PDA

View Full Version : Delegate information for Arizona

RPinSEAZ
11-14-2007, 09:23 AM
This is copied from http://ronpaul.meetup.com/982/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3718412

Our guerrilla tactics ARE paying off! Thank you to EVERYONE who has ever marched in a Ron Paul rally, waved a sign on a street corner, spray- painted banners and hung them across town, put flyers all over cars in parking lots or any other non-traditional sort of advertisement. Because of your awesome work, people ARE hearing about Ron Paul! Keep up the good work!

Now it's time to move to phase II: Traditional Campaigning Tactics. Here are four of the basic calls to action:

I. Register Republican and get out and VOTE on Election Day, which in Arizona is February 5, 2008. Early voting starts January 10, 2008.

II. Become a Precinct Committeeman.

III. Get out and knock on doors of registered Republicans.

IV. Join us in January for phone-calling parties which will target registered Republican voters. Now let me explain why each of these actions is important:

I. If you are not registered Republican by midnight on January 7, 2008, you cannot vote for Ron Paul in the

Presidential Preference Election (PPE). If you do not vote for him, he will not win. If you DO vote for

him, he WILL win!

II(a). Becoming a precinct committeeman (PC) is EASY and important. Here is HOW you do it:

1. First, go to: www.azleg.gov and click on legislative maps, or click on this link (you can copy and paste it too):

http://159.87.126.6/mapping/default2.asp?tname=Original.2004.Legislative.Map&org2004leg=on&service=ircmaps&init=true

On the top, right-hand corner of the page, type in your home address and it will tell you which Legislative District (LD) you are in. Each LD is made up of even smaller units called Precincts. Each precinct is allotted a certain number of Precinct Committeemen depending on the number of registered Republicans. Most precincts need more PCs! In other words, your chance of being selected as a PC is very good!

2. Next, call AZ GOP Headquarters 602-957-7770, tell them your LD, ask when the next meeting will be held and ask for the name and number or email of the Precinct Chairman or LD Chairman.

3. Call the chairman NOW! Tell the Chairman you want to help make sure the Republican Party stays strong or that you just want to make sure Hillary isn't elected or whatever you feel comfortable saying and that you're interested in becoming a PC. Don?t tell him you're a Ron Paul supporter. Set up a time to meet him THIS WEEK! Ask to be appointed! Fill out the paperwork. You can bring a completed form with you or ask the chairman if he has the forms already. If you want to print your own form, you can print a copy from http://www.coletterosati.com/ . The link is on the left-hand scroll bar. If you have your voter ID card, you?ll know all the different districts, etc. to fill in at the top of the form. You MUST be registered Republican and have your Voter ID #. CALL YOUR CHAIRMAN TODAY!! CALL YOUR CHAIRMAN TODAY! CALL YOUR CHAIRMAN TODAY!! DO IT NOW!! DO IT NOW!! Time is running very short!

4. GO TO THE MEETING! I suggest you not show your Ron Paul colors until AFTER you have been officially selected as a Precinct Committeeman (which if you turn in your paperwork by the end of October, won't be until sometime in December). The chairman may be a strong supporter of another candidate and may not appoint you if he/she knows you're a Ron Paul supporter. Who knows, maybe they would appoint you anyway, but just to be safe, use discretion.

5. Keep going to the meetings. They are only once a month. It's EASY!! Keep in contact with your chairman and make sure the paperwork is getting through. I have found that the people are welcoming and happy to have new recruits.

II(b). Here is WHY it is important to be a Precinct

Committeeman (PC):

1. PCs are the only people who can vote for or become DELEGATES.

a. What is a delegate? Delegates are members of the Republican Party who represent their state in the National Convention (NC). The NC is the big event where the Republican Presidential Nominee is crowned.

We must have a strong presence of PCs to not only run for the office of delegate, but to vote ourselves into

office. Remember, only PCs can run for the office of delegate or vote for delegates.

b. For more info on how delegates are chosen in AZ,

go to http://www.trugop.org/Organization%20Bylaws.htm and click on Continuing Bylaws of the Arizona Republican

Party , go to Page 9 and read Article VI.

c. Only delegates can attend the National Convention which is a totally awesome, once-in-a-lifetime, crazy-fun PARTAAAAAY!

2. It is CRUCIAL that as many Ron Paul supporters as possible attend the National Convention (NC) as delegates! This is how it works:

a. After every state has voted in the primaries, all 2,719 delegates from across the country attend the NC (53 come from AZ). All of the delegates will then vote in the first ballot. The candidate with 1,259 votes or more wins the party nomination, end of story.

b. Let's say that no candidate garners 1,259 votes in the first ballot at the NC. Then there will be a second ballot. If there is a second ballot, it is crucial that we have strong Ron Paul support, here's why: In some states, including AZ, delegates are bound by law to vote for the candidate who won the popular ballot in their state in the first ballot at the NC. In the second ballot the delegates ARE NOT BOUND! They can vote their conscience! So if all 53 delegates personally support another candidate, Ron Paul will receive no votes on the second ballot.

