PDA

View Full Version : Huckster's past. Just in case some one dares to post another Hucster thread

peruvianRP
11-14-2007, 10:15 AM
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/10/14/huckabee_could_face_hurdles_from_the_past/?page=2

"It was one of those things I just feel horrible about. You just ache all the way to the bone over what happened," the former Arkansas governor said in an interview. "But nobody could know that" Dumond would attack again, he said.

Dumond's case is notorious in Arkansas. In 1984, he raped a 17-year-old girl. While awaiting trial at his home, he was castrated by, he said, masked intruders. Later, after Dumond went to prison for life, some people in Arkansas saw the sentence as excessive, especially given his mutilation.

Huckabee was one, and, after becoming governor in 1996, he announced his desire to commute Dumond's sentence. Dumond's rape victim, Ashley Stevens, saw it differently.

Stevens, now 40 and living in the western United States, said she tried to persuade Huckabee not to shorten the sentence for Dumond.

"I told [Huckabee]: If you ever let him out, he's going to do it again," she said in an interview.

A guitarist who plays in a band called Capitol Offense, Huckabee last year pardoned Rolling Stones star Keith Richards for a 31-year-old driving violation. Asked by reporters if he'd do the same for the average citizen, Huckabee said no, but quipped, "If you can play guitar like Keith Richards, I'd do it for you."