PDA

View Full Version : Liberty is prosperity

downunder
03-24-2012, 05:16 AM
Hey guys,

Check out this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p_bkmYOXiaM

An esteemed scholar of Islam discusses the Islamic system of politics and the message resonates because there are quite a few similarties with Ron Paul's idea of liberty. Btw, this has nothing to do with modern day politics in muslim populated regions which have nothing but secular dictatorships ruling over them.

Start from the 11:25 minute mark. Here are some of the points that I could pick up:

* National government does very little, primary responsbility is national defense
* No other traditional responsbilities or duties (limited government power)
* Health care seldom provided by state, this is a responsbility of local communities (no mandates, churches etc supporting people)
* National government had no role in education (elimante department of education)
* Communities (state government?) were self governing and could not be overuled by national government (liberty)
* Most citizens never had a need to interact with the national government/ruler in their entire lives and felt free (no TSA, homeland security, IRS, personel mandates)
* Citizens had a radical form of freedom and were regulated at the state/local level by their local communities (rule of the people, for the people, not bureaucrats)
* People could travel freely without documentation / check points / etc
* 2.5% poor/charity tax for muslims, 12gram worth of silver for non-muslims (about $5 at today's market rates)

note. The 2.5% tax was not an income tax, this was a wealth tax, i.e. any money you haven't spent and have held onto for more than 12 months. It's important to note that this was to be collected by the local government and distributed to the people within the region / community that the tax was collected in.

Look at what the "muslim countries" have now. No liberty, no prospertiy, just tyrants and dictators. I hope Ron Paul wins and US citizens can truly be free while they still have a chance.

Czolgosz
03-24-2012, 05:18 AM
Millions of free people will certainly advance you further and quicker than a few government monoliths.

revned
03-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Millions of free people will certainly advance you further and quicker than a few government monoliths.

Truth!