Conversely, if Ron Paul loses the AZ popular nomination then in the first ballot he will receive no votes from AZ. However, if no candidate wins the first ballot, delegates from AZ who are Paul supporters CAN vote for him in the second ballot even though they were bound to vote for another on the first ballot.

3. PCs are given walking lists of all registered Republican (R) voters in your Precinct. Now you know whose door to knock when canvassing neighborhoods! Ask the Chairman for your list and you can usually get as many lists of as many precincts in your LD as you want. Ron Paul Headquarters will also be providing lists.

4. This is just my opinion: If you believe in limited government and strong personal liberties, becoming a PC is an important way to make a difference now and for the rest of your life. I know that many of you are usually members of another party, so when this election is over, if you chose to switch parties, become a PC in your party and help teach others what freedom really means! Otherwise, stay in the Republican Party and do the same! Regardless of party, we need to be active in spreading the freedom message.

III. Neighborhood Canvassing is a traditional campaigning tool that has been used for decades. It is very valuable because unlike signs or commercials that are broadcasted to a non-specific audience, canvassing the homes of registered Republicans puts us in DIRECT contact with our targeted market. (As a side note, the most valuable voters, known as "supervoters", are those voters who have voted in every previous election. Your PC list probably won't tell you who the supervoters are, but our state coordinator, Andre, will be working on finding these people so we can TALK TO THEM!

1. We will be doing two VERY IMPORTANT canvassing events in the next two weeks (more will come later, I'm sure!),

a. October 27, this Saturday: I've already sent out the info for Legislative District 11. If you can come, please do! This LD is the most important district in the ENTIRE STATE!! I cannot stress how very important this canvassing event is! We need at least six people. Please join us.

b. November 3, next Saturday: Massive neighborhood canvassing party . Andre (AZ State Coordinator for Ron Paul 2008 Campaign) will be showing us the ropes and teaching us how this is done RIGHT! I'm hoping that 100 people or more will show up!

2. After our initial canvassing party, I will look forward to hearing from people who want to canvass their own neighborhoods. Tell me when and where you will be meeting and if you need knocking lists. I will then post your event on the Meetup Calendar and if all goes as planned, you will have 1-10 people show up to help you out!

3. You can do this any time on your own as time permits. If you have 10 minutes to go to 3 houses before work or school, go for it! But if you want to do a bigger event (like on a Saturday), then by all means let me know in advance, and I'll post the event for you. I can't stress how valuable canvassing is. It is absolutely the most valuable tool we have! If you're serious about getting Paul into office and you have the time and energy to do this, please do. I know most of us have limited time for campaigning so you must decide for yourself how best to use that time. If sign waving is your thing and you prefer to do that, go for it and keep up the good work; that is definitely important too. I can't tell you what to do, but I encourage all of you to set aside some time for canvassing and PLEASE join us on the 27th of October for District 11 and on the 3rd of November for our MASSIVE CANVASSING PARTAAAY!

IV. Phone banking: We will start calling registered Republicans around the beginning of January, focusing on folks who have requested an early ballot. We'll be asking Paul supporters to host calling parties at their homes. Cell phones will be provided by Ron Paul HQ (it's more fun calling together!!!) although you can make calls in your own home whenever you have a free minute. More info will be coming as the time approaches.

My final thoughts: We must look at this in both a short-term and long-term perspective. The short-term is to get Paul elected. Win, lose or draw, the long-term is FREEDOM! Our work will never be done. Now that we know that there are THOUSANDS of Americans who still believe in the message of FREEDOM, there is HOPE FOR AMERICA! Ron Paul is our leader, but it is his message that attracts so many people! May we continue our efforts for this most valuable cause as long as we have breath in our bodies!

Keep up the AWESOME work and NEVER give up!

Yours in freedom,

Elisa Tunison

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased

at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it

Almighty God. I know not what course others may take,

but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death." ?

