indeed been expedited and approved.

Thus, the final legal obstacle has been overcome in the 2012 Republican Party of Texas convention process. The county and district conventions are moving forward on the dates of April 14 or April 21 (will vary by county), and the State Convention will be held on June 7-9 in Fort Worth. For a full list of RPT Rules governing the 2012 Election Cycle, you can visit www.TexasGOP.org and view the updated document.

Emergency SREC Meeting Update
March 1, 2012

On Wednesday, February 29th, an extraordinary emergency meeting of the State Republican Executive Committee was convened in Austin, TX. The purpose of the meeting was to consider adopting new rules in accordance with the San Antonio three-judge federal panel's instructions to propose a new way to pick delegates to the State Convention so as to allow for a May 29th or June 26th statewide primary date. As we previously reported, both the state Republican and Democratic parties reported to the Court that it would be impossible to comply with the current procedure for selecting delegates to state conventions and also to hold state conventions the first weekend of June. Both parties also told the Court that it was impossible to move the state conventions because of the necessity of lining up convention facilities and hotel rooms well in advance of the convention date. http://www.texasgop.org/posts/245-emergency-srec-meeting-update

REDISTRICTING ADVISORY - New Interim Maps Out
February 28, 2012

UPDATED: 3:20pm - The three judge panel in San Antonio has posted new state house, state senate and Congressional maps to be used for the 2012 elections. We are presuming that an order will follow in the next day or two, which confirms that these will be the maps - along with a new scheduling order. We will keep you advised. We anticipate having an analysis of the new districts available either late this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Maps can be viewed at RedViewer - http://gis1.tlc.state.tx.us/