PDA

View Full Version : The Keystone XL Pipeline Exposes Utter Congressional Hypocrisy

03-22-2012, 12:15 AM
hm

03-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Does no one agree?

Pisces
03-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Here's my 2 cents:

I think Congress should stay out of this and let each state draft their own laws regulating eminent domain. What is good for Nebraska may not work in New Jersey or Delaware. Speaking of Nebraska, I remember reading that their governor and legislature were working on reforming their eminent domain laws to address the Keystone pipeline situation.

I also wonder if the pipeline companies really need to use eminent domain laws to build their pipelines. When an oil & gas producer wants to drill a well, they have to offer the landowners something in order to access their land. They don't have much trouble getting landowners to lease them land and those companies still make good profits. Of course the pipeline companies couldn't offer royalties but maybe just a small percentage of the transportation fees that they charge the oil & gas producers.

If the property rights issues are taken care of, is there still a problem with the Keystone pipeline?