PDA

View Full Version : Foreigners who love Paul and want to donate

Im4freedom
03-23-2012, 03:10 PM
I keep seeing comments from people all over the world who want to help out Ron Paul's campaign, but are unable to donate. Can they donate to the Revolutionpac or Campaign for Liberty? Or does money for Superpacs have to come from U.S. citizens only also? It seems there could be some way to allow these folks to come on board and help out the campaign in some form.

eduardo89
03-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Only US citizens or permanent residents can contribute to RevPAC.

The Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA) prohibits any foreign national from contributing, donating or spending funds in connection with any federal, state, or local election in the United States, either directly or indirectly. It is also unlawful to help foreign nationals violate that ban or to solicit, receive or accept contributions or donations from them. Persons who knowingly and willfully engage in these activities may be subject to fines and/or imprisonment.

However, Campaign for Liberty is a 501(C)(4) organization. I'm quite sure foreigners can donate to them. I have donated in the past and I've never seen anything saying you have to be a citizen/permanent resident.

Furthermore:

Campaign for Liberty is a 501(c)4 lobbying organization which neither supports nor opposes candidates for public office

C4L is not legally allowed to endorse or oppose candidates, so they are not involved in any election.

RDM
03-23-2012, 03:51 PM
They could also look for businesses that sell Ron Paul items, where those businesses claim to donate a portion of proceeds to the Ron Paul campaign. I know the band Golden State was donating all proceeds from the song "Bombs" - (End this War) to the campaign from iTunes. Here's link: http://bit.ly/vh4KpR

PolicyReader
03-23-2012, 03:55 PM
They could also look for businesses that sell Ron Paul items, where those businesses claim to donate a portion of proceeds to the Ron Paul campaign. I know the band Golden State was donating all proceeds from the song "Bomb" - (End this War) to the campaign from iTunes. Here's link: http://bit.ly/vh4KpR
^This, in addition I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) that anyone is allowed to buy gear (hats, jackets, buttons etc.) from Ron Pauls site and those sales also help fund him. Since it's a purchase not a donation there aren't limitations that I'm aware of.

eduardo89
03-23-2012, 03:55 PM
They could also look for businesses that sell Ron Paul items, where those businesses claim to donate a portion of proceeds to the Ron Paul campaign. I know the band Golden State was donating all proceeds from the song "Bomb" - (End this War) to the campaign from iTunes. Here's link: http://bit.ly/vh4KpR

Businesses cannot donate to campaigns.

A business could donate to RevPAC or any other PAC/SuperPAC, as long as the business is American. (I don't think it has to be American owned, just registered in the US)

alucard13mmfmj
03-23-2012, 03:59 PM
How about opening up a business selling pieces of lint for 20 dollar and the business can donate 19 of the 20 to one of the PACs? :p

eduardo89
03-23-2012, 04:01 PM
How about opening up a business selling pieces of lint for 20 dollar and the business can donate 19 of the 20 to one of the PACs? :p

You'd have to pay 35% in taxes first ;)

Lindsey
03-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Can I receive "gifts" and then turn around and make donations?

Philosophy_of_Politics
03-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Foreign citizens can buy Official Merchandise in order to contribute.

eduardo89
03-23-2012, 04:19 PM

Of course you can. If I sent you $500 as a gift and you one day donated $500 to the campaign there'd be nothing wrong with that. As long as I don't send you the money with the intended purpose of you donating it and skirting federal law.

eduardo89
03-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Foreign citizens can buy Official Merchandise in order to contribute.

No, foreigners cannot buy merchandise from the campaign store. All purchases from the campaign count towards your donating limit.

PauliticsPolitics
03-23-2012, 04:42 PM
This can be dangerous.
Certainly, one can technically donate money given to them as gifts.
However, on any significant level, if a bunch of foreign citizens start sending you money, and you keep donating the money to Paul - not only might you get the Paul campaign in trouble for funneling foreign donations, you could be accused of some sort of crime akin to money laundering.

ronpaulhawaii
03-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Could they help ease the economic hardship some of our delegates will be facing to go to Tampa to represent Dr. Paul?

eduardo89
03-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Could they help ease the economic hardship some of our delegates will be facing to go to Tampa to represent Dr. Paul?

Yes. Foreigners can donate to chipins for things such as ads, grassroots projects, paying for delegate fees and trips, etc. I've donated to those things in the past and if I have any disposable income come convention time, I will be donating to the various chipins.