Patrick Henry

Questions? Call Jef Greenspan 602-690-4288

or Andre: 602-677-2014

RPinSEAZ
11-14-2007, 02:10 PM
http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/AZ-R.phtml

The Green Papers
2008 Presidential Primaries, Caucuses, and Conventions
Arizona Republican
Presidential Nominating Process
Primary: Tuesday 5 February 2008 (tentative date)
District and Country Conventions: Saturday 5 April - Saturday 19 April 2008 (tentative date)
District Caucus and State Convention: Saturday 10 May 2008 (tentative date)
Candidate Popular
Vote Delegate Votes
Soft
Pledged Soft
Unpledged Soft
Total Hard Total
(available) 53 100.00% 0 53 100.00% 53 100.00%
Total 53 100.00% 0 53 100.00% 53 100.00%

Delegate Selection: Winner-Take-All,
Polling hours 6:00a MST (1300 UTC) to 7:00p MST (0200 UTC).
Voter Eligibility: Closed Primary

53 total delegates - 10 base at-large / 24 re: 8 congressional districts / 3 party / 16 bonus

States Chronologically States Alphabetically Republican Convention Arizona Democrat

Arizona Primaries for Statewide offices and Congress

Arizona State and Local Government

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona law allows for a Tuesday 26 February 2008 primary however, the Governor may- by proclamation- proclaim an earlier date.

On 21 August 2007, Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano decided to move the state's Presidential Primary from Tuesday 26 February to Tuesday 5 February 2008. Media article.

23 July 2007: Arizona mulls primary move

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday 5 February 2008 (tentative date): All 53 of Arizona's delegates to the Republican National Convention are allocated to a presidential contender in today's Arizona Presidential Primary.

The 53 National Convention delegates are to be allocated to the presidential contender receiving the greatest number of votes in the primary statewide, notwithstanding that candidate's percentage of the total primary vote statewide. This winning candidate will be said to have received the 'final net primary vote'.

Saturday 5 April - Saturday 19 April 2008 (tentative date): The District and County Conventions (held two weeks prior to the state convention) elect delegates to the state convention.

Saturday 10 May 2008 (tentative date): The Arizona District Caucuses and State Republican Convention convenes.

24 distict delegates to the Republican National Convention are chosen in today's District Caucuses.

3 National Convention Delegates are selected in each of the 8 congressional districts.
The State Convention chooses 26 at-large delegates from Arizona to the Republican National Convention.

In addition, 3 party leaders, the National Committeeman, the National Committeewoman, and the chairman of the Arizona's Republican Party, will attend the convention by virtue of their position.

Congressional District

ARIZONA
Congressional Districts re: Counties
Counties District(s)
Apache CD 1
Cochise CD 8
Coconino CDs 1 & 2
Gila CD 1
Graham CD 1
Greenlee CD 1
La Paz CDs 2 & 7
Maricopa CDs 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7
Mohave CD 2
Navajo CDs 1 & 2
Pima CDs 7 & 8
Pinal CDs 1, 6, 7 & 8
Santa Cruz CDs 7 & 8
Yavapai CD 1
Yuma CD 7

Links Links to other web sites

Constitution Links to State Constitutions
• Arizona Constitution
Election Authority
• Citizens Clean Elections Commission
• Secretary of State - Elections
Legislature Links to State Legislatures
• Arizona House of Representatives
• Arizona State Senate
Republican
• Arizona Republican Party
Media & others
• Arizona Capitol Times - Phoenix
• Arizona Daily Star - Tucson
• Arizona Daily Sun - Flagstaff
• Casa Grande Valley Newspapers
• DC's Political Report - Arizona
• East Valley Tribune - Mesa
• KGUN TV - ABC - Tucson
• Kingman Daily Miner
• KOLD TV - CBS - Tucson
• Payson Roundup
• PHXnews.com - Phoenix
• Politics1.com - Arizona
• Prescott Newspapers Online
• Sedona Red Rock News
• Sierra Vista Herald
• Sonoran News - Cave Creek
• The Daily Dispatch - Douglas
• The Flagstaff Navajo-Hopi Observer
• The Republic - Phoenix
• The Sun - Yuma
• Today's News-Herald - Lake Havasu City
• Tucson Citizen

Last Modified: Sat Oct 13 17:54:03 MST 2007

Election - Primary, Caucus, and Convention Home

Presidential Hopefuls

States Alphabetically
Events Chronologically
Major Events Chronologically

Democratic "First Determining Step" Chronologically

Chronological Cumulative Allocation of Delegates
Weekly Delegate Distribution and Availability

Delegate Allocation
Democratic Quick Reference -- Republican Quick Reference
Democratic Detailed Delegate Allocation -- Republican Detailed Delegate Allocation

Democratic Delegate Selection and Voter Eligibility -- Republican Delegate Selection and Voter Eligibility

Primaries at a Glance

Documentation
Historical Analysis of the Presidential Nominating Process
Historical Analysis of the apportionment of delegate votes at the National Conventions of the two major parties
Primary/Caucus/Convention Glossary Third Parties (Green, Libertarian)

Straw Polls

The Green Papers Home

© Copyright 1999-2007
Richard E. Berg-Andersson, Research and Commentary, E-Mail: REBA@TheGreenPapers.com
Tony Roza, Webmaster, E-Mail: TonyR@TheGreenPapers.com
URL: http://www.TheGreenPapers.com
0.043s