PDA

View Full Version : How to respond to this???

labragg1
11-14-2007, 10:24 AM
This was posted recently in another forum I'm in--I know it's a little skewed, but what's the best way to respond to it?

Here's where it came from:
http://www.clubforgrowth.com/2007/10/ron_pauls_record_on_economic_i.php

"Ron Paul's record contains some very laudable components," said Club for Growth President Pat Toomey. "On taxes, regulation, and political speech, his record is superb. His spending record is impressive, though Paul has recently embraced pork-barrel projects in direct contradiction to his vociferous opposition to unconstitutional appropriations by the federal government."

Unfortunately, his stubborn idealism often takes Ron Paul further away from achieving the limited-government, pro-growth philosophy he advocates. This is certainly the case with school choice, free trade, tort reform, and entitlement reform, in which he votes against vital free trade agreements, competitive school choice initiatives, and tort reform proposals.

"While we give Ron Paul credit for his philosophical ideals, politicians have the responsibility of making progress, and often, Ron Paul votes against making progress because, in his mind, the progress is not perfect," Mr. Toomey continued. "In these cases, although for very different reasons, Ron Paul is practically often aligned with the most left-wing Democrats, voting against important, albeit imperfect, pro-growth legislation. Ron Paul is, undoubtedly, ideologically committed to pro-growth limited-government policies, but his insistence on opposing all but the perfect means that under a Ron Paul presidency we might never get a chance to pursue the good too."

labragg1
11-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Anybody?

Zarxrax
11-15-2007, 04:12 PM
It sounds like this guy just wants Ron to "compromise" his beliefs to make a little progress. The problem with compromise, is when you do it enough, you eventually completely lose whatever it was you were holding onto.

Goldwater Conservative
11-15-2007, 04:28 PM
though Paul has recently embraced pork-barrel projects in direct contradiction to his vociferous opposition to unconstitutional appropriations by the federal government."

And how is anyone else better? Anyway, he only does that after Congress has already voted to spend the money. Since it's going to be spent no matter what, he might as well get some of it back for his district, since they pay their taxes just like anybody else.

Unfortunately, his stubborn idealism often takes Ron Paul further away from achieving the limited-government, pro-growth philosophy he advocates. This is certainly the case with school choice, free trade, tort reform, and entitlement reform, in which he votes against vital free trade agreements, competitive school choice initiatives, and tort reform proposals.

Didn't this guy just complain about unconstitutional appropriations? Paul votes against those not because he disagrees with them, but because the Constitution does not authorize the federal government to do them. And managed trade is not free trade, whatever pretty labels you put on it.

IHaveaDream
11-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Everyone is not going to be receptive to Dr. Paul's allegiance to constitutional government. You have to remain focused throughout the campaign. If you can win them over, fine. If you can't, pat yourself on the back for trying and forge ahead.

Corydoras
11-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Ron Paul isn't a corporatist, and the Club for Growth's general attitude seems to me to be immoderately friendly toward megacorp businesses.

dsentell
11-15-2007, 11:47 PM
. . . he votes against vital free trade agreements, . . .

As Dr. Paul STRONGLY supports free trade, I can only surmise that this is referring to NAFTA and CAFTA . . .